OT: Favourite Whiskey

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
@Fig my favorite Calgary Places are Liquor Depot stores. My go to these days when I'm in town or passing through is usually the Brentwood store as it's not far off from either the University or #1 on the way to Banff. I've phoned them prior to arrival and ordered multiple bottles. Get a discount that way. There was one on 17th south of downtown at one point too, maybe the Mount Royal store? Both superb liquor collections. I've also been to Kensington which has probably the best selection, but the highest prices too. Coop stores have been good to me on the Glendronach and Mortlach side of things.

Sierra Springs up in Airdrie is pretty nice too though the only time I was in there the staff seemed pretty confused. I follow them on Instagram and they have some pretty sweet specials at times.

I got pretty familiar with the Edmonton area liquor stores too, though I appreciate Edmonton is a dirty word. Liquor Depot up there (southwest), Keg n Cork and Chateau Louis were my favorites.

Minneapolis has some great ones as well. Obviously Total Wine wins on pricing but South Lyndale is by far my favorite store. They let you taste samples and almost every bottle of liquor is open. Merwin Liquors is a really neat store, but holy shady area Batman. There used to be a really great, small shop down in Burnsville as well, but I think Total Wine killed it.

I know the liquor depot store you speak of. It's a pretty decent size with decent prices and I used to go to that location a lot. But lately, more and more larger and more convenient liquor stores have popped up in the city, so I go to those instead. Coop has been expanding like crazy, and a bunch of places are also doing aggressive expansion in the last 5 years or so. Kensington Wine Market is indeed the most expensive in the city by up to 10-15%, but they also often have stuff that no one else seems to have. Their employees are probably the most knowledgeable in the city. From what I also hear, if you become a regular, they will often offer you free samples or significantly discounted samples that are very high end bottles for spirits and wine, so for those that go regularly, I hear it balances out long term but I don't go there, so I cannot confirm this personally.

If you can imagine the size of the Brentwood liquor depot is only about 1/3 the size of Wine and Beyond Sage Hill, that's why I go there to peruse and look for interesting things to try now. The crazy thing (for those who don't know) is that the Brentwood liquor depot is a pretty big liquor store (a small supermarket). Wine and Beyond is like being a kid again and being amazed the first time walking into a candy store.

Reactions: buggs

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Kensington Wine Market is indeed the most expensive in the city by up to 10-15%, but they also often have stuff that no one else seems to have. Their employees are probably the most knowledgeable in the city. From what I also hear, if you become a regular, they will often offer you free samples or significantly discounted samples that are very high end bottles for spirits and wine, so for those that go regularly, I hear it balances out long term but I don't go there, so I cannot confirm this personally.

My expectation is that the regulars that get these fringe benefits are the ones spending a shit load of money there at the inflated prices, so it probably doesn't balance out. I'm a regular at my LC but I don't think anyone will be rolling out the red carpet for me when they see me come in to buy my few bottles of $15 wine. :laugh:

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
My expectation is that the regulars that get these fringe benefits are the ones spending a shit load of money there at the inflated prices, so it probably doesn't balance out. I'm a regular at my LC but I don't think anyone will be rolling out the red carpet for me when they see me come in to buy my few bottles of $15 wine. :laugh:

:laugh: I don't disagree with you.

To be fair, I've also heard claims intangibles of a good purchase experience, good chats, helping avoiding a bad purchase decision, samples that lead to good purchases, news that helps a purchase decision before prices spike... Like leaving a tip for good service?

But a liquor store isn't a bar. But adding to a local specialty store business margin so they're more like to survive isn't necessarily bad. I still think some of the justifications are so bad they're kinda funny though. If you have a place you're a regular and are willing to pay a premium for an experience you don't have elsewhere, that's fine. It's like shopping at superstore/lob laws vs Safeway vs whole foods. I don't think those people are wrong, but I agree with you I have a hard time justifying doing the same as them.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
You probably don't want me to start in on my Whole Foods rant and since it doesn't pertain to whisky, I'll leave it at 'a fool and their money...'

There's a store I love in Minneapolis - South Lyndale Liquors - that will let you try a sample of almost anything in the store. They don't tend to carry the super high end stuff that Kensington does in Calgary, but they'll have plenty of $200-300 bottles that you're welcome to try if you like. I assume that's probably not open to everyone, but I'm middle aged and generally dress ok so I pass the visual test that I'm not just a drunk looking to top up. (they're probably wrong about that, but I do buy stuff so...). I expect that Kensington appeals more to a demographic that I don't quite fit into so I'm not their target audience. I just know a fair bit about Scotch rather than having the wherewithal to buy the higher end product. I've still never paid more than $200 for a bottle of whisky. Which when you think about it even being close to that is just nuts. I remember being young and griping about a bottle of rum costing $25 for a 26. :laugh:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You probably don't want me to start in on my Whole Foods rant and since it doesn't pertain to whisky, I'll leave it at 'a fool and their money...'

There's a store I love in Minneapolis - South Lyndale Liquors - that will let you try a sample of almost anything in the store. They don't tend to carry the super high end stuff that Kensington does in Calgary, but they'll have plenty of $200-300 bottles that you're welcome to try if you like. I assume that's probably not open to everyone, but I'm middle aged and generally dress ok so I pass the visual test that I'm not just a drunk looking to top up. (they're probably wrong about that, but I do buy stuff so...). I expect that Kensington appeals more to a demographic that I don't quite fit into so I'm not their target audience. I just know a fair bit about Scotch rather than having the wherewithal to buy the higher end product. I've still never paid more than $200 for a bottle of whisky. Which when you think about it even being close to that is just nuts. I remember being young and griping about a bottle of rum costing $25 for a 26. :laugh:

Of course, $25 way back then was a LOT of money. :nod:

Come on, I want to read your Whole Foods rant. They are typically epic. Put it in the Lounge if you don't think it fits here. :hyper:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Has anyone tried this...
Ragnarök. Whiskey Aged Mead - 750ml. Lot W2019-06 PRE ORDER
7C01876A-C916-4992-BFE6-6E07259920C3.jpeg

Reactions: QuietContrarian

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
My favourite whisky

d66Wu9.jpg

Sadly just finished this beaut yesterday - And it’s not exactly a whisky you just buy, as it is quite pricey.

I come from a whisky connaisseur home, so I would get a slap if I called any non scotch a whisky :laugh:

Even tho a tall glass of Jack and coke did the trick many a times, it was still just a bourbon. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: BatVader

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pre gaming for the School dance in grade 10 ended whiskey for me. Violently ill and heaving all night. Never touch the stuff now because when I do just to double check I still gag at the taste.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Pre gaming for the School dance in grade 10 ended whiskey for me. Violently ill and heaving all night. Never touch the stuff now because when I do just to double check I still gag at the taste.
That's how I feel with Tequila - Even the smell can make me gag.

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I did that with Canadian Club, grade 10 also. Still really don't drink rye but I forced myself to like Scotch back in my early 30s. Suffice to say grade 10 added height to the hill I had to climb.

As for tequila, it still gives me the shivers. But that's no knock on tequila, it's the use pattern that I engaged it with during my youth. There are fabulous tequilas and if you drink it as a sipper there are some stunning versions around.

@AstrophysicalJet Balvenie is awesome, but it's just so regularly expensive, even stateside. I've got a few of the 14 y/o Caribbean Cask versions stored away as they were quite cheap at Superstore in Alberta.

On the Port side of things I don't much like Port on its own but I've found that whiskies like the Portwood are very enjoyable after I've let the bottle breathe for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if all of the versions of Cragganmore's distillers edition are port finished but I've had a couple that are and they were very good. Glendronach has had a number of various port finished whiskies that are excellent as well. They've released them at various age statements over the year and the 15 y/o was excellent. They released an 18 y/o which I never got my hands on and the current release is a 10 y/o which is being reviewed favorably (does anyone unfavorably review whisky these days?). I really like Glendronach as a distillery and find it similar to Balvenie. Glenmorangie has the Quinta Ruban as well as a port finish. I've had it but didn't really like it all that much but I think it was a younger whisky at the time, without an age statement. It's now apparently age stated at 12 y/o.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I did that with Canadian Club, grade 10 also. Still really don't drink rye but I forced myself to like Scotch back in my early 30s. Suffice to say grade 10 added height to the hill I had to climb.

As for tequila, it still gives me the shivers. But that's no knock on tequila, it's the use pattern that I engaged it with during my youth. There are fabulous tequilas and if you drink it as a sipper there are some stunning versions around.

@AstrophysicalJet Balvenie is awesome, but it's just so regularly expensive, even stateside. I've got a few of the 14 y/o Caribbean Cask versions stored away as they were quite cheap at Superstore in Alberta.

On the Port side of things I don't much like Port on its own but I've found that whiskies like the Portwood are very enjoyable after I've let the bottle breathe for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if all of the versions of Cragganmore's distillers edition are port finished but I've had a couple that are and they were very good. Glendronach has had a number of various port finished whiskies that are excellent as well. They've released them at various age statements over the year and the 15 y/o was excellent. They released an 18 y/o which I never got my hands on and the current release is a 10 y/o which is being reviewed favorably (does anyone unfavorably review whisky these days?). I really like Glendronach as a distillery and find it similar to Balvenie. Glenmorangie has the Quinta Ruban as well as a port finish. I've had it but didn't really like it all that much but I think it was a younger whisky at the time, without an age statement. It's now apparently age stated at 12 y/o.
Sorry Buggs,

Hadn’t seen your reply till now.

Indeed they are - Most places I find they are quite expensive.
I found it on offer at Bangkok taxfree a few years ago and bought 4 bottles, that was the last one:thumbd:

I agree that the longer a portwood is open, the better it gets - This particular bottle was open for 4 months.
I have always been a portwood fan, so I am probably biased, but to me there is no better whisky taste.

I have sadly never tasted anything from Glenmorangie, not sure why, they have just gone under my radar...

Glendronach on the other hand, they are a household favourite in my family - Think I have tasted almost everything they have made - I have a few 12yo in my cabinet! They are awesome, and I find this whisky is KILLER in a whisky sauce!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I had an incident with Tequila when I was young but I have bounced back. The more expensive stuff is pretty nice.

it’s not my drink of choice but I don’t gag

I can say that Tequila and wine is without a doubt the worst hangover you could possibly have, and not a good way to play a hockey game the next day.

I have an affinity for liqueurs. Cabot Trail is my choice. It's called Coureur des Bois in Quebec, but when I drove to the East Coast (Cape Breton) with my folks, before my pops got cirrhosis, that was our drink of choice.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I think everyone has that one liquor that they went way too hard when we were younger and can never drink it again. With me it’s Vodka. Haven’t had the stuff in years.

Reactions: ps241

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I think everyone has that one liquor that they went way too hard when we were younger and can never drink it again. With me it’s Vodka. Haven’t had the stuff in years.
One? :laugh:

My wife is that kind of person that learned from early drinking mistakes. She enjoys alcohol but is very cautious and sensible and was from the first mistake.

Me? Getting sick on alcohol was something I took as a challenge. I know I can do better next time. o_O

Reactions: ps241

Royale With Cheese

Fuelled by Whiskey
Nov 24, 2006
For me it was white rum - my drink of choice for my first foray into teenage drinking. That was quite a night. I couldn't touch the stuff for about 20 years.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
tried naked grouse and glenmorangie 10 year recently. prefer the glenmorangie. any other recommendations?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
tried naked grouse and glenmorangie 10 year recently. prefer the glenmorangie. any other recommendations?

Kinda tough as it becomes so subjective. Somebody will roll in and say Macallan 12, somebody else will suggest Bowmore 15. Both are really nice but almost diametrically opposed on the taste spectrum. Macallan will line up more with Glenmorangie. How about Johnnie Walker Green? A blend, along the lines of the Naked Grouse, but not horribly expensive and probably a profile more similar to Glenmorangie. I think based on $$ it's the best of the Johnnie Walker bunch.

I'm kind of horrified by the Scotch and Bourbon prices in Winnipeg at the moment. I stocked up on stuff from 2014 - 2o18 and am very thankful.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Kinda tough as it becomes so subjective. Somebody will roll in and say Macallan 12, somebody else will suggest Bowmore 15. Both are really nice but almost diametrically opposed on the taste spectrum. Macallan will line up more with Glenmorangie. How about Johnnie Walker Green? A blend, along the lines of the Naked Grouse, but not horribly expensive and probably a profile more similar to Glenmorangie. I think based on $$ it's the best of the Johnnie Walker bunch.

I'm kind of horrified by the Scotch and Bourbon prices in Winnipeg at the moment. I stocked up on stuff from 2014 - 2o18 and am very thankful.
ive tried johnnie black label. was a fan

always down to try something new, it'll get drunk by the end of winter so, not to worried lol

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
If any of you ol’ timers remember La Canoe, they sold 1 litre tequila sunrises for $7 in the late 90’s during UofM nights. After 20+ years I can’t even take a whiff of it without retching.
Well that will do it:laugh:
For me, it happened because of a cute girl in Bulgaria back in 2005.

She had a very nice and sizeable bosom, which she offered up for as many body tequilas as I wanted...

Needless to say, I got VERY drunk.

Last edited:

baronvonadam

Feb 15, 2014
Public service announcement:

If you’ve been trying to get yer hands on it, MLCC has Alberta Premium cask strength back in stock (limited quantities).

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->