Jul 16, 2011
What’s your Favourite Whiskey?

My personal favourites

Canadian: Crown Black
American/Bourbon/Tennessee : Bullet
Irish: Bushmills
Scotch: reasonably priced: Ardbeg: unreasonably Priced: BlackArtS
Other: Glenora (Cape Breton Whiskey)

For a good ol Canadian Classic of Rye n Coke Crown Black mixes very nice.
For a sipping whiskey...a Scottish peaty Ardbeg...or a well rounded Irish Bushmills..
Curious about everyone else’s ?

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Canadian: Lot 40 cask strength
Bourbon: Woodford reserve
Scotch: Macallen 12 year
Irish: Green Spot
Japanese blend: Hibiki Harmony
Top Shelf: Balvenie Portwood (agree with @larmex99)

favourites are always changing

Reactions: jhdfeidgebrjdfdiufu

JordanRC

Jan 4, 2012
Cheap stuff to have on hand: 40 Creek
Bourbon: Woodford Reserve (cheaper) on hand, Blantons (more)
Reasonable scotch: Highland Park 12, Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Not quite as reasonable scotch: Lagavulin 16

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Canadian: Lot No. 40
American: Maker’s Mark
Scotch: Chivas Regal (I’m admittedly no expert on scotch, only tried a handful)

I love this thread. Need a tequila one and rum too. :)

Reactions: Wolf357

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
8EAB6A0E-5036-4BF0-A10C-95F4994F3C59.png

insomniac

High on Hockey
Jul 31, 2009
Ottawa
forum.highonhockey.com
Country​
Purpose​
Brand​
Notes​
Canada​
Liquer​
Canada​
Neat​
Gibson's 12​
Need to compare to Pike Creek​
Canada​
Pre-Mixed - Rye Ginger​
Scotland​
Neat​
Macallan 12​
Need to compare to Lagavulin 16​
USA​
Mixed - Coke​
Jack Daniel's​
USA​
Mixed - Hot Toddy, Old Fashioned​
Maker's Mark​
Need to compare to Jim Beam​
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That Laphroiag is like drinking a campfire... :laugh:

Ach laddy, ye cannae hae too much peat! If it isn't peaty, it's CRAP! :laugh:

And for the record, my house whiskey is Bulleit 10 year old. For Scotch, I'm still slowly working my way through the grossly overpriced advent calendar I picked up in the Fall. I think I'm about halfway. Honestly, a lot of it tastes the same to me. I guess I'm just not enough of a connoisseur to appreciate the subtle differences.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I went on a Lost Spirits distillery tour just before covid happened. Their Abomination - Crying of the Puma became my new favorite whiskey. Highly recommended if you ever see it on a shelf and the technology they use to make it is very impressive.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I used to drink a lot of whisky, mostly Scotch, before I got sick and my taste buds got reset. I'm working my way back in again but it's definitely not like it was three years ago.

I'm not much for rye/Canadian whiskey - grade 10, Canadian Club, no mix, too much, bad result. I think it's very good whisky and can be very well done but it's just not my taste.

Bourbon sort of falls into that same category of too much abuse in my youth to appreciate what it can be now. Jim and Jack did their share of damage and probably spoiled me otherwise. I have a couple of bottles around the house but it's far from my go to. Like Rye I appreciate what's out there, but don't enjoy it personally that much.

Irish whiskey is very good IMO and very easy drinking for the most part (breakfast whisky). I tend to lean to Yellow Spot but there are a lot of good ones available locally and I really enjoy the Redbreast stuff.

As for Scotch I'm more of a speysider than anything else though that changes with the wind. I always have a Speyside open and have a a different type of Scotch open always at the same time for variety. I do love the Balvenie stuff others have mentioned but it's very pricey IMO and you can get whiskies as good or better for less money. That said, I rarely buy whisky/whiskey in Manitoba as when the borders were open it was always much, much more economical to buy in the U.S. or Alberta. Interestingly the U.S. prices have gone up considerably thanks to a new tax instituted in the fall. Minneapolis used to be a fantastic place to pick up Oban but the prices went up by about 30% and now it's not such a great deal. :(

I'm always fascinated by discussions on Scotch and where people lie on the spectrum of flavors. I will say I've seen more people turned off Scotch by an ardent peathead than anything else. :laugh: Yes, you love it, but not everyone does. It's really not a solid strategy to plunk a glass of Ardbeg 10 down in front of someone as their introduction to Scotch whisky unless your intent is to keep the rest of the bottle to yourself.

My favorite Scotch is discontinued - Glenlivet Nadurra 16. I tend to also favor Glendronach as a distillery and thankfully got in before they became really popular.

If you're bored morgbug - Whiskybase - Ratings and reviews for whisky you can see what I have currently. I don't really think I'll need to be buying any whisky any time soon (or conceivably ever again).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad