Favourite Habs player in the post-1993 era: #2

Favourite Habs player in the post-1993 era: #2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Just a short list of players I liked but that can't be good enough for that list : Quintal, Kostopoulos, Steve Bégin, Mark Strait, Dominic Moore, Maxim Lapierre and James Wisnieuwsky.

I wonder why Habs had good grinders or 3 or 4th line players that were good and they traded them for about nothing. All the time I was thinking ok Habs are perfect with the 3 and 4th line, let's concentrate on improving first and second line. But no they had to rebuilt no 3 and 4 line again.

During the Gauthier years it seemed like second rounders were traded for bottom six players every year.

As opposed to just signing them and being done with it.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Kinda like they do with Price ?

Price lived in the complete oposite of the spectrum. He was supported by management and the media. Its the fans who dint like him. He definitly has a much larger hater base. If Subban has haters its the guys hes competing with on the ice and the Molsons.

Pk’s story is very similar to the Rocket. <3

When we lost 4-0 vs da bruins, din’t the whole arena booed him Price? Or that dint happen?

When was the first time PK got boooed by his fans as a habs?

Im just telling things how they are.
However you clearly have an agenda here so please how bout you stop it? Ty <3

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Price lived in the complete oposite of the spectrum. He was supported by management and the media. Its the fans who dint like him. He definitly has a much larger hater base. If Subban has haters its the guys hes competing with on the ice and the Molsons.

Pk’s story is very similar to the Rocket. <3

When we lost 4-0 vs da bruins, din’t the whole arena booed him Price? Or that dint happen?

When was the first time PK got boooed by his fans as a habs?

Im just telling things how they are.
However you clearly have an agenda here so please how bout you stop it? Ty <3

The hate Price got wasnt fueled by the media? Good baby jesus.

The love PK got also was fueled by the media.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
For me it's the General - Andrei Markov.

I mean look att he Habs stats with him in the line-up and without him in the line-up... 2 extremes.

And of course, there is a reason why he has a nickname "The General", he was that important to the team and to fans.

I own a Markov jersey and gladly wear it to games and sports events!

Very underrated defenseman, but a true wonder in his position.
He alone made some scrubs millionnaires and other defensemen better than they really were.

Love the guy and although he never won a cup... I would argue that his number should be retired.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
I would have called it a post 95 or 96 poll and dropped Roy from the list only because I see his departure as an important period transformation in the history of the organization for better or for worse (IMO definitely worse).

Reactions: Laurentide

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Voted Kovalev but Markov is very close. Tons of respect for Markov. I actually loved his game when he was just a rookie and I'd didn't know much about hockey back then.

Reactions: DAChampion

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Even so, I wouldn't say it's black and white. Pre-injury Markov was every bit as a top 5 defender as 13-16 Subban was.

If his name was Lidstrom, he'd have won the Norrid in 2009.

He basically put a dysfunctional team on his back and carried them to the playoffs.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Or people just like the best goaltender in history better.

Or even the longest tenured defenseman in decades. Pk has yet to outscore Markovs best season btw. Pre-injury, post lockout Markov was a beauty. Easily the most underrated defenseman of those years.

If he had played the entire 09-10 season, even after injury, he had the numbers to win the Norris over Lidstrom.

So underrated

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
If he had played the entire 09-10 season, even after injury, he had the numbers to win the Norris over Lidstrom.

So underrated

Yeah, it's sort of like Crosby with his concussions. We missed his peak due to injury.

Markov was already dominant post-lockout, but he was truly coming into his own as a top 3 defender when he blew his knee.

Its also so freaking dumb how often defensemen need to have a Norris season once, where they deserved to win but didn't, before actually winning the Norris.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Sun1126

May 18, 2018
Markov will go down as one of the most underrated defense in the league. So sad he couldn't retire properly, many of my favorite players mistreated. Koivu should have gotten to play his last game here which is a no-brainer. Shouldve kept Kovalev, Subban...even if habs were not winning the cup, its worth your money to go watch these guys play...Who can we go watch now? Pathetic management

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
The hate Price got wasnt fueled by the media? Good baby jesus.

The love PK got also was fueled by the media.

I don't think you remember the events correctly.

I also don't want to start a debate with some one who doesn't what hes talking about, no offence.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I think that I'll drop Roy from the next poll. @Laurentide made the valid, convincing point that players who were relevant on the 1993 team should not be in the poll options.

No i dont think so, You need to keep Roy as he was the favourite player for many people at the time.

You need to add Halak as he was extremely relevant in 2010.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Its also so freaking dumb how often defensemen need to have a Norris season once, where they deserved to win but didn't, before actually winning the Norris.

It's like the Oscars, and party nominations for the presidency. A lot of recent candidates had to lose prior to getting the nomination and then losing in the general (Clinton, Romney, McCain, Dole, etc.).

Reactions: Andrei79

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
No i dont think so, You need to keep Roy as he was the favourite player for many people at the time.

You need to add Halak as he was extremely relevant in 2010.

I think that it's a good idea to add Halak.

The top four will likely be rounded by Kovalev, Markov, Subban; but #5-10 should be the real horse races, Halak could win one of those.

Question: How do you think that Halak might have done in 2010 without Subban?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Halak isn't a player I'd get in actually. Mark Streit, Alexander Radulov and the aforementionned Hamrlik are a few guys I'd easily put in before Halak.

Last edited:

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
I think that it's a good idea to add Halak.

The top four will likely be rounded by Kovalev, Markov, Subban; but #5-10 should be the real horse races, Halak could win one of those.

Question: How do you think that Halak might have done in 2010 without Subban?

I think he would of done just as good, Halak was playing 60 mins a game and Subban about 30 mins. He was on a special bubble at that time, what ever success we had it was on him 100%. People forget that he's not a big goalie so what he did was HUGE.

What he did in 2010 had a tremendous impact on Carey's future with the habs.

If anything it made Carey a much better goalie. I think you must put him starting round 3. I believe Halak wins #3.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
In fact can't you put as many names as you want? why limit your self?

And to the guy who deosn't want Halak, I bet he would of traded Subban for Weber 1v1 and would of had Galchenyuk play as a winger. I bet he would have DD as his no1 Centerman, I'm I right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->