GRob83

Feb 3, 2010

m7b4u.gif

nZ0lBv3.gif

That's Amazing!!!! LOL

Conor Edwards

Oct 22, 2018
Detroit, MI
When you're watching a game in true broadcast on CPUvsCPU, on a power play, the team down will almost always ice it in a way where it clears the near boards and you'll end up with a 5-on-3. I've gotten stuck in an endless loop that way, where the opposing team was on the power play for the entire game, and other times both teams would do it in succession and you'd get a 3-on-3 for god knows how long. I find it quite funny, but when we're in the playoffs it's godly frustrating.

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
My favourite was kind of touched on a few messages ago, but I love the names in the generated draft classes. You find guys from South Korea named Joe Smith and stuff like that. I probably spend a good 15 or 20 minutes going through to find all of the ones that are just way off

Joe Smith was probably born on a USAF base in South Korea because that's where he's dad was stationed. DUH!

All kidding aside, I don't know if it happens anymore but I'd come across computer-generated players with very Russian names like Ivan Federov who had darker skin than Micheal Jordan.

Also, when the EA NHL series first introduced computer-generated players, all of them had shaved heads and their faces were identical. So if you played deep enough into Be A GM Mode, all the players on the ice looked like clones.

Last edited:

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
I hate it when there are players in real life who have spent the entire season playing in the NHL, but because EA has their overall ranking so low, they spend the entire year in the minors in the video game.

Also, in the game there will be players who spend the entire season on an NHL roster but only end up playing 3 games total because there weren't enough injuries to get them into the lineup.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Joe Smith was probably born on a USAF base in South Korea because that's where he's dad was stationed. DUH!

All kidding aside, I don't know if it happens anymore but I'd come across computer-generated players with very Russian names like Ivan Federov who had darker skin than Micheal Jordan.

Also, when the EA NHL series first introduced computer-generated players, all of them had shaved heads and their faces were identical. So if you played deep enough into Be A GM Mode, all the players on the ice looked like clones.
Danish players always have anglo names in the game... Half of the finns are also of very dark complexion a couple of years in.

Finland also doesn't produce a single new starter while Lithuania gets 7..

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

Danish players always have anglo names in the game... Half of the finns are also of very dark complexion a couple of years in.

Finland also doesn't produce a single new starter while Lithuania gets 7..

I've noticed that! I don't care what their skin complexion is, but I think it's cool to see every color as the game goes on in the later years

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I've noticed that! I don't care what their skin complexion is, but I think it's cool to see every color as the game goes on in the later years
Finland is around 95% white today. Seeing 50% of Finns be darker complexion after only a couple of years in is really silly.

Just as silly as having a player from DPRK with an anglo first and last name.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I can't stand on Franchise mode that SOOOO Many prospects are Top 6 Med potential or Top 4 Med and after 5 seasons are still 75-77 overall and are MinSCR or MinTop2 and NEVER get good enough for the NHL.

I mentioned in a few posts above how I've seen players that are like 'AHL Top6' that are like 91 overall. Such a weird development curve.

Reactions: GRob83

Fabi52

Sep 28, 2017
The tilted ice. Playing in the PO's now against the CPU in Franchise mode, everything on superstar or Legend balancing, dominating the opponent 2 periods and getting up 3-0 entering the third period. Playing 10 mins in the third, have to PK, getting a goal against, and already knowing, i will lose this or go to OT.
5 minutes later, I am down 3-4 because it seem, that all my skaters are skating way slower since the thirst goal against, and my defenders have no chance catching the opponent up.

Or, other example:
Same series, game 2, Up 3-0 after the first, then after period two started, no chance against the CPU till its 3-3. then the CPU stops playing it seems to me, I am up 6-3, after some crazy bounces, the CPU starts playing again - I win this game 7-6....

so unrealistic, it blows my mind. I wanna play some defensive sound, hard nosed play-off hockey, with realistic 5 on 5 play, and not, since tho POs come, one blow out after another. My Goalie plays with 88 OVR like a AHLer, and andersen from the Leafs gets one goal after another against with 5 crazy bounces in one game.

sry, but I had to talk about this.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The tilted ice. Playing in the PO's now against the CPU in Franchise mode, everything on superstar or Legend balancing, dominating the opponent 2 periods and getting up 3-0 entering the third period. Playing 10 mins in the third, have to PK, getting a goal against, and already knowing, i will lose this or go to OT.
5 minutes later, I am down 3-4 because it seem, that all my skaters are skating way slower since the thirst goal against, and my defenders have no chance catching the opponent up.

Or, other example:
Same series, game 2, Up 3-0 after the first, then after period two started, no chance against the CPU till its 3-3. then the CPU stops playing it seems to me, I am up 6-3, after some crazy bounces, the CPU starts playing again - I win this game 7-6....

so unrealistic, it blows my mind. I wanna play some defensive sound, hard nosed play-off hockey, with realistic 5 on 5 play, and not, since tho POs come, one blow out after another. My Goalie plays with 88 OVR like a AHLer, and andersen from the Leafs gets one goal after another against with 5 crazy bounces in one game.

sry, but I had to talk about this.
I think NHL 2020 might have a new "hero" scripting too. If one of your worse players gets a goal.. He seems very likely to get another... and another... and another..

Reactions: JustJokinenAround

Fabi52

Sep 28, 2017
I think NHL 2020 might have a new "hero" scripting too. If one of your worse players gets a goal.. He seems very likely to get another... and another... and another..

Could be right! For me, it seems so odd... if you are up, it seem nearly impossible, to close a game out, like its in real hockey. Being in front by 2 goals to the end of a third period, it "always" seems, that the CPU gets a power boost, to tie it.
and often helped by a "hero", like you said.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
In nhl 08, Michael peca is on the Leafs, but he signed a 1 year deal with Columbus on August. He should've been on the blue jackets roster in that game.

Also why tf was jarred stoll an 87 on the game? Way too high.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
So, I’m currently playing NHL18 Franchise Mode before I play the newest version. What I don’t get is, how do some high overall rookies get undrafted? It makes no sense. During July 1st, I search the FA market and always nab the Low Elite undrafted players. This past 2030 off-season, there was a 76 D, 71 C and 73 RW.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
So, I’m currently playing NHL18 Franchise Mode before I play the newest version. What I don’t get is, how do some high overall rookies get undrafted? It makes no sense. During July 1st, I search the FA market and always nab the Low Elite undrafted players. This past 2030 off-season, there was a 76 D, 71 C and 73 RW.
This is why FOW exists in the later ones and the drafts are weaker in 20 to the point where you actually have to work pretty hard or get lucky to find really good players past the 1st round and low elites are a lot worse and less valuable.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
This is why FOW exists in the later ones and the drafts are weaker in 20 to the point where you actually have to work pretty hard or get lucky to find really good players past the 1st round and low elites are a lot worse and less valuable.

I play that way in EHM as well (FOW setting on)

with NHL18 the only leagues that are worth it are the WHL and OHL. I’m not sure if anyone picked up on that during the time, but the international stage is terrible with prospects in 18

Last edited:

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I once lost a game in HUT vs the computer 5-4 in OT, with the team only having 4 shots. (i scored one in my own goal myself), despite me basically having hte puck in the zone the whole game and being face to face with a goalie in GOD mode with his posts from hell. Basically, i would have had more of a chance if i had taken the goalie from the onset of the game. this got me off the game for weeks.

I keep upgrading my goalies, and their stats never change; most games, they cant make more than 5 saves in a row, and the goals that go in arent breakaways or one timers. more like a back hand shot from the blue line that goes right in.

They say that the games dont have ice-tilt, but this is just semantics. There are sequences where the computer passes the puck faster than you cna change between players, that body checks are softer, that your goalie doesnt control rebounds whatsoever, that your players skate over the puck without taking it, that no matter what you do , your attempts to clear the zone are getting intercepted. You can actually call when a goal is coming sometimes. It feels like the game says "the computer team is getting demolished. let them score three goals in three shots to make it interesting". They call it momentum, but these sequences come randomly, even if you have an iron hold on the game. Doesnt matter tht the team is rated 20 points below yours.

dont get me started on a 77 overal D catching up to my 99 like a rocket when im on a breakaway.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
despite me basically having hte puck in the zone the whole game and being face to face with a goalie in GOD mode with his posts from hell.

Funny you mentioned this. I came across this today in the playoffs with an ‘AHL Backup’! Scenario: Game 7, double OT and throughout the whole game the guy is making diving saves, using the blocker at everything, going outside the crease with no penalty (more than five times). I ended up scoring by somehow by an odd backhand behind the facoff circle by my fourth-line enforcer.

I question how my players are beyond tired even with full energy even when I win a fight. They have 99 speed and acceleration but feel so slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad