Movies: Favourite Action Movies

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Bump :)....

Watching Raid Redemption again. This movie is absolutely insane lol. Forgot how much I enjoyed this movie!!! Pretty sure the first time I watched it my jaw was pretty much on the floor the entire time once it ramped up..

Reading through this thread was bringing back some memories. Would love to watch elite squad, elite squad: enemy within again. Sadly they aren’t on Netflix :(

Same goes for a few other foreign movies I’d love to watch again. I saw the devil, cell 211

Got a few on my list to check out. Anyone seen Headshot?

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Sudden Death is honesty my favorite Die Hard clone. The hockey setting is obviously a factor but for a cheesy 90's action flick they really did put in a kick ass effort. All the actors, especially the late great Powers Boothe, were awesome.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
As far as action is concerned, Hollywood ruled in the 1980s. Hong Kong was a solid #2 though.

Love Jackie Chan's work in those years. The Police Story movies and the two Project A movies are great.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Can't beat McQueen and Bullitt though it is probably not a traditional action movie save a couple of scenes. Heat has some great action scenes particularly the bank robbery shootout through downtown L.A. Ben-Hur chariot race is killer but wouldn't be considered an action movie. Ditto The Great Escape.

My Best-Carey

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Whoa. Revived old thread.

Most action movies just have a very limited ceiling of satisfaction to me, even when they're seemingly perfectly pulled off and off-the-charts impressive, like The Raid 2. For the most part, I just don't feel that action can sustain a two hour movie, and I always start to recognize the trademark moves/fighting style of the choreographers and it ends up feeling repetitive and tedious/like an engorged (that's a weird adjective to use to describe the feeling I'm communicating, but I'm not sure what would be more fitting) overdose or something, after an initial thrill/novelty (and that's only if the choreography is even that strong and interesting to begin with, which it often isn't, especially with the American 80s action movies that often get praised).

Pretty much the only major exceptions for me that I can think of would be the early John Woo movies, The Killer and Hard Boiled. The inherently satisfying feedback of the way gunshots look and sound and the childishly over the top yet tasteful/poetically graceful silliness of all the movement just hits a mark I can't quite describe but makes me giddy every time.

I also love Kung Fu Hustle, but not as much for the action (I actually disliked the DBZ bit at the end) and more for the comedy.

Last edited:

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Love Jackie Chan's work in those years. The Police Story movies and the two Project A movies are great.

Yeah, I love "prime" Chan movies. The master of prop-fighting. Many of those films are pretty thin on plot (not a bad thing I guess), but I'm still always so entertained by the ingenuity of the choreography / prop utilization. Extremely creative flicks.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah, I love "prime" Chan movies. The master of prop-fighting. Many of those films are pretty thin on plot (not a bad thing I guess), but I'm still always so entertained by the ingenuity of the choreography / prop utilization. Extremely creative flicks.

10 year old me thought this was the coolest thing ever

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Since this is a suitable thread, I'll just post this here instead of in the Last Movie You Watched thread.

It's not a "favorite" of mine since I watched it for the first time last night, but Vanishing Point (1971) is one of Spielberg's and Tarantino's favorite action films (which is easy to see as it bears similarities to their Duel and Death Proof films) and was ranked #70 on some action film list. I must say that I can see why. The film is mostly action. The first half, particularly, is rather nuts, since it's pretty much a non-stop, 45-minute car chase scene. It slows down in the second half as it tries to hang some narrative meat on the bones and be more than just action scenes, and it loses steam because of it, but it remains interesting and simple to follow. The plot is little more than a driver of a muscle car evading police over three states (Colorado, Nevada and California), and its set to a 70s rock soundtrack. What more do you need, right? If you like car chase movies and muscle cars, and/or like movies like Bullitt and Duel, you should like Vanishing Point.

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
I liked Dirty Harry & Magnum Force.

T2
Double Impact
(mostly because of Cory Everson as a villain).

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Arnold is the GOAT action star.

Commando and Predator are arguabley the 2 best or most pure action films.... than you got Total Recall, True Lies, Running Man, Conan, Eraser and the underrated Last Action Hero (not great but can be appreciated for what it is)

Please tell me leaving out T1 and T2 was an honest mistake?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
All the GOATS have been listed so,

Hate to say it but 2 underrated action movies were Hard Rain and Chill Factor

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Glad to see a little love for the original Point Break, one of my all-time favorites.

Die Hard, The Matrix, the Marvel movies are a few others.
And not sure if it counts as an action movie, but True Romance is another fantastic choice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->