Favorite / worst moment since 93

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Reading through these posts makes me feel fortunate to be old enough to remember when this team was actually elite. Some of you youngsters have some pretty mediocre "best moments". Vegas fans already have better memories than some of you have had in your entire lives. It's a damning indictment of this franchise that some of the best things that have happened in the last quarter century is the night that a guy came back from cancer, or the time when they came back from 5 goals down in a meaningless regular season game or all those times they put on a Hollywood-caliber pre-game show in which the glorious past was celebrated in order to distract people from the horrendous present or when they managed to squeak into the third round because their goalie stood on his head and spit nickels through two rounds.

I'm old enough to remember the last 7 or 8 Cups we've won. I've seen them win a Cup finals game in double overtime in person. I went to the Good Friday game. As a kid living in the Toronto area I got to go to school the day after yet another Habs Cup victory and make all my Leafs-loving classmates eat s*** sandwiches. I got to watch them eliminate the Leafs in four straight games two years running. I was 22 years old before I had to see the Habs lose to Boston in a playoff series. 23 years old before I had to see them lose a Finals series. I weep for some of you younger fans. You've got next to nothing to hang your hats on.

For me, and compared to the great memories I already had prior to 1993, anything positive that has happened since barely moves the needle for me. Small accomplishments are quickly forgotten when your season ends with quietly cleaning out lockers with garbage bags instead of with a victory parade. But there have been plenty of low points....

The re-acquisition of Corson (for Turgeon, one more example of the Habs trading offensive talent for grit and "character")
The re-acquisition of Richer (we gave up Odelein to get him back. Then when we traded him again to Tampa we tossed in Tucker)
The Ron Corey panic moves (firing Savard and Demers, hiring Houle and Tremblay, trading Carbonneau, trading Chelios, trading Roy, all for essentially non-hockey reasons)
The hiring of Michel Therrien
The re-hiring of Michel Therrien
The drafting of Brad Brown 18th overall in 1994
The drafting of Terry Ryan 8th overall in 1995
The drafting of Matt Higgins 18th overall in 1996
The drafting of Jason Ward (McCagg's BFF) 11th overall in 1997
The drafting of Eric Chouinard 16th overall in 1998
The drafting of Kyle Chipchura 18th overall in 2004
The drafting of David Fischer 20th overall in 2006
The drafting of Louis Leblanc 18th overall in 2009
Rejean Houle's tenure as GM
Pierre Gauthier's tenure as GM
Bergevin's tenure as GM
Trevor Timmins' tenure as head scout
JJ Daigneault as an assistant coach instead of Robinson, because Therrien was too insecure to have someone better than him standing next to him behind the bench
Geoff Molson buying the team from Gillett
Delaying the retirement of Robinson's jersey #19 until after Robinson's father had passed away, even though said jersey retirement was never in doubt and should have been done years sooner
Not retiring Steve Shutt's #22 when he would have been a shoe-in had his name been "Fermer"
The t-shirt cannon
The Loco Locass goal song
The relocation of statues and fan-financed commemorative bricks in order to accommodate the construction of Molson's new condo tower

I could probably go on, but you get the picture.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Best - Halak and the 50-save playoff game vs Washington. Especially the "dramatic glove save" from Corvo's top-corner bound bullet.
Worst - With hindsight, the appointment of Bergevin as GM. Gaulthier didn't make the team this bad.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Best

Saku Koivu comeback from cancer

The 2010 Halak run

Getting Alexei Kovalev and defeating Boston in 2004

Worst

Losing the final game against the Leafs and missing the playoffs in 2007

2009 Free agency when Uncle Bob went crazy

Hiring of Bergevin and Michel
I would agree on those choices.

Reactions: the

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Favorite goal/moment: PK scoring on a breakaway against Rask in the playoffs.

The roar of the crowd, man... :yo:

Best post 93 moment in montreal IMO. 2014's team had an aura about them that felt like 93's. Impossible to explain rationally, but it did.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
So next month will mark the 25th anniversary of the last Stanley Cup won by the team. Lot of us are too young to even remember that championship, so instead of asking souvenirs about this cup, I will rather ask what are your best and worst memories of the last 25 seasons?

For the best, I came up with 5 really important days on a positive way : the day we got Alex Kovalev, the year Price won the Hart and the Vezina, the incredible performance of Halak against Washington, Koivu's comeback from the cancer, the epic comeback game vs the Rangers.

HM to our playoff win against Boston in 2004 and in 2014

Amongst the worst, I'd say the 2011 loss in OT against Bruins is the one that sting the most. It was against our no. 1 enemy, that would go and win the cup. Plus, it was in overtime... I really felt we had a chance, it was gut-wrenching elimination, while when we got eliminated in 2014 and in 2010, it was more of a slow death...

Also, obviously the PK Subban trade was bad.
Halakian run in playoffs for me be the highlight. Low light - Anytime in Houle era

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I remember when Koivu was drafted as well. I was watching the draft and with the Habs on the clock I remember Bob McKenzie saying something like "Oh I know who it is" just before the Habs announced their selection.
Draft Preview re-did the '93 draft. Koivu was picked 3rd overall. Tucker when 15th. That was a good draft for us.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Worst moment.... Losing Roy in December 1995.

Favourite moment? It's hard to choose.

2002:
Koivu returning from cancer
Theodore's save in game 6 against Boston

2004:
The kovalev trade
Game 7 win in Boston

2010:
Knocking the caps out in in game 7
Knocking the pens out in game 7

2014:
Knocking the bruins out in game 7

Those are off the top of my head.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
2010 as we were the underdog was the best run we've had since 93

Too many crappy trades/drafts to pick the worst - just hoping it's already happened...

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Worst: Koivu getting let go for nothing just shy of setting the longest Captain record. Absolute insult and disgrace, will be a black mark on this franchise forever.

Best: Gainey leaving.

Reactions: Tank Toad and the

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
One of my favourite moments is when Subban scored to tie the game with only a few minutes left in the 3rd agains Boston During a playoff game. He put his glove to his ear as the bruins fans went silent.

Instantly became a Subban fan, knew he was a playoff warrior and he loved to win.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
well, i wasn't born when we last won the cup :laugh::laugh::laugh:

my favorite moments was the playoff run in 2010,

worst moments.....drafting Carey Price, trading PK

if we don't draft Price we would have another cup by now

Dick Duff

Feb 17, 2014
Edmonton
Reading through these posts makes me feel fortunate to be old enough to remember when this team was actually elite. Some of you youngsters have some pretty mediocre "best moments". Vegas fans already have better memories than some of you have had in your entire lives. It's a damning indictment of this franchise that some of the best things that have happened in the last quarter century is the night that a guy came back from cancer, or the time when they came back from 5 goals down in a meaningless regular season game or all those times they put on a Hollywood-caliber pre-game show in which the glorious past was celebrated in order to distract people from the horrendous present or when they managed to squeak into the third round because their goalie stood on his head and spit nickels through two rounds.

I'm old enough to remember the last 7 or 8 Cups we've won. I've seen them win a Cup finals game in double overtime in person. I went to the Good Friday game. As a kid living in the Toronto area I got to go to school the day after yet another Habs Cup victory and make all my Leafs-loving classmates eat s*** sandwiches. I got to watch them eliminate the Leafs in four straight games two years running. I was 22 years old before I had to see the Habs lose to Boston in a playoff series. 23 years old before I had to see them lose a Finals series. I weep for some of you younger fans. You've got next to nothing to hang your hats on.

For me, and compared to the great memories I already had prior to 1993, anything positive that has happened since barely moves the needle for me. Small accomplishments are quickly forgotten when your season ends with quietly cleaning out lockers with garbage bags instead of with a victory parade. But there have been plenty of low points....

The re-acquisition of Corson (for Turgeon, one more example of the Habs trading offensive talent for grit and "character")
The re-acquisition of Richer (we gave up Odelein to get him back. Then when we traded him again to Tampa we tossed in Tucker)
The Ron Corey panic moves (firing Savard and Demers, hiring Houle and Tremblay, trading Carbonneau, trading Chelios, trading Roy, all for essentially non-hockey reasons)
The hiring of Michel Therrien
The re-hiring of Michel Therrien
The drafting of Brad Brown 18th overall in 1994
The drafting of Terry Ryan 8th overall in 1995
The drafting of Matt Higgins 18th overall in 1996
The drafting of Jason Ward (McCagg's BFF) 11th overall in 1997
The drafting of Eric Chouinard 16th overall in 1998
The drafting of Kyle Chipchura 18th overall in 2004
The drafting of David Fischer 20th overall in 2006
The drafting of Louis Leblanc 18th overall in 2009
Rejean Houle's tenure as GM
Pierre Gauthier's tenure as GM
Bergevin's tenure as GM
Trevor Timmins' tenure as head scout
JJ Daigneault as an assistant coach instead of Robinson, because Therrien was too insecure to have someone better than him standing next to him behind the bench
Geoff Molson buying the team from Gillett
Delaying the retirement of Robinson's jersey #19 until after Robinson's father had passed away, even though said jersey retirement was never in doubt and should have been done years sooner
Not retiring Steve Shutt's #22 when he would have been a shoe-in had his name been "Fermer"
The t-shirt cannon
The Loco Locass goal song
The relocation of statues and fan-financed commemorative bricks in order to accommodate the construction of Molson's new condo tower

I could probably go on, but you get the picture.

Great post.

Although these are not from 1993 up until now; two moments make anything else pale for me:

The highlight: Montreal led by Jean Beliveau, John Ferguson and a then unknown Ken Dryden) coming back from being down either 5-1 or 5-2 (fuzzy memory) to win the playoff game against the Bruins and then the series, and then the Cup that year. That game was so pivotal, and emotional for me; so many sidebars - Beliveau being too old, Ferguson couldn't keep up; Dryden unproven and not the popular choice for net...

The worst moment in my lifetime of watching the Habs: The 1967 Cup finals lost to the Leafs (and during that series my favourite rookie at the time Claude Larose was badly beaten up in a fight with some Leafs thug).

Tears streamed down my face for both moments.

Sorry, I digress...

Last edited:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Worst: Koivu getting let go for nothing just shy of setting the longest Captain record. Absolute insult and disgrace, will be a black mark on this franchise forever.

Best: Gainey leaving.
In a cap system, keeping guys for the sake of nostalgia or so that they can play their 1000th game in a Habs jersey is idiotic. You can't afford to keep a guy just so he can set a record.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Best moment ? PK saying they were ready to take it all away from Boston's fans and then actually doing it. Thats clutch as hell and why i love hockey so much.

06-07 as a whole too.

Gotta say I loved 08 too, that team was stacked, but meh injuries.

Both ECF finals.

Watching Price get all the accolades.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
In a cap system, keeping guys for the sake of nostalgia or so that they can play their 1000th game in a Habs jersey is idiotic. You can't afford to keep a guy just so he can set a record.

That's funny because we've been run by clowns that love to bring their old buddies back to play or sit in an office collecting a paycheck. I guess you need to have the right friends. But really Koivu was still better than most of our players and got a position on Anaheim immediately. Not only that but he was let go for nothing, not even a pick. I know asset management was not a strong suit of Gainey but given how people talk about him you'd think at least having class and dignity would've been.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal

That’s fine and good but we replaced him with an inferior player in Scott Gomez!

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Great post.

Although these are not from 1993 up until now; two moments make anything else pale for me:

The highlight: Montreal led by Jean Beliveau, John Ferguson and a then unknown Ken Dryden) coming back from being down either 5-1 or 5-2 (fuzzy memory) to win the playoff game against the Bruins and then the series, and then the Cup that year. That game was so pivotal, and emotional for me; so many sidebars - Beliveau being too old, Ferguson couldn't keep up; Dryden unproven and not the popular choice for net...

The worst moment in my lifetime of watching the Habs: The 1967 Cup finals lost to the Leafs (and during that series my favourite rookie at the time Claude Larose was badly beaten up in a fight with some Leafs thug).

Tears streamed down my face for both moments.

Sorry, I digress...
Yeah, they ruined Expo 67.

You must have seen this then:

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Best : PK, the Halak run, Koivu returning from cancer
Worst : I've never been as cynical, turned off and uninterested as I am right now, so i'm just gonna go with that

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Best:

-Halak Spring
-Comeback against rangers
-PK getting traded
-The run & gun team of 2007-2008

Worst:

-2006-2007 team eliminated in the last game of the season
-Gomez trade
-Refusal of building by the draft for the entire existence of this franchise.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Best:

-pk in the playoffs
-halak performances
-kovalev performances
-Koivu before he blew out his knee
-having Damphousse, Turgeon, and Koivu as our top 3 centers and Roy on our team at the same time for a brief moment, before it went down hill (see the bad)
-Gallagher's bounce back season this year (hopefully he'll be even better next year)
-getting to watch Markov
-Radulov having such a good season and thinking we got a great player for our top six for the next 5 years.
-Eller and Rene Bourque in the playoffs
-Scherbak's goals this year and the potential that we may have a star
-Mete, Juulsen, Hudon, Lehkonen, Drouin more potential (too bad about Reway)

Worst:
-Losing PK, Radulov, Markov, Sergachev
-adding Shaw, Alzner, and Schlemko
-having Damphousse, Turgeon, and Koivu as our top 3 centers and Roy on our team at the same time for a brief moment, but then having it all crumble because Houle and Tremblay didn't know how to handle star players (similar to what Bergevin did with PK, Radulov, and Markov).
-Trading McDonagh (getting Gomez wasn't so bad, the problem was we never had to give up McDonagh to get him)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad