Music: Favorite Voice in Music (Contemporary Artists Only)?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This can be any genre (even hip-hop). Doesn't have to be the best technical voice/vocals, but just a voice that stands out to you as your favorite.

I'm confining this to artists currently making music as I feel like it's so easy to just immediately go to the classics.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If Beth Gibbons is too on-the-cusp, then Pete Doherty (Babyshambles, The Libertines).

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Define "contemporary":laugh: People still making music, or people whose debuts were in the last few years?

Grant-Lee Phillips (started as guitarist with Shiva Burlesque in the late 80s, formed Grant Lee Buffalo in the early 90s as vocalist/guitarist/songwriter, then went solo around 2000 and released his 8th album this year).

Tom Chaplin (Keane's lead singer from 1997 on, just released his first solo album a couple months ago)

Fran Healy (lead singer of Travis, 1991 - present with one solo effort as well)

Damian Kulash (lead singer of OK Go, 1998 - present)

This will discount others who have been around a very long time (Dave Gahan, Depeche Mode lead singer since 1980 which is releasing a new album in 2017) or have been on a long hiatus (Mike Edwards of Jesus Jones, also releasing a new album in 2017, their first new LP since 2001's London).

That's as contemporary as I'll get for now. Haven't heard much I've liked in recent years, and even what little I've liked I haven't found particularly memorable.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Brit Daniel - Spoon
Kelcey Ayer and Taylor Rice - Local Natives
Natalie Bergman - Wild Belle
Marcus King (amazing live)
Kevin Parker - Tame Impala (like Dave Gahan I just think the way he sings fits the music)

Off the top of my head. I am sure I am missing several.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad