Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Matlock was my favorite.

Some others I watched (including many ****** ones):
MacGyver
Charlie's Angels

I forgot these as well - MacGuyver was one of my favorites, too, so I can't believe my memory :banghead:

I watched Growing Pains and TGIF and all those early 90s shows on Must See TV, but I don't consider it so much "my youth" - I basically listed shows I watched before I got my own TV (which was a 13" black and white set my sister sold me for $10 that lasted me until my sophomore year of college when my father bought me a 19" set for Christmas).

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I like these kind of threads, I was a huge tv watcher when I was a kid throughout the 90's, especially cartoons.

Cartoons:

Hey Arnold
Rocko's Modern Life
Rugrats
Doug
Cow & Chicken
Dexter's Lab
A Pup Named Scooby doo
Dragon ball Z
Angry Beavers
Ren & Stimpy
X-men
Pokemon
Digimon (first season only)

Real-life shows (only a few come to mind right now):

Full House
Family Matters
Saved by the bell

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
I was a big sit-com fan as a kid: M*A*S*H, Mary Tyler Moore, Barney Miller, Welcome Back, Kotter, WKRP In Cincinatti, Bob Newhart, anything by Norman Lear, especially All In The Family and Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.

One-hour dramas...not really interested, except The Rockford Files and, while it lasted, Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

Variety: The Carol Burnett Show could lure me away from Hockey Night In Canada, and who could forget that stupid Sonny & Cher Show?

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Youth, as in elementary school age?
Welcome Back, Kotter
Six Million Dollar Man
Happy Days
The Partridge Family
Mod Squad
The Bill Cosby Show
SWAT

Youth, as in junior high age?
Mork and Mindy
Dukes of Hazzard
Three's Company
Barney Miller
MASH
Eight is Enough
The Incredible Hulk
WKRP
One Day at a Time

Youth, as in high school age?
some of the same from before, like Happy Days/Three's Company/MASH etc
The Greatest American Hero
Too Close for Comfort
Taxi
Benson
Newhart
Hill Street Blues
Cheers
Family Ties
St Elsewhere
Angie

Last edited:

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Variety: The Carol Burnett Show could lure me away from Hockey Night In Canada, and who could forget that stupid Sonny & Cher Show?

Watched those with my dad when I was very, very young. I remember both, but I think Sonny & Cher went off the air around the time I was 4. Carol Burnett lasted a year or two longer if I recall. Recently borrowed a "best of" disc from the library and it just wasn't as funny as I remember...maybe not a good selection.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Boy Meets World
teenage mutant ninja turtles
Xmen (not the biggest fan)
Step by Step
ALF
Heman
GI Joe
James Bond Jr

Rescue 911
Americas Most Wanted
Sliders
X Files
Lifestyles of the rich and famous

WWF Superstars
American gladiators
Star Search

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
Renegade!

Renegade was cool..
I used to watch a lot of syndicated weekend series.. A syndicated sci-fi/horror series I thought was really underrated & underappreciated was Friday the 13th (the Series). Not based on the Jason horror franchise.. more like a weekly X-Files. Original run in the late '8os..

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Another one I really liked, but didn't get to see it nearly often enough. Plus it was fairly short-lived. But thanks to Seinfeld the theme song will live on in perpetuity:D "Believe it or not George isn't at home..."

The timing of this thread is funny for me anyway. My wife's birthday was yesterday, and a co-worker of hers made a CD with 57 TV show themes on it. We carpool to work some days, and on the way home I heard tunes from a bunch of these shows right after I posted them in here. Was a beautiful coincidence. Among the themes were a few I still own on 45 RPM, including Joey Scarbury's themes from "Greatest American Hero."

Anyway, I think there were a bunch of shows I liked that were short-lived, some of which I've forgotten over the years. Greatest American Hero was a show I watched pretty faithfully with a couple buddies from my neighborhood. I think it might have been on Saturday nights. Angie is another one that I dug but wasn't on for very long.

In that same vein, I could have included Riptide among shows I watched in HS. Although on further inspection it wasn't on until I was in college, and I think my younger brother was a bigger fan than I was...

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
We used to setup the "gauntlet" in our living room with furniture/pillows and chuck tennis balls at each other as hard as we could.

My friends and I used to do that outside, with an arsenal of Nerf guns and such. But the most fun event to play, to us, was Breakthrough (run with a football through a guy, or be the guy to stop the football carrier). We did the Conquer part too (wrestling, throw a guy out of a circle), but not nearly as much.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
My friends and I used to do that outside, with an arsenal of Nerf guns and such. But the most fun event to play, to us, was Breakthrough (run with a football through a guy, or be the guy to stop the football carrier). We did the Conquer part too (wrestling, throw a guy out of a circle), but not nearly as much.

All of these.
My buddies dad had a tennis ball machine.

Plus, "hang tough" on monkey bars
Joust in the pool
Powerball with garbage cans

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Pre-teen shows I liked:

The Flintstones*
The Incredible Hulk*
The Six Million Dollar Man*
The Bionic Woman*
Wonder Woman
Dallas
Star Trek*
Welcome Back, Kotter
Happy Days
I Dream Of Jeannie
Laverne And Shirley
Hawaii Five-O*
Batman (Adam West version)*
Space: 1999*
Dynasty
The Fall Guy*
TJ Hooker*
Emergency!
The Brady Bunch
The Partridge Family*
The Twilight Zone*
Charlie's Angels
Starsky And Hutch
SCTV*
Get Smart*
The Tonight Show*

* = still holds up

My Best-Carey

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Oh lord...roughly in chronological order for me...

Pee-wee's Playhouse
TaleSpin
DuckTales
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
The Ren & Stimpy Show
The Simpsons
Salute Your Shorts
Clarissa Explains It All
Nick Arcade
Nickelodeon Guts
Home Improvement (groan)
The Adventures of Tintin
The Adventures of Pete & Pete
Rocko's Modern Life
Married... with Children
The Critic
Bill Nye The Science Guy
Space Ghost Coast to Coast
The Drew Carey Show
What a Cartoon!
KaBlam!
The Kids in the Hall
Saturday Night Live
Kenan & Kel
The Dana Carvey Show
Late Night With Conan O'Brien
Mystery Science Theater 3000
South Park
The Angry Beavers
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Futurama
Home Movies
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
The Brak Show
Sealab 2021
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Arrested Development (feels weird putting this on a list like this as it debuted about a week after I turned 16)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I really liked these cartoons:

Tales from the Cryptkeeper
The Real Ghostbusters
Spider-Man: The Animated Series (the only superhero I've ever liked)
Transformers
Talespin

I still watch Talespin from time to time. I've outgrown the others.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
First one that pops out is the Rugrats.

My older brother and I both have first names starting with T and my parents let us name our little brother. We picked Tommy after Tommy Pickles.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
A-Team
Battlestar Galatica
Hardcastle and McCormick
The Greatest American Hero
Miami Vice
Dukes of Hazzard
GI Joe
Transformers
Battle of the Network Stars
Three's Company

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
If it's just TV and not cartoons;

-Airwolf
-Star Trek:TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager,
-The Flash (1990)
-Three's Company
-Diffn't Strokes
-Facts Of Life
-Welcome Back Kotter
-Get Smart
-Saved By The Bell
-California Dreams
-Choose Your Adventure of whatever it was called (The Mario Lopez show)
-Step By Step
-Perfect Strangers
-Family Matters
-Batman 60s Series
-Nick Shows (Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude, Clarissa, Guts, Nick Arcade, etc)

Basically when I was a kid in NY, the Fox affiliate would show Three's Company, Diffn't Strokes, Facts, etc. and Channel 11 pre The CW would show the Star Trek's (later a local channel called NY-55 would as well). Nick At Night had the old shows, and of course NBC the Aaron Spelling/Peter Engle universe.

Loved wrestling as well. Fox had WWF Superstars of Wrestling, TBS of course with Jim Crockett/WCW on Saturday Nights, and the most underrated one was World Class Championship Wrestling out of Texas which somehow made it onto Sportschannel in NY midnight Friday nights into Saturday morning. During summers watching that, eating ice cream, that was the best.
We must've grown up in the same era because you listed most of the shows, the only ones that I would add is Flintstones and Bewitched which I watched at lunchtime.

Villella McMeans

Using the Force...
May 3, 2021
Chinatown
Ahahaha, all good oldies, on top of the many already mentioned above - I'll add Sledge Hammer, Night Court, Super Dave Osborne...and also say Star Trek Next Generation and SCTV and Get Smart were also my favorites haha! Oh, and original Looney Tunes!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->