Favorite Stupid Things You See/Hear At An Arena

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
and thats when i stop reading

haha i just changed over to ice from damn near a lifetime of roller hockey and i begin to feel the same way. Such a different game. I feel the same as when i first started playing roller hockey at like age 5.

RJ8812*

haha i just changed over to ice from damn near a lifetime of roller hockey and i begin to feel the same way. Such a different game. I feel the same as when i first started playing roller hockey at like age 5.

ahah ya...i was kinda saying that it a joke manner....

i like roller hockey as well, but its such a different game compared to hockey. i started with hockey when i was about 4, and when i was about 12 i played roller hockey. i thought it would be the same thing, but i struggled at first

lotus

Jul 22, 2006
New York
My problem is dealing with a heavier puck + skating + balance...hahahah damn thats allot. The problem is i cant just get out there to practice ya know? Costs $$$. All i got is my games every week which is by no means bad practice. I'm getting there, its just so damn frustrating cause i usually just skate through people in roller hockey. And now im a noob again.

Makmalkin89

Dec 31, 2006
Canada
the stupidest thing i see in all levels of hockey is when the centerman gets thrown out of the draw and the right winger steps in and the left winger goes to his opposite side when he could've just stayed there:shakehead

Nov 26, 2006
Fresno, CA
i don't like people who act tough when the spotlight's on them, but are scared when it's not.

was playing the other day (no contact league, but of course everybody knows it can't be like an NBA game) and there was a small collision between my friend and a player on the opposite team, not even enough for either to fall down..the other guy gets a little upset and says 'keep that **** on the playground'.
later on that same guy is involved in a scramble towards the net, he and another guy on my team collide pretty hard and the net is taken off it's moorings, everybody oohs and aahs, as it looked pretty bad...guy gets up and says, loud enough for everyone in the rink to hear "it's ok, i'm not afraid to put my body in the game"

he was a cherrypicker too, and said "it's not my fault nobody saw me back there"

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
Geez, got to page 5 of this thread and realized I was nodding my head with almost every message....!

Gotta put in my two cents....when our oldest boy was eight years old (he started playing at 6) he played on a small town (and I'm talking small - population 100)team. There were about eleven kids on the team, with about six players that got most of the ice time during games. Our boy was not the strongest skater so was bench warmer fairly regularly. At one tournament in particular he barely saw the ice. When the boys were done the second game of the tournament and our kid was still on the bench, my husband approached the coachs and mentioned that we had a family function that we should be attending, particularly if our boy wasn't going to play anyway. My husband had not gone yelling at the coachs, but they got defensive saying better players get more ice time "because that's what they do in the NHL"! That sure is not our philosophy for kids hockey, so we finished the season, then moved our boy to a different league.

Incidently, our kid is still playing hockey. Those five or six "better" players all quit when they were about 14. Wonder why, hey? Gotta wonder, too, if those coachs ever think back to what they said and realize how ridiculous they sounded...

BCCHL inactive

My husband had not gone yelling at the coachs, but they got defensive saying better players get more ice time "because that's what they do in the NHL"! That sure is not our philosophy for kids hockey, so we finished the season, then moved our boy to a different league.

Coaches with that kind of attitude need to be removed from minor hockey. It's that simple. It's a good thing you moved your kid elsewhere, but I would have been much more proactive to make sure that coach got what he deserved.

javorka

Sep 9, 2006
Coaches with that kind of attitude need to be removed from minor hockey. It's that simple. It's a good thing you moved your kid elsewhere, but I would have been much more proactive to make sure that coach got what he deserved.

True, but we're talking small town, here. And of course half of the parents (whose kids were on the ice a lot) had the same mentality as the coachs, anyway.
Funny how so many parents are more concerned that their kid is being "prepared for the big leagues" than being supportive of the kid developing a good attitude toward a healthy, active lifestyle.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
True, but we're talking small town, here. And of course half of the parents (whose kids were on the ice a lot) had the same mentality as the coachs, anyway.
Funny how so many parents are more concerned that their kid is being "prepared for the big leagues" than being supportive of the kid developing a good attitude toward a healthy, active lifestyle.

It's true. My brothers were in the same boat. Both were late growers, really small for their ages.

My parents stayed with the league (since it was a bigger centre) but got them to move teams and stay away from "THE" Coaches.

Funny thing, all of us still play hockey, my one brother was actually approached to play WHL and was at a training camp, but ended up blowing out his other knee. They stayed playing because they loved the game NOT because they wanted to be NHL stars. We were all able to avoid the "my kids first" coaches. Thank god.

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
It seems like you get so much more out of hockey playing for fun than letting to be your life trying to reach pro status.

I'd love to coach youth hockey but I don't feel I've played long enough to be a huge help teaching kids.

VisionQuest*

Dude behind me at Kings games last two seasons was brutal.

best thing ever

"look at those skates Sopel has on...they look like old hockey skates"

they were CCM 652s.

a timeless classic.

Puckboy

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Time to add my 2 cents.

I do not like when parents are not willing to bring their kids to the 6 am practices. I know you can not make every practice as it is a big commitment. but when you make it to all except the early ones I can not stand it.

Also do not like when parents do not get back to coaches when they are trying to confirm what kids will be able to make games or other events that a commitment is needed and other are organizing.

Draftman

Feb 28, 2002
Long Island, NY
Visit site
My son played in high school and club teams on Long Island. He played for one coach who only played the best players on the team, as well as one who played everyone equally no matter how good or bad they were. Since my son was usually the #1 goalie on the team's he played on it didn't affect him. I just wish some of these coaches used a little more common sense.

Talking to some of the parents in the stands was always interesting. I asked one mother of a player to calm down after her kid was moved from one line on the team to another. She threatened the coach that she would take her kid off the team, "during the game!"

When I told another woman that she didn't need to take these games so seriously since her kid wouldn't make the NHL. Let's just say, if looks could kill, I'd be dead.

My favorite stupid thing I hear however comes from baseball. At EVERY game I have attended, there is some moron who will say after the first hit given up by the home team, "there goes the no-hitter". Even if its in the first inning.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
My team just lost in the championships in a silver ice hockey league out here in SoCal. Our #1 center couldn't make the game because he went to see the Lion King play or something. It was our 3rd game in less than 24 hours and we ended up skating with 7 for 3 20 minute periods. Needless to say none of us were happy with his excuse.

brianguy

Oct 26, 2006
the Orange Curtain
My team just lost in the championships in a silver ice hockey league out here in SoCal. Our #1 center couldn't make the game because he went to see the Lion King play or something. It was our 3rd game in less than 24 hours and we ended up skating with 7 for 3 20 minute periods. Needless to say none of us were happy with his excuse.

same here, same area.

I've played entire games in a rec league or two with 5 or 6 skaters (12:00 periods, running clock). brutal, just brutal - especially in the less competitive divisions. I don't see why the people who run them don't restrict the number of teams, it's gotta be all about money, which sucks when you're paying $25-30 a game per player for ice time. but they DO restrict the number of players, which makes much less sense. if you know 10 or 15% of the guys aren't going to show up, or will drop out during a long season then they need to raise the max roster size.

Lion King, lol... the funny thing was I just saw that play a couple of weeks ago. but man I feel your pain. wasn't til a couple years ago I got with a well-seasoned team with around 16-17 players (the max) til we didn't have this problem anymore.

Last edited:

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
same here, same area.

I've played entire games in a rec league or two with 5 or 6 skaters (12:00 periods, running clock). brutal, just brutal - especially in the less competitive divisions. I don't see why the people who run them don't restrict the number of teams, it's gotta be all about money, which sucks when you're paying $25-30 a game per player for ice time. but they DO restrict the number of players, which makes much less sense. if you know 10 or 15% of the guys aren't going to show up, or will drop out during a long season then they need to raise the max roster size.

Lion King, lol... the funny thing was I just saw that play a couple of weeks ago. but man I feel your pain. wasn't til a couple years ago I got with a well-seasoned team with around 18 players til we didn't have this problem anymore.

We played a game with 6 skaters. One of our girls blew off her own friend's birthday party to come.

The best part is, we won. We had a skater dressed as a goalie and everything. We touched the puck, we iced it. I took about 5 or 6 intentional offsides, spent a lot of time just sitting and spinning behind the net with the puck. It was an UGLY UGLY game...but we won it.

Defensivly probably the best game we have ever played. We scored 4 goals and only allowed 2. They were on the PP and I accomplished to steal the puck and I sat behind their net...and just sat there. Someone would come...and I would spin away. Funniest. Game. Ever.

BCCHL inactive

Talking to some of the parents in the stands was always interesting. I asked one mother of a player to calm down after her kid was moved from one line on the team to another. She threatened the coach that she would take her kid off the team, "during the game!"

When I told another woman that she didn't need to take these games so seriously since her kid wouldn't make the NHL. Let's just say, if looks could kill, I'd be dead.

We need more people like you in the stands. While the attitudes might not change, if more sane parents tell the insane parents just how stupid they appear and sound, maybe they will at least shutup.

I'm seriously thinking about acquiring a case of rulebooks, going to random minor hockey games, and handing a free rulebook to any parent verbally harassing the young officials. It's time to start making ***** out of these people.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
I dont go that far. If I am on the spectators side of the rink, I am in the middle, taking pics and will address both sides at the same time when the crap back and forth starts. "lets not start being one of those idiotic parents...ITS JUST A GAME All with a big smile on my face.

Works like a charm. Doesnt give them anything to get riled over and cause an even bigger scene. Refs should be very willing to eject any parent from the stands. They have the power but rarely use it.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
People in the roller hockey league our school is in generally seem to have this complex where they strut around thinking they are king ****. Its like, you're playing roller hockey for your college club team.

ANytime anyone tries to do a special or "star player" move against our crappy team makes me want to deck them. God damn showboats.

WashCapsfan4life8

Jan 4, 2007
Virginia
Well my team had a playoff game at 7:20 AM, game right before the championship, in the morning and everyone showed up. Well we won that game 7-2 our goalie did great and it was one of our best played games and we were considered the worst team in the league. In our league there is only like 6 teams and everyone made the playoffs. But anyway, after the game the league owner said get ready for the championship because it starts at 11:30 AM that same day and at the time it was 9:00 AM We were all like ***? 2 games in 1 day within 5 hours? Thats cheap because the other team played the day before and was well rested. So the game started at 11:30 AM and we only had 6 players and a goalie out of a 17 player and 2 goalie team. I was one of the 6. Well we had the idea of just playing around and skate with the puck as long as possible but not going fast and passing it around. Well we did that for awile and did pretty good. end of 1st was only 1-0. Well beginning of the second the center passes me with the puck and i say lets try and get the 1 goal back and so i skate with it all the way, which was a surprise to the other team because they were thinking we were going to do wat we did in the 1st period but i ended up scoring and its 1-1. And then like 5 mins til the 2nd period ends the other team took a weak shot, not really weak but not hard, and our goalie decides to kick the puck away and he falls and misses the puck and it goes in. end of 2nd it was 2-1. we were doing pretty good. and i kept tell the team to not give up and we'll get the goal back. but 3rd period was horrible i ended up scoring again to bring it 2-2 but the game ended 5-2. the other team won and we all went into the locker room, happy because we know we did our best with what we had and we were already fatigued from the other game in the morning.

Edit: the players that chose not to go to the championship game were not allowed at the team banquet. It was pretty funny to see the look on their faces

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad