Favorite Stupid Things You See/Hear At An Arena

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
when the defenseman is behind his own net waiting for the other guys on his team to set up for a breakout. sometimes it takes a few seconds, and invariably during this time, fans boo the defenseman 'cause he's just standing there. people just don't understand the concept up setting up a good breakout!

also when a guy leaves the ice for a shift change when it seems like he can generate a possible rush, fans again boo or question what the guy is doing. he needs to get off the ice. he's tired.

Kung Pow

Nov 28, 2005
Red Deer, AB
Thats the one :bow: The tounament is at the Mall :biglaugh: . Great tournament. I just couldn't belive that the parents really thought that there would be scouts at the tournament :shakehead . I have been around the game for 40+ years and coached at the Jr level, BUT when a parent only wants to hear certain words spoken about their child NOTHING will convince them otherwise. The coach & parents were so convinced that this was one step closer to the show that I just had to stay home. To this day my nephew has not complained once about not going or being asked to play on the team anymore.

Yeah teh tournament is at the West Edmonton Mall (the biggest mall in the world). and there are scouts at that tournament.

KariyaIsGod*

Good stories...

If somebody slapped my son after a game, he would find my fists waiting for him in the parking lot.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I hate guys when we're just goofing around at the rink that take the game WAY too seriously. Someones already stated this as the guy who "sets the tone," it's ridiculous and its almost comical cause it's always the guy who thinks he's a hotshot but is just downright awful.

When I play organized hockey in the local league there is nothing worse then when a guy says he's gonna drop 'em and then doesn't. Not to mention the guys who are on your own team and constantly sit and beak people like crazy...even their own teammates, when they're going nowhere in hockey. Frustrating!

dbbourn

Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
Maybe this isn't appropriate for the boards but some jack@$$ on my team was trash talking with somebody on the other team. He took his glove off and said, "smell your mother." Completely classless and the whole team was so embarrassed that everybody agreed that he was no longer welcome on the team.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I've got lots of stories, some from a players perspective. This crazy coach/parent crap has been going on for a long time. I played rep until Bantam and I still remember the last game I played. I was breaking out of our own end and for some stupid reason instead of banking the puck of the boards and by a big defenseman, I decided to squeeze between him and the boards and he just nailed me. Well right away I knew something was broken so I went to the bench. I told the coach that my shoulder was really hurting and he just looked at it, told me "nothing is broken, or else it would be hanging" and told me to get back into the game. I refused and he really gave it to me right there on the bench in front of all my friends and teammates.

I went to the hospital after the game and indeed, my colarbone was broken. I played houseleague after that game because I was just sick of the "professional" tactics by everyone in rep. It's a game for crying out loud.

Glass jar

Nov 23, 2006
Hot dogs who chew out the goaltender for getting scored on on a 2 on 0 break, because they were cherry picking. Or even worse, slap their sticks in disgust, and give you a long dirty look. From center ice, no less.

Fans who ask you to "keep it down" at an nhl game.

I've only seen this once, but that obsessive stats freak fan, with a notebook full of pencil written stats getting irate after someone distracted them from concentrating on the play in front of them.

Keetz

Sep 14, 2004
Little Falls
As a beer league captian I often size up the opponent and look for the ringers during warm ups. every rink has got to have one of these guys.

during warm ups you spot him with the perfect form, the knees over the toes, shoulders back head up. Perfect stride and crossovers not even looking at the puck he has on a string. his backwards stride almost looks more natural than his forward. but...

When the game starts after you've warned your whole team about him, you soon realize theres nothing to worry about.

Yep its the slow motion guy!!!:dunce:

mac-sniper

Aug 25, 2006
As a beer league captian I often size up the opponent and look for the ringers during warm ups. every rink has got to have one of these guys.

during warm ups you spot him with the perfect form, the knees over the toes, shoulders back head up. Perfect stride and crossovers not even looking at the puck he has on a string. his backwards stride almost looks more natural than his forward. but...

When the game starts after you've warned your whole team about him, you soon realize theres nothing to worry about.

Yep its the slow motion guy!!!:dunce:

are you on dope?

hahah that mother comment is hilarious, im using that...that beer league show is a riot.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Anyone ever had a team captain who took his captaincy too seriously? My captain's a center, I'm Left wing and then we've got a right wing to complete the line(obviously). So the 3 of us were talking and he suggested a strategy. THe right wing disagreed, so the captain got PMSed and started accusing the right winger of 'not respecting his captaincy'.

We had a beer league game that started at 10pm. We were up 3-1, and scored a couple of late goals to make it 5-1. The other team's captain called timeout after the 5th goal (with about 1 minute left) and started yelling at his teammates that they weren't playing their style of hockey. :teach: The ref blew the whistle after about 15 seconds and ordered them back out for the faceoff. He was trying to keep a straight face but couldn't pull it off.

TheSabre

I was playing in a roller hockey league this summer. During the first period of a playoff game, one of my buddies on the team absolutely destroys one of their players along the boards. To the guy's credit, he bounces right back up after the hit. To his discredit, he immediately went after my buddy, all the while shouting "Hey! That's not hockey! That's not hockey!" My buddy turns around, and (with his glove still on) pokes him in the forehead (we call it a 'nook'). At the same time, he says: "I've had about enough out of you.

As soon as I see the hitee skating towards my buddy and yelling about how that's "not hockey", I come in and separate the two. I tell my buddy to worry about the game, and I ask the hitee this question: "If that isn't hockey, then what is?"

As soon as we get back to the bench after our shift ends, we look at each other and burst out laughing. He thought he knew what hockey was . . . . guess we learned him a thing or two.

BCCHL inactive

I was playing in a roller hockey league this summer. During the first period of a playoff game, one of my buddies on the team absolutely destroys one of their players along the boards.

Roller hockey and there's contact allowed?

In the roller hockey league here, any intentional bodycheck is a Match Penalty for intent to injure.

Reckless Abandon*

In my last rec league, it got pretty intense at times, and there were even a few fights, believe it or not. Actually, I wouldn't consider 'em fights, since everyone punched with gloves on and cages on (even though one happened in the lockerroom).

But anyways, one of the kids on the other team got thrown out, so after he changes and everything, he sits in the crowd for awhile, swearing at the ref. Then the ref goes over to tell him to leave the rink, and he reaches over and tries to hit the ref.

I found this hilarious.

TheSabre

Roller hockey and there's contact allowed?

In the roller hockey league here, any intentional bodycheck is a Match Penalty for intent to injure.
In the league I was playing in, they did relax the rules a bit. I would say my friend's hit was a borderline roughing penalty that ended up not being called. (Listen to me, the aspiring referee. :sarcasm: )

Slick

Oct 17, 2005
Western Mass
This is more of a pet peeve than anything else, but I hate when you're at open hockey and a guy that just came off the ice jumps back on when he see's someone skating to the bench, even though theres 1-2 other guys that have been waiting longer.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
This one is one of the favorite "STUPID THINGS" you see.

Our last game we played with 6 skaters and a skater we dressed up as a goalie. Anyway; our smallest player (who is about 5'1) is along the boards and keeps getting thrown around. To her credit she just goes THROUGH them.
Then one of their girls who is probably 5'11 goes FLYING in and nails our girl to the ice. Then they start skating up the boards beaking at each other.
It ends up with them kind of shoving each other and then our coach leaned over and grabbed our player before anything happened. :biglaugh:

Then I'm along the boards and one of the other team's husbands leans over the boards and goes "#14 you're EFFING DIRTY!" I looked at him and went "How the F would you know?" Then his wife started crosschecking and spearing so I tied up her stick and started going the other way. She turns to me and goes "Wanna go? Come on! Wanna go?"
I looked at her and went "Look at the scoreboard. We're beating you with SIX players and we're already embarrassing you. Do you REALLY want to make an *** out of yourself?"

Even the ref laughed.

hckyguy14

Last night I played in my usuall pick up league. I played goalie, and I'm not a goalie. It's a fun time, no check, just go out, split up, and play. I am a forward. But I fill in as a goalie when my uncle, who rents the ice, can't find a goalie. He was running short skaters last night so he scrapped the bottom of the barrell.

He invited a guy he didn't know, who dressed EXACTLY like Alexander Ovechkin. He's a decent player. But looked like an idiot. Especially when he scored on me. Which isn't that hard to do seeing as I'm not a goalie. After he scored on me he did the 'get down on one knee, dragging your other leg and windmill your arm' thing and I swear on my love for hockey, kissed his glove and pointed to the sky like AO.

The other guys found this so obsurd. One guy said to him 'hey buddy, you want the puck? I know it's the NHL and scoring on a guy who plays goalie once in a blue moon is a large occomplishment, one for the record books.'

Needless to say, he took a rough beating the rest of the game around and away from the puck.

By the way, we ended up loosing the game 7-6. The go-ahead goal was kinda stupid because the puck went into the bench, and the guy threw it to our guy, the worst defensman on the ice, and he went to give it to the other Dman and it was intercepted by the other team and they scored because I was just turning around from getting a drink of water, and didn't have any idea what was going on.

Maybe the best game I've played, 7 goals on about 20 shots. Not a all that great, but my personal best.

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
This one is one of the favorite "STUPID THINGS" you see.

Our last game we played with 6 skaters and a skater we dressed up as a goalie. Anyway; our smallest player (who is about 5'1) is along the boards and keeps getting thrown around. To her credit she just goes THROUGH them.
Then one of their girls who is probably 5'11 goes FLYING in and nails our girl to the ice. Then they start skating up the boards beaking at each other.
It ends up with them kind of shoving each other and then our coach leaned over and grabbed our player before anything happened. :biglaugh:

Then I'm along the boards and one of the other team's husbands leans over the boards and goes "#14 you're EFFING DIRTY!" I looked at him and went "How the F would you know?" Then his wife started crosschecking and spearing so I tied up her stick and started going the other way. She turns to me and goes "Wanna go? Come on! Wanna go?"
I looked at her and went "Look at the scoreboard. We're beating you with SIX players and we're already embarrassing you. Do you REALLY want to make an *** out of yourself?"

Even the ref laughed.

Damn, women's hockey sounds psycho. :eek:

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Lots of good stuff on this thread. Some stupid/annoying stuff from my recent beer league adventures:

We have a defenseman on our team who is easily our worst player and has no idea where to be on the ice. So on one play he's standing *behind our own net* as we get scored on by a shot from the slot. He then has the balls to go up to our goalie and state "I had my man". I thought the goalie was going to Belfour him.

Another night we played a team that likes to get loaded up before the games. You know that kind of team, where you see their players bringing rolling coolers and 24-packs into the locker room an hour before game time. This particular night they also brought some skanks from Hooters to watch them play. What made it hilarious is that when we scored first they all stood up and cheered. And then again for our opponent's goal. And again when we scored. That's right... they had no idea who was who and were cheering all the goals.

Finally, my personal pet peeve, a couple of forwards on my team who like to take the puck in to the offensive zone, turn it over, and then decide as the play goes the other way up the ice that it's a good time for a line change. Of course we end up getting frequently scored on when the odd-man rush goes the other way. The concept of dumping the puck in if you're tired and changing is completely lost on them no matter how many times I explain it.

Niftygrl16

Dec 20, 2006
Rhode Island
I have a couple......

The girl on my team who complains about ice time constantly, yet she is one of two centers who rotate through three lines and actually gets the MOST ice time.

Same player......when she loses the puck, instead of going after it and staying in the play she slams her stick, throws her head back, rolls her eyes and yells "*****!" God that annoys me!!

Funniest/stupidest thing is this one psycho chick (who happens to be someone I haven't gotten along with since high school which goes back about 22 years!) who plays on our rival team. One game she knocked down our weakest player and then stood over her yelling "YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME??!!" Good grief:shakehead .

And going to tournaments with that one woman who is SO cheap that she weasels her way into someone else's room and offers no money. Also hops in someone else's car for the 4 hour ride and offers no gas money. Same one who pays for her lunch along the way with EXACT change without giving any extra for the tip.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
Im a ref at a league that plays on an outdoor rink. We have four agegroups with Four teams in each agegroup. On a chilly day last winter we got the first three ages in when with about 5 minutes left in the 3rd game it started raining. From drizzle to downpour by games end. Obviously we had to cancel the final game of the day. I Loved the 7 parents of the 16 year old kids to try and convince us it was ok to play:shakehead ]. Trying to explain the dangers of roller hockey in the rain was like trying to explain calculous to a 5 year old.

Marjorie Post Park? Valley Stream? Long Beach? haha just wondering, I see that you're from LI.

-- George.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad