Favorite Stupid Things You See/Hear At An Arena

Famous Flames

Feb 16, 2004
Dallas
Hate Hate Hate ...

the cherry picker that yells at the D and goalie for giving up a goal. Used to play with a guy now and then who rarely skated much past the redline, much less the blue line. You know the type -- held his stick in the air at center the whole time we were trying to corrall the puck in our zone. He would always get all over our goalie about his minus if the other team scored while he was on the ice. I don't know how many times I reminding him that he was, in fact, allowed to cross our blueline and it would be really helpful if he did.

petenik

Oct 18, 2006
parts unknown
worse than the $200 sticks is the $200 sticks sawed in half cause little jonny is only 3 feet tall. save the money for skating lessons cause when they're that young it's not all about the stick...

also love wheel bags...everyone's got em now. they should be reserved for goalies and maybe the real old timers.

xeric716x

Born To Expire
Jun 20, 2006
New Jack City
www.facebook.com
the cherry picker that yells at the D and goalie for giving up a goal. Used to play with a guy now and then who rarely skated much past the redline, much less the blue line. You know the type -- held his stick in the air at center the whole time we were trying to corrall the puck in our zone. He would always get all over our goalie about his minus if the other team scored while he was on the ice. I don't know how many times I reminding him that he was, in fact, allowed to cross our blueline and it would be really helpful if he did.

i play with a kid like that now. its really annoying when he does it when we rent the ice.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
"Why is it so cold in here?"

That reminded me of the stupidest thing I had ever heard at a rink.

I was sitting on the bottom bleacher waiting to get on the ice and I overheard a conversation between a parent and a rink worker. The lady was complaining because the rink was cold and wanted to know why. I was so annoyed. She was wearing a t shirt and shorts. If I was that employee I would have asked her not to come back and to not have anymore kids.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
The guy on the other team who skates behind you and bangs his stick, waiting for a drop pass. That move hasn't worked since mites. (Although I think Stick has pointed out before that he still uses this move successfully).

Also, the girlfriend in the stands who knows nothing about hockey, yet won't shut her yap the whole game.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Morons who want the puck passed to them, and let out those annoying "WOOH!" noises. Just yell the dude's name or say, "Here's your help" or something, but don't bark like a b!tch.:shakehead

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton

Not only is it easier to hem a team in their end with buddy floating around the redline, as a defenseman you know the hail mary pass is coming and it's easy to intercept.

We have a guy like this on our team, it's frustrating.

The real stupid stuff happens upstairs at the executive level. Parents pretending to do whats good for the organization when they're really doing what's good for their kids. Oh the stories I could tell.........:shakehead

weezman

Morons who want the puck passed to them, and let out those annoying "WOOH!" noises. Just yell the dude's name or say, "Here's your help" or something, but don't bark like a b!tch.:shakehead

For sure! :banghead:

... and the guy on the other team always yelling out "point", "slot", or "drop" when he's behind you.

mncdn

Jul 29, 2005
MINNESOTA
I am a coach and I heard this on the bench. I coach 12 year olds.

"I am going to do a Bertuzzi on him"

All I have to say is way to go Todd....Dumb ***

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Parents that are not willing to get out of bed to bring their kid to the early morning practice. Happens to much

My philosophie on this is that you make a committment to your team, and you gotta live by that committment.
Besides, what's my lame excuse gonna be. My son gets up and goes and skates and practices. All I do is roll out of bed, drive to Tim Hortons get a Xlarge coffee and watch him. If he wants to go I will never stop him.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Parents that are not willing to get out of bed to bring their kid to the early morning practice. Happens to much

Someday when I have kids and if they're puckers, then I'm going to be the one way overexcited and jumping up and down at 4 am to go to the rink:biglaugh:

hockey_power

Oct 23, 2006
obviously..COMPTON
oh god the most annoying thing is when i watch my brother play after my game or what ever and I (knowing the rules/calls) hate it when stupid parents call the wrong thing and then yell at the reff. Like 'icing', people always seem to get that all messed up, and its SOOOO annoying, espeacillly when they are asking " why was the whistle blown? no one was near the puck" haha ****ing hilarious.
I mean CMON how long has your son been playing for LOL
:biglaugh:

member 30781

Some parents are funny as hell. I went to my friends hockey game and one of the guys on the other team just fell, not even sure how he did it. So one of the smartass dads in the crowd yells out one of the most common phrases you can hear at every hockey game. "Watch out, the ice is slippery." Thought it was pretty good for a high school game.:biglaugh:

Emmy Cate

Oct 2, 2006
Trenton, ON
www.myspace.com
omg... one girl on my team last year was complaining that her mom wasn't at a game(3 hours away from home I might add) to pick her up, and my boyfriend had the week off so he followed to bus to bancroft and when we were just about to leave, she made everyone wait for her mom to come and 45 minutes later... she threw her pads and equiptment into the bed of my boyfriends truck, climbed in the back of his cab and demanded him to drive... worst game and trip ever, and while playing she yelled at us(mainly me) what to do... she's a goalie(nothing against them though)... and she doesn't play center like I do and yells at me for losing a face off... I've been temped to drive her face into the ice.

and another thing I've heard are the soccer moms that don't know squat about hockey yelling at their kids to get goals and not check anyone into the boards.

pretty entertaining stuff too when I go to work on nights that the Quinte Devils play

BraveSirRobin

Ducks offseason
Feb 5, 2006
Yucaipa, CA
I've got a few things.

I hate the guys in beer leagues who feel the need to "set the tone" in a game by throwing a cheap shot at the other team's best player, then getting into a fight so that a message is sent. Look, I realize that hockey is an extremely emotional game and the occasional fight will happen, but going out to goon it up on purpose in a beer league is absurd.

I also hate the teams in the beginner/bronze divisions in beer leagues that destroy everyone, then move up to the next highest division, get beat by everyone there, then move back down and dominate everyone again. I hate that.

On a positive note, I used to coach mite roller hockey. A lot of them had just started playing, so their skating wasn't the best. Hearing how excited and worked up the parents would get when one of the kids got a breakaway, then hearing them get deflated when the kid tripped over himself was great. I fortunately never got the angry hockey parent, everyone was positive about their kids learning the fundamentals rather than winning. After hearing other coach's horror stories about parents, I consider myself very lucky.

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
My nephew played on one of the summer AAA tournament teams. The coach wanted him to play in a tournament in Edmonton. He tells me it's a big tournament. It's a once in a lifetime deal and if we don't go we would never be asked again. He tells me kids from all over the world want to play for this team! The cost was $5k and missing school for up to a week! We didn't go :biglaugh:

Oh yah I almost forgot. My nephew is a 92 and the tourament was 4 years ago when he was 10. Some will say he missed his chance to go pro because of my desicion :amazed: I will take my chances and the $5k to the bank.

wow did your nephew play for North Shore? I've played them and I'm a 92 they were a pretty good team IIRC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->