OT: Favorite restaurant(s) in Arizona and in the world

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Beaver Choice in Mesa. Polish/Swedish/Canadian food. Pierogies, Herring, Poutine, Schnitzel, Swedish Meatballs, Elk Stew, Pytt-i-Panna, Cabbage Rolls, Hunter Stew, Goulash and a whole lot more. One of the most eclectic menus you'll find in the entire valley. The Schnitzel Cordon Bleu is amazing.

Beaver Choice Scandinavian, Polish and Canadian Restaurant and Catering Phoenix Arizona
http://beaverchoice.com/Beaver_Choice_Menu.pdf
Big fan. I used to live a mile south of it and went there all the time in the days before kids.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I saw you mention somewhere that you work in North Scottsdale. Have you been to Lamp Pizza on Pima and Pinnacle Peak? I agree Bianco is pretty damn good but Lamp Pizzaria is right there with Bianco. My favorite is a three way tie between Lamp, Bianco and La Grande Orange.
The best deep dish Chicago style has to be Geno's East and Lou Malnati's. Both are favorites in Chicago that recently opened shops in Phoenix.

Lamp is just down the street from me on Pinnacle. Great pizza! La Piazza al Forno in Glendale is also pretty good.

Agree with Geno's East for Chicago-style, though Giordano's isn't too bad. Haven't tried Lou Malnati's yet. Love Chicago pizza but it is way too heavy for me to eat during the summer.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I saw you mention somewhere that you work in North Scottsdale. As do I. Have you been to Lamp Pizza on Pima and Pinnacle Peak? I agree Bianco is pretty damn good but Lamp Pizzaria is right there with Bianco. My favorite is a three way tie between Lamp, Bianco and La Grande Orange.
The best deep dish Chicago style has to be Geno's East and Lou Malnati's. Both are favorites in Chicago that recently opened shops in Phoenix.

Love Lou Malnati's. They're supposed to open their third AZ restaurant this fall in Scottsdale.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Lamp is just down the street from me on Pinnacle. Great pizza! La Piazza al Forno in Glendale is also pretty good.

Agree with Geno's East for Chicago-style, though Giordano's isn't too bad. Haven't tried Lou Malnati's yet. Love Chicago pizza but it is way too heavy for me to eat during the summer.
Agree on Giordano's. I tried it when they opened the store in Peoria about a year and a half ago. La Piazza al Forno in Glendale is another good one. Been there a dozen times as well as their downtown location. Lou Malnati's is pretty incredible. Check it out for sure.
We must be work neighbors in addition to having the same likes in artisanal pie. I work on Pinnacle Peak just a block away from Lamp.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Love Lou Malnati's. They're supposed to open their third AZ restaurant this fall in Scottsdale.
I didn't hear they were opening a third. It didn't take long to open their second location. I'm not surprised. We are pretty fortunate to have all the pizza options that we do. I think the pizza scene is better in Phoenix than LA. It's pretty impressive and outsiders will agree.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

I'll second Geno's East if you're in Chicago. Pizzeria Bianco is definitely tops in Arizona, though.

A couple of great places to try if you're in Glendale for a game - particularly if you are from the East Side and don't really know about the options - are Piazza al Forno and Haus Murphy's. For the latter, budget some extra time - it's fan-damn-tastic German food, but it's definitely not a light meal.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Phoenix breakfast - Matt's Big Breakfast
Phoenix area sushi - Sakana (great value and they often have Ankimo in the winter)
Tucson dinner - The Parish

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Beaver Choice in Mesa. Polish/Swedish/Canadian food. Pierogies, Herring, Poutine, Schnitzel, Swedish Meatballs, Elk Stew, Pytt-i-Panna, Cabbage Rolls, Hunter Stew, Goulash and a whole lot more. One of the most eclectic menus you'll find in the entire valley. The Schnitzel Cordon Bleu is amazing.

Beaver Choice Scandinavian, Polish and Canadian Restaurant and Catering Phoenix Arizona
http://beaverchoice.com/Beaver_Choice_Menu.pdf
That is a great menu. This is on my list.:thumbu:

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Fast Food (Arizona): Culver's (Sure, it's a Wisconsin-based chain, but I'll count this chain in the "Arizona" restaurant.)
Casual (Arizona): Barro's
Fast Food (Worldwide): McDonald's (duh!)
Casual (Worldwide): Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous (My favorite Memphis BBQ joint. I still buy the sauce from the place whenever I can.)

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Pizza: Old County Inn (Pine, AZ)
Upscale: The 703 (Payson, AZ)
Indian: Delhi Palace (Tempe, AZ), Bombay Palace (Honolulu, HI)
Casual/Fast: Steak & Shake
Chinese: C-Fu Gourmet (Chandler, AZ)
Steakhouse: Durant's (Phoenix, AZ), Fargo's (Payson, AZ)
Thai: Ayothaya Thai Cafe (Payson, AZ), Yupha's Thai Kitchen (Tempe, AZ)
Brewpub: Flanny's Bar & Grill (Tempe, AZ), Pinewood Tavern (Pine, AZ)
Fast food chain: In N Out
Japanese: garbage can
Italian: Gerardo's Firewood Cafe (Payson, AZ)
Breakfast: Tiny's Restaurant (Payson, AZ) - have eggs benedict and a mimosa, trust me on this one

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Pizza: Old County Inn (Pine, AZ)
Upscale: The 703 (Payson, AZ)
Indian: Delhi Palace (Tempe, AZ), Bombay Palace (Honolulu, HI)
Casual/Fast: Steak & Shake
Chinese: C-Fu Gourmet (Chandler, AZ)
Steakhouse: Durant's (Phoenix, AZ), Fargo's (Payson, AZ)
Thai: Ayothaya Thai Cafe (Payson, AZ), Yupha's Thai Kitchen (Tempe, AZ)
Brewpub: Flanny's Bar & Grill (Tempe, AZ), Pinewood Tavern (Pine, AZ)
Fast food chain: In N Out
Japanese: garbage can
Italian: Gerardo's Firewood Cafe (Payson, AZ)
Breakfast: Tiny's Restaurant (Payson, AZ) - have eggs benedict and a mimosa, trust me on this one

Oh yes for Durant's... That's my birthday meal haha!

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad