OT: Favorite restaurant(s) in Arizona and in the world

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen
Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen - Phoenix

Blackened Catfish with Alexander Sauce (not on the menu anymore but they'll make it) is what I usually get unless I go for the live Maine lobster. My favorite appetizers are the lobster bisque and pan seared frog legs. Now that's good eatin'!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Some random places:

Vietnamese: Da Vang
Fried Chicken and Biscuits: Welcome Diner
Korean BBQ: Gen Korean BBQ
Ramen: Nishikawa
Mexican: Comedor Guadalajara
Cajun: Flavors of Louisiana (Pappadeaux is pretty good too)
Sushi: Sushiholic
Cheesesteaks: Best of Philly
Dim Sum: Great Wall Cuisine

Reactions: Grimes

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Some random places:

Fried Chicken and Biscuits: Welcome Diner
Korean BBQ: Gen Korean BBQ
Ramen: Nishikawa
Mexican: Comedor Guadalajara
Cajun: Flavors of Louisiana (Pappadeaux is pretty good too)
Sushi: Sushiholic

Nishikawa is hands down some of the worst ramen I’ve ever had in my life. Taiko was some of the best and authentic Japanese food I’ve ever had since my family moved to the states from japan. I live on Cooper and Ray and I used to walk to Taiko. Then they replaced it with Nishikawa and I never went back. Seriously awful ramen. Lol

Republic Ramen in Tempe and Tokyo Stop in Tempe do it way better.

End rant

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I love ramen. I live on the West Side so those two you mentioned in Tempe are too far. I've been looking for a place to get it take out but haven't found one. That's my goto when I eat at Kabuki. Love the sea bass there too.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Nishikawa is hands down some of the worst ramen I’ve ever had in my life. Taiko was some of the best and authentic Japanese food I’ve ever had since my family moved to the states from japan. I live on Cooper and Ray and I used to walk to Taiko. Then they replaced it with Nishikawa and I never went back. Seriously awful ramen. Lol

Republic Ramen in Tempe and Tokyo Stop in Tempe do it way better.

End rant

I haven’t tried Taiko as that is way out of the way from me, but I’ve lived in Japan too, and Nishikawa and Noodle Bar in Downtown Phoenix stand out for ramen places for me here. Cherryblossom is solid too. Different strokes.

I tried to give Republic Ramen multiple chances when I was at ASU, but I’ve always found it bleh.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I love ramen. I live on the West Side so those two you mentioned in Tempe are too far. I've been looking for a place to get it take out but haven't found one. That's my goto when I eat at Kabuki. Love the sea bass there too.

I find Kabuki’s ramen is inconsistent with noodle quality. It is probably your best bet west of 75th Ave though.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
My favorite restaurant is The Pot Luck Club. It's in Cape Town, SA. Good luck getting reservations. I emailed 3 months in advance and at first they thought that I was pranking them because I mentioned that I was coming from Arizona. Three months in advance and we ended up with seats at the bar. Astoundingly good food and experience. It's in a converted mill. I remember that I had to tell the cabbie each time to go to The Silo.

Reactions: Grimes

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I haven’t tried Taiko as that is way out of the way from me, but I’ve lived in Japan too, and Nishikawa and Noodle Bar in Downtown Phoenix stand out for ramen places for me here. Cherryblossom is solid too. Different strokes.

I tried to give Republic Ramen multiple chances when I was at ASU, but I’ve always found it bleh.

Where in Japan did you live? I’m born and raised in Iwakuni

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I miss Taco Bell. Its funny the things you miss when you no longer live somewhere (I'm back in the UK now).

There are a couple here now but its not the same thing.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I miss Taco Bell. Its funny the things you miss when you no longer live somewhere (I'm back in the UK now).

There are a couple here now but its not the same thing.
Nothing can be the same as Taco Bell.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Fabio On Fire. Great fresh Italian food. The guy who opened it here on the West Side initially had a place in Scottsdale so he has a good pedigree. The food's amazing. Their sourdough bread is made from a starter that's something like a hundred years old.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

If you ever get Nishikawa for weekday lunch, hit me up. We’ll get some noodles and talk draft.

Reactions: IPreferPi

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If you ever get Nishikawa for weekday lunch, hit me up. We’ll get some noodles and talk draft.

I work in North Scottsdale so I doubt I'd ever get the opportunity to go to either Nishikawa location on weekdays. But I certainly appreciate the offer to meet up!

finkelsteinberg

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
AZ List:
Sushi: Nobuo at the Teeter House
Pizza: Pizzeria Bianco (of course)
Italian: Tratto
Mexican: Asadero Norte De Sonora (for authenticity) and Ottro Cafe/Gallo Blanco
Cajun: Baby Kays
New Restaurant: Roland's Market Cafe (Kind of an Italian/Mexican fusion)
Best Restaurant: Tratto but I haven't been to Binkley's (Used to go to Bink's Midtown which was fantastic)

Probably could comment on a lot more places locally but drawing a blank.

Non-AZ List:
Best Breakfast: Au Cheval in Chicago
Best Restaurant: Polite Provisions in SF or Plum in Oakland (May be closed now)

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Totally second Pizzeria Bianco.
I saw you mention somewhere that you work in North Scottsdale. As do I. Have you been to Lamp Pizza on Pima and Pinnacle Peak? I agree Bianco is pretty damn good but Lamp Pizzaria is right there with Bianco. My favorite is a three way tie between Lamp, Bianco and La Grande Orange.
The best deep dish Chicago style has to be Geno's East and Lou Malnati's. Both are favorites in Chicago that recently opened shops in Phoenix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad