Favorite Quotations from the "Thirteen Years of Thirst"

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The thirteen years of thirst are, of course, 2006-07 through 2018-19. I thought it might be masochistically fun to assemble the "best" of the organization's quotations from these baker's-dozen years of darkness. So, have at 'er!

I'll start with the most obvious ones:

Kevin Lowe (2013): "We have two types of fans."

Kevin Lowe (2013): "There’s one other guy, I believe, in hockey today, that is still working in the game, that has won more Stanley Cups than me. So I think I know a little bit about winning if that’s ever a concern."

Craig MacTavish (2015): "Next year I would forecast as another development year." (This was spoken as the Oilers missed the playoffs for the ninth straight season.)

Bob Nicholson (2019): "There's something in the water here in Edmonton that we don't have right."

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
MacTavish I wish I had the video. One of the reporters started calling him out after a 3 2 loss

"you're really negative you seem to have an agenda" something along those lines.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
"We made some changes too" Peter Chiarelli interview before the 18/19 season.

"The trade is one for one" PC

"I think the roster is good enough" PC (Nov 2018)

"We have the talent" BN

"I'll handle it Bob, I think I read a book on this once" PC, or maybe that was Peter Griffin

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
“How long has it been for them? Three years? Five? Seven? Probably closer to nine. Well, it’s about time they got their act together. They’re ruining the whole league. They better stop running a Mickey Mouse organization and put somebody on the ice.”
-Wayne Gretzky

I don’t care that he said that in November 1983. There has never been a more appropriate comment that applies to the Edmonton Oilers. Except change the timeline to 12+ years.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
"Chop Wood Carry Water"
-Dallas Eakins

Bobby Burgers has now decided to test the water quality before carrying it

Reactions: The Batman

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Hopefully coming soon: "I've realized that being a jock-sniffing loser that collects living hockey cards doesn't build a profita-*cough* sorry, winning team. I've decided to let go of the entire front staff and hire only the best" - Oh Holiest Jock Sniffing One.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
What exactly was Hitchcock's quote around the end of November? Something like:

"It's going to take me two to three weeks to straighten this out."

Reactions: McDrai

Marty McSurly

May 9, 2018
"I think drafting and development is how teams quickly go from the bottom to the top. We're going to be a shining example of that." - Daryl Katz, ep. 1 of Oil Change - June, 2010

Daaamn.. almost nine years later after that quote. Hahah, what a clown show.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
"visually to me, we're a better hockey team"
-Craig MacTavish, December 2014

"Justin Schultz has Norris trophy potential"
-Craig MacTavish, August 2014

"you wanted your centre, you got your centre"
-Steve Tambellini after signing Belanger, 2011

Reactions: RegDunlop

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
"I think drafting and development is how teams quickly go from the bottom to the top. We're going to be a shining example of that." - Daryl Katz, ep. 1 of Oil Change - June, 2010

That should be on a billboard ...lol

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
"The other point is that I could have re-signed with Edmonton, but I didn’t want to stay with that coach.”

-Anton Belov on Eakins after his one season with the Oilers and returning to the KHL.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
"We've shored up some of the personnel. These aren't sexy players. They're not sexy players. But neither is Drake. These are bottom-half players that can make a difference."

-Chiarelli on acquiring Manning and Petrovic.

Reactions: 780il

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->