Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I threw this idea by @ColePens... We're 10+ years into Crosby and Malkin playing for the franchise, and a bunch of guys have also laced up for the team since then. So I thought now would be a good time to vote for our – your - favorite players.

However, there will be some guidelines that you're expected to follow throughout these polls. Ignoring the guidelines could lead to an infraction if it's an isolated incident, and a thread-ban if it's a regular occurrence. We're not going to have a few posters ruin this for everyone participating.

First and foremost, do not demean fans or call out sections of the fanbase because they voted for a certain player. Some polarizing players are going to come up, and some posters will vote for them. Remember, they're allowed to - they're fans. There will be zero tolerance for posters being alienated because they voted for one of their guys.

Secondly, don't hijack threads because some player was left off or you disagree with how a poll turned out. If you think Adam Hall should have been recognized for his services to the team, then lobby for him next time. Also, you can recommend names to be added to the next poll.

Lastly, have fun. This isn't supposed to be a definitive ranking of every player to ever suit up for the Penguins. This is meant to lead to discussion among fans.

So, there you go. I think we can get to Mark Letestu by September.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Geno has been my favorite player by far since he first suited up for the Pens and went through several D men, scored a goal, fell down and punched the glass in happiness...it’s not even close, and I like him and his game even more now....

EDIT....just wondering on behalf of DB and Sully where Adams and Kuhnahackl are on this list?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Geno for sure. It would be cool to see a non Sid and Geno poll since I would suspect Sid and Geno to run away with this.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Ignoring the obvious guys (Sid, Geno, Flower) a few guys stand out as favourites........ Staal, Gonch, Duper and even Brooks.

But I always had a real soft spot for Ryan Malone. Was just such a great story to be drafted and then make the team as the first Pittsburgh born and trained player to play for the Pens.

Reactions: BHD

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Geno is so easy to love. He's flashy, fun to watch, productive, has a mean streak, and gives the best interviews in the NHL. He's the polar opposite of Crosby (except in the production department). And let's be real, everyone loves Crosby to the point it's not "cool" to have Sid as your favorite player.

If we can't choose Sid or Geno, It would probably be Neal. Best winger Geno has ever had ( I don't consider Phil as Geno's winger), insane shot, amazing chemistry with Geno, elite production, hell of a mean streak. Seeing him knee Marchand in the face or throw a shoulder into Schenn? never gets old.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I don't see Adams, Glass, Sill, or Porter on the list. They certainly had to be coaches' favorites.

As much as Sid and Geno define the era, Gary Roberts was a hockey demigod amongst mere mortals.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Overall Sid is my favourite. My pug is named after him :laugh:.

Currently Hornqvist is my favourite but I pretty much love most Penguins once they put the jersey on and step out onto the ice.

Reactions: BHD

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
I hate having to choose between Sid and Geno. Both incredible players and, from what we see, genuinely good people. I went with Sid because I think he's just slightly better in the end. Honestly though, I really could have gone with either.

If we're going with non-Sid/Geno picks, mine would be Gonch(with Horny a very close second). A smart, skilled, tactical dman. One of those guys that leads through class and composure. I really wish this team had a Sergei Gonchar on the ice.

Reactions: KIRK

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Boy, this is actually tough, and by what I mean by that is they Sid/Geno have at different times been my favorite, then add in guys like Kessel and so forth.

Sid is just too easy of an answer, but it should be him.

Favorite = Sid overall (HM Geno)
Favorite at the current moment = Kessel

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Not including Sid and Geno since they’re not only the best, but also the guys we get to know the best, so it’s not fair.

Favourites: Kessel, Staal, Gonchar, Hornqvist, Cullen, Letang.

Least favourite: Sutter, Orpik after 2011, Glass.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Obviously Sid and Geno are great. Kessel is my spirit animal. Fleury's big stupid grin will always have a special place...

And of course guys like Talbot, Feds, Satan, and Roberts were so much fun in the 08' and 09' runs....

But have to give it to Iggy. I didn't sleep at all that night we traded for him, stealing him from Boston. He was a favorite player of mine for a long time. I was so hyped. I loved seeing him in a Penguins uniform. And then.... god damn did it get so bad so quick. Orpik shoots that puck right into Crosby's mouth. He's out for the year. Bylsma decided that a HoF career RW should play on the left side. And even when Crosby did come back, Kunitz and Dupuis were surgically reattached to his sides. And then Boston, and that f***ing beautiful Jagr stache, bounced us in 4 straight games. The irony of it all.

Was so disappointing. Really wanted to see Crosby play with a superstar like Iginla but that didn't stop me from enjoying what he could do on his off-wing with Geno.

Last edited:
Reactions: BumFortyOne

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Geno is more endearing than Sid. Sure, Crosby is by all accounts a great guy not to mention an incredible hockey player but there's a a certain goofiness about Malkin that makes him more likeable to me. For being one of the best players on the planet since he came into the league he still somehow has this "underdog" aura about him that makes you want to root for him even more.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Letang. The lead-up to his cup winning goal and the Caps goal for his brother in the heavens Luc.

Every time he does the arrow celebration it’s pretty rough.

Such a class act. I think he’s arguably the worst loser on the team, which I love. Never question his effort.

Last edited:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Not including Sid and Geno, I'd go with Neal.

I met him at an autograph signing in Toronto back in 2013 right after his 40 goal season. Was a great guy to meet and he chatted with me for like 10 minutes even though there was still a lineup of people behind me. :laugh: He even gave me a thumbs up when I left.

Honourable Mentions:

- Gonchar
- Hossa
- Godard

Last edited by a moderator:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Cullen helps bring another Cup here, I think him. Legend.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Staal was my favorite player when he played for the Pens, so I'm voting for him.

It's weird not voting for Sid or Geno, because they are 1a/1b for me now.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
Geno by far. There are times when I'm absolutely entranced by his play. Back in school pre-2010 when I indulged in certain substances I'd put on music, turn down the TV volume and just sit and watch games. He was/is mesmerizing. Visually stunning. I watch games more traditionally now, but those times stick with me. He's still a great player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad