OT: Favorite Player #4

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Make sure to mention some names you think should be up there. The next poll will be up this evening.

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I rolled out a vote for Armstrong.

He was part of the lovable losers. Plus the local commercials and PensTV bits were funny.

I'm not sure if I like or hate those blindside around net hits he did for a bit or if they horrify me...maybe the fact I love them makes me sick...I'm glad the league is SORT of moving on from these things, but, in the era can I be a fan of these hits? Kasparaitis)? Stevens?

Last edited:

Sorry

May 18, 2005
He literally said Gonchar is the only # 1 defenseman of the Crosby / Malkin era.

Even if Letang can be better two way defenseman, which is debatable considering his regular mental breakdowns, Gonchar brought more to the Pens when he was at his best. His breakout passes, his ability to run the power play from the point, Letang pales in comparison to Gonchar in these categories. He was also highly intelligent. Did he let Travis Moen waltz down the wall and score a crippling goal against the Pens? Yep. But how many times has Letang screwed up royally?

I really like Letang, but Gonchar was more important to the team.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Better means nothing in this. Sarge was booed out of the building many times in his first year, but redeemed himself greatly the rest of his time here. And he still is redeeming himself greatly. Mad props to Sarge. I remember people booing him every time he touched the puck he was THAT bad his first year.

Btw.. I believe max contract at that time. 5 years x 5 mil. :laugh: Boy I often forget how close the game was to dying.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
As much frustration as he's caused the past few years - Kris Letang was the name that stood out to me for the four spot.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Better means nothing in this. Sarge was booed out of the building many times in his first year, but redeemed himself greatly the rest of his time here. And he still is redeeming himself greatly. Mad props to Sarge. I remember people booing him every time he touched the puck he was THAT bad his first year.

Btw.. I believe max contract at that time. 5 years x 5 mil. :laugh: Boy I often forget how close the game was to dying.

Yeah he was awful early in his first year as a Pen. He then became the leader of the locker room. And for me, he’s right there at the top of my favorite Pens of this era.

And yeah lol that was a BIG contract when they signed him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He was part of the lovable losers. Plus the local commercials and PensTV bits were funny.

I'm not sure if I like or hate those blindside around net hits he did for a bit or if they horrify me...maybe the fact I love them makes me sick...I'm glad the league is SORT of moving on from these things, but, in the era can I be a fan of these hits? Kasparaitis)? Stevens?

He is consistently harassed about these on HNIC.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

Same.

Kunitz has the craziest one I remember. Props to Timonen for just hopping right back up cause I thought he might be dead when I saw this live.

Reactions: EightyOne

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Same.

Kunitz has the craziest one I remember. Props to Timonen for just hopping right back up cause I thought he might be dead when I saw this live.

Was this the hit that had that type of hit banned from the NHL? The behind the net one way and player coming in the other way - making for unavoidable execution style hit.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Yeah he was awful early in his first year as a Pen. He then became the leader of the locker room. And for me, he’s right there at the top of my favorite Pens of this era.

And yeah lol that was a BIG contract when they signed him.

Worse yet, is that tanger was supposed to be the next Gonchar. There will never be another Gonchar just like there will never be another Lidstrom.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Huge Gonchar fan. My issue is that you said Letang is not a number 1 D. He’s basically Gonchar without the clapper.

Huge Letang fan, but I never viewed him as a #1 D. He’s no where near as smart or impactful as Gonchar was, IMO. Agree to disagree I guess :)

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I would actually like to see Beau Bennett on here soon. He may not have played much bc he was constantly injured but he was really likable imo. I have about ten guys on the poll still before him.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Here are some names: Goligoski, Scuderi, Jokinen, Maatta...

The next poll will be up this evening.
Aaargh! Please, he was a favourite of mine for a minute when we finally got rid of him, what made him even better was when he transformed into Daley.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Scuderi, like Orpik, would be up because of his the seasons where he was a serviceable member of the team.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Scuderi, like Orpik, would be up because of his the seasons where he was a serviceable member of the team.
Hmm yeah ok i get that but then what does 'favourite' mean? I mean, how could Scuderi even be considered as a favourite when he didn't suck? I get 'bone crunching' Orpik being a favourite before turning traitor but the Scuds missile? Not much to like there except for what we got for him imo.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Hmm yeah ok i get that but then what does 'favourite' mean? I mean, how could Scuderi even be considered as a favourite when he didn't suck? I get 'bone crunching' Orpik being a favourite before turning traitor but the Scuds missile? Not much to like there except for what we got for him imo.
Yeah, I'd put Lovejoy up there before Scuds. And I say that as someone who is still bitter about the Despres trade and was driven to the brink of insanity by the Rev's constant icings.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I think Letang at his best is better than Gonchar at his best. I also think Gonch was the lesser of the two when they're at their worst. The first half of his 1st season here Gonchar was awful in every single way, including offensively.

After his 1st season though, Gonchar was more consistently good than Letang has been.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you look at a #1 defender, that would basically be the top 31 defenders in the league. I definitely put Letang as a #1. No matter how inconsistent he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad