Favorite Penguin Tournament (Lemieux Era-Current) - Round 3 - VOTING CLOSED

Vote for your favourite player in each pairing (not necessarily the best)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think a lot of Coffey and Jagr’s good will will benefit Letang and even Fleury when we are 20 years removed from this squad.

And I could see Letang being part of another cup. Especially if we play again this year. Having a fully healthy Pens squad with rest probably benefits our team more than any other in the league given what we went through.

Perhaps... probably. Though Jagr is still a VERY divisive figure around here. But I think Letang will gain more appreciation as the years go on. I don't really know what you mean re: Fleury -- he already has his own cult.

As to your second point... I don't think this is a Stanley Cup team. I hate to be that way and obviously I hope I'm wrong but I don't see it. They had some inspiring high points earlier in the year but I think it was a handful of guys just going HAM and there isn't much sustainable there. Their forwards, as a group, lack creativity and punch... their defense is kind of a patchwork. Inconsistent goaltending, at best. Would get past the first round... no farther.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
There were definitely a few games weeks where they were doing what it takes.

But yeah. There is a missing spark. Maybe JG and an actually healthy Sid will be it?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
There were definitely a few games weeks where they were doing what it takes.

But yeah. There is a missing spark. Maybe JG and an actually healthy Sid will be it?

I mean... those would be two huge additions. Just in health.

When Jake went down I kind of checked out for a week or two I was so dismayed. I'd be tempted to stick him back with Malkin whenever they are healthy now that Zucker is a thing. Obviously Sid + Jake = great success but I saw something between those other two that was perhaps even more promising.

But yeah even with those two back at full health... I dunno. I'm not a believer in this defense, at all. And at this point I have no idea what to even think about the goaltending.

Sorry I'm derailing, here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean... those would be two huge additions. Just in health.

When Jake went down I kind of checked out for a week or two I was so dismayed. I'd be tempted to stick him back with Malkin whenever they are healthy now that Zucker is a thing. Obviously Sid + Jake = great success but I saw something between those other two that was perhaps even more promising.

But yeah even with those two back at full health... I dunno. I'm not a believer in this defense, at all. And at this point I have no idea what to even think about the goaltending.

Sorry I'm derailing, here.

Letang has been lights out to start the last two years. Then he gets overplayed due to injury and gets burned out. Dumoulin’s injury would have typically took a month or two to recover from. Let’s not even add in Schultz’s injuries

The D is going to look greasy if they come back healthy.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Agree with most of the above, but 58’s skating wasn’t comparable to Coffey’s. The latter’s skating was off the charts compared to everyone unless my memory has faded. But Coffey’s “defensive” side of the game was not nearly as good as 58’s. Defense was more of a hobby than a vocation for Coffey.

I only meant that when Letang was younger, there were those who saw a smooth skating defenseman and comparisons were made. I acknowledged in my post that it wasn't on Coffey's level. Coffey was probably the best skater I've had the opportunity to watch.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
That’s cool, but I doubt many here even watched Coffey play here and are just spitefully selecting him because of what the above poster said Letang is DuMb.

I'm pushing 50 years old and have watched Coffey play since his Edmonton days. Your post that I quoted said you couldn't see how anyone could choose Coffey over Letang. I gave valid reasons why one could. At the time I posted, the poll was a dead even 50/50 split between them. I could post videos of Coffey scoring too. I also don't hate Letang. I'm pointing out why I would choose one over the other. I've seen enough of Letang to know he severely lacks hockey IQ. There's a laundry list of things in Letang's game that makes me disagree with you. Coffey wasn't that physical and didn't block shots, that's pretty much my only criticism of his game.

I didn't pick Coffey because he's "Coffey not being Letang." I picked him because I have watched him play, but thanks for speculating about me.

Reactions: EightyOne

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Lol what?

Mostly 40% trolling, 30% bored, and 30% truthful, though also a BIG fan of Barrasso. Best puckhandler I've ever seen, and also totally a lovable shithead.

But for the sake of clearing out some of the deadwood:

1) Mentally fragile. Once beaten mentally, fell to pieces in his play.

2) Not even responsible for the most clutch plays during his Cup wins.

3) Got stabbed by his wife which f***ed his season up.

4) Egoist who sabotaged attempts to bring in young talented goaltenders to platoon with.

5) Weirdly beloved by the Pittsburgh fanbase, even long after the time he was playing for the team.

6) Becomes a cultural touchstone for a large segment of the Pittsburgh fanbase regardless of his actual track record or play.

Kind hits a lot of MAF boxes, TBH.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Barasso is another guy I can't help but have a lot of respect for (and dude really could handle the puck better than some forwards I've watched play the game) but I definitely didn't much care for him.

Ask JS Aubin how big a fan HE is.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Mostly 40% trolling, 30% bored, and 30% truthful, though also a BIG fan of Barrasso. Best puckhandler I've ever seen, and also totally a lovable shithead.

But for the sake of clearing out some of the deadwood:

1) Mentally fragile. Once beaten mentally, fell to pieces in his play.

2) Not even responsible for the most clutch plays during his Cup wins.

3) Got stabbed by his wife which f***ed his season up.

4) Egoist who sabotaged attempts to bring in young talented goaltenders to platoon with.

5) Weirdly beloved by the Pittsburgh fanbase, even long after the time he was playing for the team.

6) Becomes a cultural touchstone for a large segment of the Pittsburgh fanbase regardless of his actual track record or play.

Kind hits a lot of MAF boxes, TBH.

Barrasso was legitimately the best goaltender in the league for a year. And all that other stuff rules.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Barrasso was legitimately the best goaltender in the league for a year. And all that other stuff rules.

So, you love MAF. Duly noted. :laugh: :naughty:

But back on the thread for a second, you're voting Barrasso for his contribution to the team, but not Francis, even though Barrasso's best years as a goaltender were for the Sabres (I assume that's what you mean by best goaltender in the league)? Interesting.

Again, maybe Earl Mann poisoned my brain with those VHS tapes about the Cup teams, but wasn't THE SAVE which made it possible for the Pens to even survive the first round of the 1990-91 playoffs Frank "Who the f*** Am I?" Pieterangelo? Wasn't he actually in net most of that first Cup run?

I mean, thank god it wasn't Wendell Young, but...

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
So, you love MAF. Duly noted. :laugh: :naughty:

But back on the thread for a second, you're voting Barrasso for his contribution to the team, but not Francis, even though Barrasso's best years as a goaltender were for the Sabres (I assume that's what you mean by best goaltender in the league)? Interesting.

Again, maybe Earl Mann poisoned my brain with those VHS tapes about the Cup teams, but wasn't THE SAVE which made it possible for the Pens to even survive the first round of the 1990-91 playoffs Frank "Who the f*** Am I?" Pieterangelo? Wasn't he actually in net most of that first Cup run?

I mean, thank god it wasn't Wendell Young, but...

Barrasso was top three in Vezina votes twice as a Penguin? I think you are forgetting how good Barrasso is or you didn’t watch him. He is the best American goalie of all time.

Francis was great, but Kunitz was basically the only consistent player that wasn’t Sid or Malkin in our three cup wins in this era.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Barrasso was top three in Vezina votes twice as a Penguin? I think you are forgetting how good Barrasso is or you didn’t watch him. There is some argument to him being the best American goalie of all time.

Nah, man. I grew up with Barrasso, but you're all up in your shit about Francis, so I'm going to turn that logic around. :laugh:

I mean, the dude hid in net from plastic rats. Great goalie, but definitely overrated for his contributions to the Pens which is what this is about, no? Or are we just giving up that pretense and voting for our favorite players, because I like that idea way better.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Nah, man. I grew up with Barrasso, but you're all up in your shit about Francis, so I'm going to turn that logic around. :laugh:

I mean, the dude hid in net from plastic rats.

Not sure why? It’s the Letang / Malkin “Penguins legacy” versus Jagr. What Letang and Malkin have done for this franchise supersedes what Jagr did. Same thing with Kunitz IMO over Ronnie.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Not sure why? It’s the Letang / Malkin “Penguins legacy” versus Jagr. What Letang and Malkin have done for this franchise supersedes what Jagr did. Same thing with Kunitz IMO over Ronnie.

But what did Barrasso DO? You mention the Vezina, that was with the Sabres. You can mention the mentions, but... those aren't an award. Pieterangelo and Wregget played lots of PO games for those cup runs.

So, fill me in, what am I missing here?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
But what did Barrasso DO? You mention the Vezina, that was with the Sabres. You can mention the mentions, but... those aren't an award. Pieterangelo and Wregget played lots of PO games for those cup runs.

So, fill me in, what am I missing here?

No they didn’t. Barrasso played all 21 in 92 and 20 in 91? Wregget played literally 1 game in 92. Piets was solid in 91z

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
This is a favorite player bracket. Why the f*** are we debating why or why not someone should be a favorite player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->