Favorite Penguin Tournament (Lemieux Era-Current) - Round 3 - VOTING CLOSED

Vote for your favourite player in each pairing (not necessarily the best)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I populated the bracket by Hockey References' Point Shares from the 1984/85 season (Lemieux debut) to the current season. Kind of a rough estimate of impact on the team in these years.

povl78j7.svg

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
@pixiesfanyo
"Vote for your favourite player in each pairing (not necessarily the best)"

I don't find Letang on my favorite list. I like the classic players, man. hahaha.

His flow is nice. But his commercials suck.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
@pixiesfanyo
"Vote for your favourite player in each pairing (not necessarily the best)"

I don't find Letang on my favorite list. I like the classic players, man. hahaha.

His flow is nice. But his commercials suck.

Not sure how anyone can take a dude who was here a couple of years and played 12 games in a cup win over a dude that has done what Letang did for us in 09 and 16, but okay.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
If there's any tie by the time the poll closes, I'll just put tiebreak in the title and first person (that didn't already vote on that specific match-up) to respond with their choice advances to the next round.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Not sure how anyone can take a dude who was here a couple of years and played 12 games in a cup win over a dude that has done what Letang did for us in 09 and 16, but okay.

Coffey was the first serious help that the Pens brought in for Lemieux. He probably would have finished his career in Pittsburgh if he wasn't traded. In fact, he was pissed that he got traded away from Pittsburgh. I don't like the "what if" game, but there's no telling how he would have helped in the '92 playoffs, or especially '93.

The only thing Letang has on Coffey is more physicality. (Letang's skating was compared to Coffey's, but it's not quite there.) Coffey thought the game at a much higher level, was FAR more adept at running a powerplay, got his shots on net with accuracy, was a superb passer, didn't routinely turn it over at the offensive blueline, and wasn't dumber than a bag of hammers.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Coffey was the first serious help that the Pens brought in for Lemieux. He probably would have finished his career in Pittsburgh if he wasn't traded. In fact, he was pissed that he got traded away from Pittsburgh. I don't like the "what if" game, but there's no telling how he would have helped in the '92 playoffs, or especially '93.

The only thing Letang has on Coffey is more physicality. (Letang's skating was compared to Coffey's, but it's not quite there.) Coffey thought the game at a much higher level, was FAR more adept at running a powerplay, got his shots on net with accuracy, was a superb passer, didn't routinely turn it over at the offensive blueline, and wasn't dumber than a bag of hammers.

Also, let’s not pretend the 91 cup was largely won without Coffey and they were tempted to not even play him in the Finals series until the PP was such a disaster in game 1 against Minnie.

Sorry. Anyone taking Coffey over Letang is severely underrating what Letang brought to this franchise in two cup wins. Coffey is a legend and one of the best defenseman to every play the game, but Letang is the best Pittsburgh Penguin D in history and is arguably the 5th or 6th most important player in franchise history depending on how you view MAF.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
As an old bastard I watched Coffey. That's why I picked him. He was a f***ing wizard out there.

No major disrespect to Letang. He has done things and put in work for this team that nobody can take away from him. But honestly he's never been much of a favorite of mine. Perhaps that sounds contradictory but to me it is not.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
As an old bastard I watched Coffey. That's why I picked him. He was a f***ing wizard out there.

No major disrespect to Letang. He has done things and put in work for this team that nobody can take away from him. But honestly he's never been much of a favorite of mine. Perhaps that sounds contradictory but to me it is not.

I can understand that. I just think a decent amount of the votes are like the one above where it’s more about Coffey not being Letang versus Coffey. I’m sure people will use the we won without Letang argument, but we essentially did the same with Coffey twice which was partially why he was traded prior to 92.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I can understand that. I just think a decent amount of the votes are like the one above where it’s more about Coffey not being Letang versus Coffey. I’m sure people will use the we won without Letang argument, but we essentially did the same with Coffey twice which was partially why he was traded prior to 92.

Letang is a pure Pittsburgh Penguin. He has given a lot to this team so for that he will always have my respect.

And for the record you are right... he gets some hate that he probably doesn't deserve. But Coffey really was on a different level and if I'm being TOTALLY honest with you Letang tends to make me rub my temples in confusion and frustration almost as much as he makes me say "f*** yeah Tanger."

Though I have to say the game was for sure different, then. Tough to assess on a completely fair basis. And it wasn't like Coffey didn't make his fair share of unforced gaffes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Letang is a pure Pittsburgh Penguin. He has given a lot to this team so for that he will always have my respect.

And for the record you are right... he gets some hate that he probably doesn't deserve. But Coffey really was on a different level and if I'm being TOTALLY honest with you Letang tends to make me rub my temples in confusion and frustration almost as much as he makes me say "f*** yeah Tanger."

Though I have to say the game was for sure different, then. Tough to assess on a completely fair basis. And it wasn't like Coffey didn't make his fair share of unforced gaffes.

I think a lot of Coffey and Jagr’s good will will benefit Letang and even Fleury when we are 20 years removed from this squad.

And I could see Letang being part of another cup. Especially if we play again this year. Having a fully healthy Pens squad with rest probably benefits our team more than any other in the league given what we went through.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Agree with most of the above, but 58’s skating wasn’t comparable to Coffey’s. The latter’s skating was off the charts compared to everyone unless my memory has faded. But Coffey’s “defensive” side of the game was not nearly as good as 58’s. Defense was more of a hobby than a vocation for Coffey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->