Favorite NHL Team

Hockey4Life1987

Feb 25, 2021
Hi all,

I am looking for my favorite NHL team at the moment (I'm new to Hockey), so I've decided to follow this short 56 games season in order to make my decision before the next regular season will start. So far from all 31 NHL teams It's down to my final four :

New York Islanders

Florida Panthers

Ottawa Senators

Vancouver Canucks

If you had to choose your favorite team ouf of these four teams, which team would you choose and why (based on the history of the team, it's fanbase, number of playoffs performances and other relevant considerations in your opinion)?

I love watching all these four teams play, and that's why it's hard for me at the moment to choose only one of them. Eventually, I really want to cheer for only one team through thick and thin, as all loyal fans should do.

I can't wait to read your comments and I thank you for your help,

Hockey4Life1987

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If playoff history is a big part, then it has to be the Islanders thanks to their early 80's dynasty, but if recent success is more important, then....well...

Of the four, I would pick the Panthers, because of their core players, but they seem so hit and miss - one year they are great, the next they are atrocious. Could cause anxiety problems really, ha ha ha.

I couldn't cheer for the Senators because I don't trust their awful owner to keep any of their young stars around when they are looking for raises.

Reactions: spazway49

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Nobody can tell you or rationalize which team you should choose, it's a purely personal decision. If those are the final 4, continue to watch them and acknowledge which one makes you the happiest to see win, most upset when they lose, etc.

Any upcoming Ottawa vs Vancouver game, see which team you end up pulling for more. Watch old highlights from last year or 2 years ago between those 4 teams and see which team you end up pulling for most.

That's my take anyways, Cheers.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Love who you've narrowed it down to. Too many new fans just go with the most successful/biggest franchises. Nice to see someone shake it up a bit.

Also, pick the Sens (unbiased af).

Reactions: longtime lurker

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
While it’s not for everyone but after too many years of disappointment I bailed on my old team and getting a fresh start with Seattle.
Maybe not a good idea if immediate success is important however.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
While it’s not for everyone but after too many years of disappointment I bailed on my old team and getting a fresh start with Seattle.
Maybe not a good idea if immediate success is important however.
Actually this may be the right call. Perfect time to join a team. Downside is West Coast time zone (assuming you're in the East).

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
You must be new to hockey if you enjoy watching the Isles.
If you are angry and bitter you will fit right in with the Nucks
Sens have a bright future but the owner will screw it up.
Panthers may be your answer. And they could use an extra fan.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Senators are probably the easiest to root for, optimistic future and can’t get too disappointed when they lose.

Couple that with the fact that if look deep into our talent pool, you’ll be down a hockeydb rabbit hole.

Brady, Stutzle, Chabot all fun players to watch.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I've always really liked the Sens. They're saddled with the worst owner in the NHL but I'll be damned if they aren't generally one of the hardest working teams every year even though they lack those superstars, and they always seem to be pumping out NHL talent that they draft and develop.

That said maybe consider Seattle as well? You can say you've been a fan since day 1 this summer!

That aside if you don't have any real ties to any teams, I'd say root for the players you enjoy watching instead.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Hi all,

I am looking for my favorite NHL team at the moment (I'm new to Hockey), so I've decided to follow this short 56 games season in order to make my decision before the next regular season will start. So far from all 31 NHL teams It's down to my final four :

New York Islanders

Florida Panthers

Ottawa Senators

Vancouver Canucks

If you had to choose your favorite team ouf of these four teams, which team would you choose and why (based on the history of the team, it's fanbase, number of playoffs performances and other relevant considerations in your opinion)?

I love watching all these four teams play, and that's why it's hard for me at the moment to choose only one of them. Eventually, I really want to cheer for only one team through thick and thin, as all loyal fans should do.

I can't wait to read your comments and I thank you for your help,

Hockey4Life1987

Welcome to the hockey family!
First I must say that I'm quite sad you are not considering Montreal (my hometown, aka my religion) or Washington (favorite player... er team, aka my secret cult).

Out of the 4 I'd just be wary of Ottawa because of the owner... could be stuck in perpetual mediocrity which sucks. Other than that enjoy the ride(s)!

Quokka

Oct 17, 2012
Regina, SK
Which team is geographically closest to you? It's always nice to have the option/ability to attend the games of your favourite team.

As predominantly a fan of a Canadian team myself, I'd say the fanbases of Canadian teams are larger and probably more passionate as a whole which has its benefits as there are often more people to talk hockey with but also its draw backs as there are also more annoying fans/bad apples to deal with as well. I've personally found that Vancouver seems to have more bandwagon fans than other teams so make of that what you will. I feel for Ottawa fans for what they're going through with their owner and that situation doesn't seem like it will be resolved any time soon so if it were me, I'd stay away from choosing them as my team as a new fan coming in. However, if you do choose them given they're at the bottom of the league no one could ever accuse you of being a bandwagon fan if that's something that matters to you. In the past there has often been whispers of relocation for NYI and Florida but Florida's ownership now seems solid and with the new area for the Islanders I don't think that's a worry for either of those teams at least in the near future.

Of that group, the Islanders have probably been the best team over the past few seasons so that might be the deciding factor for me if I were choosing a team from scratch but the Panthers are having a great season and have a solid young core and the Canucks and Sens while both having tough seasons so far each have exciting young players that would be fun to cheer for. Good luck with your choice!

Reactions: Ranger Spice

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Florida or Vancouver, pretty easily. My choice would be Florida!

Islanders probably isn't a fun style for somebody new to hockey to watch. (Also I'm a Rangers fan and am biased against them)

Senators are going through a bit of a rough decade, but the future looks brighter if you don't mind being part of a bunch of losses right now.

Vancouver and Florida both seem like solid choices as a newbie; I just enjoy Florida's brand of hockey, and I think there is a lot of reason to be optimistic there.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Canucks lead the league in games played this season. One of our big selling points at the moment

Reactions: eviohh26

Crow

May 19, 2014
I would just say, don’t put a timeline on it like you plan to. If you can’t decide by the end of the year, you don’t have to. Also the playoffs may color your opinion and those aren’t all playoff teams.

I like every team on your list actually. Been to a couple islanders games in Brooklyn. Was still a good time even though their fans hate the location. Ottawa was always favorite of mine in the east. The panthers have coach Q and some talent players. Used to hate the canucks but they are a completely different team now and were very exciting to watch last year. Kind of suck this year though.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad