Favorite lesser-known enforcers?

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Jim Kyte for my hometown team.

Wasn't the best fighter but he was deaf and I thought it was cool he made it to the NHL.

Reactions: FMichael

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
People will laugh, but energy and enforcement wise Tanner Glass brought a lot to the New York Rangers when he was there.

I've the pleasure to assist some games here in Bordeaux
He just reaches the 100 PIM bar (in 29 games) lol
seems like rejuvenated :)

and u know what ? the team is named The Boxers ahah

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Joel Theriault, Jacques Dube, Louis Bedard, Manny Frechette, Kurtis Swanson, Dannick Lessard, Curtis Tidball. All exciting fighters to watch from the LNAH's heyday. I'd add Mirasty, Bosse, Sugden and Cote but they're all pretty well known.

For the NHL Darrin Kimble, Dan Kordic, Todd Ewen and Ken Baumgartner were guys I loved watching as a kid who probably weren't top ten fighters. Not really lesser known tho.

Some underrated fighters are Bob Gassoff, Battleship Kelly, Curt Fraser, Glen Cochrane, Jay Wells, Dave Richter, Jim McKenzie and Paul Laus.

Reactions: ps241 and SotasicA

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
A lot of Hawks fall in this category:

Jim Cummins was my all-time favourite. A guy who came in to the Hawks being a nobody. Struggled to stay in the league. A working class hero. He was reckless and lost a lot, but always delivered an entertaining bout and made sure to hurt the other guy. He ate up a bunch to get in one lick. And he looked like Roman Reigns. A rugged handsome man for a teenage boy to look up to. That old time helmet was awesome too.

388290.jpg

He had some of the most entertaining fights ever.

Cam Russell was the same, but an even worse at defending himself. He lost a bunch, but he was a young gun at the time and I liked his effort. That meant a lot to me. He knew he was gonna get beat, but he never hesitated to defend a teammate. That to me is better than being a super huge roided up beast who was just kicking ass and taking names. Those guys had no REASON to fear anyone. They weren't as heroic, if you get my drift. Also, I somehow always appreciated enforcers who played the d-position.

Speaking of which, there's two more coming...

I LOVED David Koci's short stint as a Blackhawk. Just a wrecking ball out there. And a decent fighter, not the best, but better than the two stated above.

Speaking of reckless and insane, Enrico Ciccone. He was hell on skates and caused mayhem everywhere, including the stands. Pretty frustrating to watch as a player, but entertaining as f***. Was the league PIM leader one season.

Mike Peluso also lead the league in PIMs as a Hawk back when I first started watching, but I don't necessarily think he belongs in this thread. He was super popular and famous and fought everyone and everybody ranks him quite high, I think. Just thought I'd mention him because he fits the narrative.

My more recent favourites include Ryan Vandenbussche and Scott Daniels. Vandy maybe doesn't belong here, for reasons similar to Peluso's, but he was just an entertaining fighter. Daniels never played for the Hawks but he brought that working class ethos that I could not resist, just watching his games. He was not as tough as his teammate in Philly Dan Kordic, but I vastly preferred the crazy (and able in his own right) Daniels. He'd take on all the heavies. And I think that fourth line, the Dan line, was great for the Flyers: Scott Daniels - Daniel Lacroix - Dan Kordic. I remember looking forward to seeing the Flyers play the Canadiens, and I WASN'T EVEN A FAN OF EITHER TEAM, just because I knew the Dan-line would match up against the Habs' Darcy Tucker - Scott Thornton - Turner Stevenson line, which also included a couple of my favourite players (especially Turner Stevenson).

Daniels' career was short-lived, but he still is one of my favourite Whalers and that season he had with the Flyers made me a fan even more.

I know I name-dropped so many players already that I should stop now.

Reactions: vandymeer13

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Darrin Kimble,
Yes! Super entertaining fighter. No defense to be seen when Kimble got going.

Aren't these three rather well-known?
Definitely. Oliwa was a top 10 heavy in the league at one point. And the other 2 are legends of hockey and Stanley Cup champions.

Most 90´s Flames fans, me included, loved them some Sandy McCarthy!
Doesn't belong in this thread. He was the heavyweight champ and the guy to beat in 1993-94. He was on an insane run that season and everybody knows Sandy beat Probert.

Daniel Lacroix was a surprisingly decent middle weight who could take on heavies.

Rick Rypien (rest his soul) was also an excellent lesser known fighter.
Agreed on both.

Jim Kyte for my hometown team.
Kyte's a legend. One of the best ever. Doesn't belong.

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

Jim Cummins was my all-time favourite. A guy who came in to the Hawks being a nobody. Struggled to stay in the league. A working class hero. He was reckless and lost a lot, but always delivered an entertaining bout and made sure to hurt the other guy. He ate up a bunch to get in one lick. And he looked like Roman Reigns. A rugged handsome man for a teenage boy to look up to. That old time helmet was awesome too.

388290.jpg

Cam Russell was the same, but an even worse at defending himself. He lost a bunch, but he was a young gun at the time and I liked his effort. That meant a lot to me. He knew he was gonna get beat, but he never hesitated to defend a teammate. That to me is better than being a super huge roided up beast who was just kicking ass and taking names. Those guys had no REASON to fear anyone. They weren't as heroic, if you get my drift. Also, I somehow always appreciated enforcers who played the d-position.

I LOVED David Koci's short stint as a Blackhawk. Just a wrecking ball out there. And a decent fighter, not the best, but better than the two stated above.

Speaking of reckless and insane, Enrico Ciccone. He was hell on skates and caused mayhem everywhere, including the stands. Pretty frustrating to watch as a player, but entertaining as ****. Was the league PIM leader one season.

Mike Peluso also lead the league in PIMs as a Hawk back when I first started watching, but I don't necessarily think he belongs in this thread. He was super popular and famous and fought everyone and everybody ranks him quite high, I think. Just thought I'd mention him because he fits the narrative.

My more recent favourites include Ryan Vandenbussche and Scott Daniels. Vandy maybe doesn't belong here, for reasons similar to Peluso's, but he was just an entertaining fighter. Daniels never played for the Hawks but he brought that working class ethos that I could not resist, just watching his games. He was not as tough as his teammate in Philly Dan Kordic, but I vastly preferred the crazy (and able in his own right) Daniels. He'd take on all the heavies. And I think that fourth line, the Dan line, was great for the Flyers: Scott Daniels - Daniel Lacroix - Dan Kordic. I remember looking forward to seeing the Flyers play the Canadiens, and I WASN'T EVEN A FAN OF EITHER TEAM, just because I knew the Dan-line would match up against the Habs' Darcy Tucker - Scott Thornton - Turner Stevenson line, which also included a couple of my favourite players (especially Turner Stevenson).

Daniels' career was short-lived, but he still is one of my favourite Whalers and that season he had with the Flyers made me a fan even more.

Nice list. I especially loved Vandenbussche, Cummins and Daniels. Really entertaining fighters, shouldve put them on my list. Ciccone was nut, entertaining to watch like you said. Koci was a beast, loved watching him in the AHL. I almost forgot about Turner Stevenson. Loved him and Thornton both. Really good light heavyweights. Another guy who was more of a light heavy but would sometimes go with heavyweights was Grant Marshall. Shayne Corson too.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Paul Higgins played 25 games with the Leafs 0 goal and 0 assist 151 PM in Toronto 81-83. The fans would chant Higgins, Higgins it was classic. Motor City Smitty was a tough customer as well.

Reactions: RumpleSnipeSkin

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
My ever lasting memory of him is him desperately trying to shake his elbow pad off while the other guy is pounding him in the head.
He was also involved in PL3's signature bout:

And in fact, Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond is another worthy addition to this thread. He had very entertaining fights in the NHL, though it was towards the twilight of the enforcer era and thus against weaker opposition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finster8

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting tidbit.

Out of the town of meadow Lake Saskatchewan (population 5000) in one stretch of 4 years it produced DJ King 1984 (really nice fighter), Jon Mirasty 1982, and Jeremy Yabonski 1980.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

388290.jpg

Speaking of reckless and insane, Enrico Ciccone. He was hell on skates and caused mayhem everywhere, including the stands. Pretty frustrating to watch as a player, but entertaining as ****. Was the league PIM leader one season.

Hell of a list of really gutsy fighters. That was crazy era with so much fighting. Feels like all these Hawks were Keith Magnuson clons......incredibly brave, do anything for a teammate, fearless fighters with no defense.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Here's another nod for John Erskine. He was exactly what the Buffalo Sabres needed for dealing with Milan Lucic. Going back a few decades, the Sabres had d-men who could/would have handily dealt with someone like Lucic: Jim Schoenfeld and Jerry Korab.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
fond memory of watching hockey in the mid 70's with my dad was when he'd get very excited whenever Stan Jonathan mixed it up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->