Steven Fletcher
Mike Stothers
Val James
Dan Kordic
Clayton Norris

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Nick Fotiu? He was before my time but i saw a bunch of clips of him throwing down. Guy looked like an absolute lunatic...

I also really liked Doug Doull. He lost more than he won, but he was fun to watch.

Reactions: Villella McMeans

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
- The Roberge brothers
- Bob "Battleship" Kelly
- Paul Kruse
- Alek Stojanov (although his name is recognized due to the lopsided trade)
- Ken Belanger
- Kyle Freadrich
- Dennis Bonvie
- Frank Bialowas
- Francois Leroux
- Kyle Neuber
- Jeff Kugel

Reactions: Hockeypete49

Mike Martin

Nov 1, 2013
Lyndon Byers
Todd Ewen
Cam Russell (arguably not a true Enforcer but his fight card was pretty solid, he took on nearly all of the significant heavyweights in a tough era and to me it doesn't matter that he lost the majority of these fights, he had guts)

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Ryan Vandenbussche favorite all time. I really liked Jim Vandermeer as well. Others not widely known
Joel Rechlicz very entertaining
Trevor Gillies because I know him.
Jon Mirasty Jermey Yablonski same as wrecker
Kevin Sawyer and Paul Laus. Are two others when I started watching hockey who I liked.
Known enforcers
Bob Probert Stu Grimson Derek Boogard Colton Orr Brian McGrattan.
Guys I hated
Donald Brashear Aaron Downey Chris Simon Dale Puriton Andrew Peters. Early Stortini pretty much guys like him in the beginning who hugged and not throw.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Don't know if Jeff Odgers is an unknown, but he was onebof my favorites. Stood up for everyone and worked his ass off on teams that were terrible in San Jose. Was also part of the culture change when they got better. Could play a bit of hockey, too.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Manny Frechette, Joel Theriault, Mark Major, Jamie Huscroft, Bill Hurard, Steve Bosse, Frank Bialowas, Jesse Rezansoff,Brendan Walsh,Bill Armstrong,Brett Scheffelmaier

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
I forgot the Gallant brothers it's a shame hockey has changed for the worse so quickly because both should be in the Nhl and Brett would be the champ. He would be labeled as the next Joey Kocur just a absolute beasts especially for a small guy. :yo:

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Don't know if Jeff Odgers is an unknown, but he was onebof my favorites. Stood up for everyone and worked his ass off on teams that were terrible in San Jose. Was also part of the culture change when they got better. Could play a bit of hockey, too.

I liked him too. One of those middleweight guys who often punched above his weight. Always gave 110% too.

Ian Laperrière was a lot like that too.

Always liked Scott Walker, Ronnie Stern, David Bruce and Jim Agnew as well.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I liked him too. One of those middleweight guys who often punched above his weight. Always gave 110% too.

Ian Laperrière was a lot like that too.

Always liked Scott Walker, Ronnie Stern, David Bruce and Jim Agnew as well.

Jeff was an interesting case. Apparently as urban legend would have it Kevin Cheveldayoff heavily lobbied the Brandon Wheat Kings to give Jeff Odgers a chance. They new each other growing up in Saskatchewan. I guess his skating and skills were really.....er......raw.....but he had the heart of a lion and was tough as nails. They formed a pretty tough one two punch in Brandon for about four seasons in an era when fighting was more prevalent. Jeff's game came a long way over the years as well.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
- Dennis Bonvie

Mostly remember him from the old EA games when one downloaded a custom roster and his overall was hiked up to a 88 without the skills being improved over a 70 OA level :D

Just so that he would automatically be out with Lemieux... In simulation he would have maybe 15 points over 80 or so games playing on the top line!

Good times.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
One of the NHL's greatest scoring wingers was also an enforcer back in the day when teams didn't carry such role players:

Earlier this year Stan Fischler profiled the top-9 toughest Rangers of all time and included was HHOF right winger...

Bill Cook

pin_cookbill01.jpg

Cook was part of the bloodiest battles of World War I, and when the war ended he volunteered to fight for two extra years against the Bolsheviks in Russia. He went on to become the first Rangers captain ever and led the team with the 'C'; on his jersey for 11 seasons, considered the team's leader and policeman and "the most intense" player. Cook was considered by Leafs HHOF pivot Joe Primeau as the toughest player in the NHL. He and Bruins captain and defenseman Lionel Hitchman have been described as guys who stepped in when there was a dispute and no one wanted to fight them. A generation or two later, the aura of Gordie Howe was compared to the pair of them. Remember: enforcer does NOT mean fighter. If you grew up in the era of Semenko and Probert (or their shadow) you can be forgiven for mixing up the two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad