Favorite Leaf so far this year?

Who is your favorite Leaf so far this year?

• Total voters

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada
Thought it would be fun to create a poll about who everyone's favorite Leaf is. I realize that some choices have been left out, but I think that I've included most of the obvious ones. So tell us who, and why is your choice your fav..

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Kapanen.

He has brought it almost every night and brings maybe the best combo of speed and intensity on the team.

I know a lot of people believed in his abilities but I would wager he's massively surpassed many peoples expectations.

He looks like a player that will be a excellent insulation piece to our core and important if we want to win 4 rounds of playoff hockey.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Matthews, he’s just in a whole different stratosphere when he’s at his best. Marner has been lights out but Matthews is just a beast at scoring.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
This year? Been enjoying Marner quite a lot. He makes me laugh and he's one of the best wingers in the NHL. Matthews a close second even though I know he's the better player overall. It's just awesome seeing a guy like Marner having the success he's having.

Reactions: Optomist

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
My favourite leafs are the ones that aren’t RFA’s at the end of the season. This summer is going to suck.

Kapanen looks fantastic however and I’m super impressed by his progress.

Also Gardiner has been low key great so far this season.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Funny, I don't really have one.

I'd have to say honourable mention to Kapanen because he's proven himself so far, and there wasn't a lot of love for him here.

I had expectations from others that have held up.

Defense as expected.
Forwards as expected.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
This is tough...
  • Mitch is in beast mode!
  • Matthews, when fit, is on fire!
  • Tavares playing great hockey
  • Rielly is the new Karlsson
  • Kappy/Johnsson are new top 6 players

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
This is tough...
  • Mitch is in beast mode!
  • Matthews, when fit, is on fire!
  • Tavares playing great hockey
  • Rielly is the new Karlsson
  • Kappy/Johnsson are new top 6 players

If Rielly keeps up this play (or gets anywhere around ppg), I firmly believe that this season will be better than any Karlsson has put up. Rielly is on pace for a significantly higher point total (he'll likely drop at least a bit, but can definitely still hit ~ppg) than Karlsson's best season and he plays a much better defensive game.

In the 21st century, only 3 dmen have touched ppg or better seasons. Mike Green (×2), Karlsson, and Lidstrom.

Marner, Matthews, and Tavares have been amazing, but Rielly's season so far is unfathomable IMO (coming from somebody who expected an improvement from Rielly after last year). He puts up ppg and I think its in talks for being a top 5 season by a defenseman in the 21st century. That is not something that Matthews/Marner/Tavares will be in talks for (among forwards) despite being fantastic.

Edit: I realize this is just about favourite Leaf and not best season, but this is why Rielly has been my favourite Leaf to watch this year. Helps that he was already my fsvourite player heading into this year too!

Also, can we all please learn how to properly spell Rielly's name please (Im looking st you OP).

Reactions: Optomist

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Kap should be an option.
He reminds me of Siakam on the Raptors.
Both players having expected breakout seasons and have gotten the respect/attention from other teams around the league. They have all the tools and are both the fastest players on their respective teams.

My vote goes to Marner though.
He's been a top 3-5 NHL player this season.

Reactions: Pookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad