Favorite Hockey people and Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I figured that since the game was going to start again and there ahs been so much negative stuff lately starting a favorite Hockey People thread would be cool.

Here are mine

Don Cherry-To me he is awesome and not only because he loves the fights and the physical play as much as I do and doesnt hide it, You can tell that he loves and cares for the game. He knows much more about the game tham most think and I would love to sit in his bar and have a couple of cold ones with him and just let him tell stories of what he has seen in his life in hockey.

Herb Brooks-In know some people think he was too much of a Hardass and maybe he was, but after he coached the 80 USA Olympic Hockey team to gold he didnt go looking for fanfare for the most part he stuck to doing what he loved and that was coaching hockey and he was damn good at it and he clearly loved the game and I miss him coming from a fans point of view.

Ron Caron-Longtime Hockey man who was GM of my beloved Blues a couple of times. He had to make some unpopular trades in his time because of Budget concerns but he did what he ahd to do and Kept them competative and in STL. And in his best trade he brought a chubby Blond haired kid with not much more than a famous last name into town and the kid turned into a Superstar and turned a whole new generation of fans in STL onto hockey.

On a related note the last time the Blues actually had a training camp I got to watch an entire scrimmage game with Caron who just sat behing us inthe Arena and he told a ton of great stories and seemed like a really cool dude. He has had some heath issues recently and I hope he feels better now.

Jim Woodcock-Unless you are a Blues fan you probably have now Idea who this is but he was until recently the head of Marketing for the team and the Blues themselfes were marketed great on his watch and the marketing dept won several Awards on his watch and the league would have been smart to snatch this guy up he knows what he is doing and most importantly is a Big time fan of the sport as well.

Barry Melrose- He takes a lot of flack but he loves the game and knows it wel he just worked for ESPN and that held him back a lot at the end. ESPN Cared less and less as the years went by and he did the best he could with a bad situation.

Jean Beliveau Gros Bill is to this day the classiest player to ever play the game. He could calm down fiery temperaments like the Rocket, connect and teach the rookies when they came to the team, and bridge the gap between players and management. He always had time for fans or media whether at the rink or in a bookstore somewhere in Montreal.

Grant Fuhr possibly the nicest NHLer I've ever met, but what sticks with me was his laid back attitude. A shot from the point could bounce of two skates and shingyard, hit the post and go in and he'd come to the bench and say "Sorry guys, shoulda had that one." No throwing his arms up proclaiming to the world that he didn't see it. Just a humble guy, very down to earth.

Bob Johnson genuinely passionate about hockey he lived and breathed the sport. Loved being the underdog and he was a fantastic motivator who got a lot out of his players because they respected him. Every day was a great day for hockey.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Grant Fuhr possibly the nicest NHLer I've ever met, but what sticks with me was his laid back attitude. A shot from the point could bounce of two skates and shingyard, hit the post and go in and he'd come to the bench and say "Sorry guys, shoulda had that one." No throwing his arms up proclaiming to the world that he didn't see it. Just a humble guy, very down to earth.

Yeah true very laid back guy who may have let in the odd shoit he should have stopped. But when he was in a close game there were few who were as good in the history of the game.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Jean Beliveau, imo, is in a league of his own. I'm not a star struck type of guy, and celebrity doesn't do much for me. That being said,if I was going to meet Le Gros Bill, I'd check my hair and teethe in the mirror and ask my wife if I was dressed ok. I'm in awe of few people but I am of him.

Larry Robinson to me has always exuded class and honesty. Always been one of my favorite people around the game. Like many players, you hear personal stories about someone he helped out, from a friend of a friend, but Robinson seems to live that way. One of the guys I love to hear interviewd because you know you'll get an honest opinion.

I've always been a Steve Shutt fan, because I like quick witted smart asses, and I mean that respectfully. He speaks well about the game, and enjoys himself while he's at it.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'll go with personalities that I like, rather than straight players.
*Jean Beliveau. Considered by many to be the greatest leader in the history of the game. Consensus classiest player to ever play the game. Class off the ice matched only by skill and grace on the ice. He is so classy that he was considered for the Canadian governor general's job in the mid-1990s. Considering the job that Adrienne Clarkson has done, I think we should have gone with Jean.
*Phil Esposito. One of hockey's all-time great characters. He brought intensity on the ice, leadership off the ice, and while not the class act that Beliveau was, Espo did things his way.
*Jim McKenzie. This one's a homer pick. I've had the pleasure of meeting McKenzie three times, and each time I've talked to him, I've realized why he's one of the most articulate players in the league, and one of the most respected minds in the league. Even though he plays an enforcer's role, he's been a media darling everywhere he's gone. He was part of Brendan Shanahan's summit in December. Will be a leader in the game for years to come.
*Brendan Shanahan. Always quotable and approachable, affable and outgoing. He's another guy destined to be a leader in the game for years after he retires. Showed great leadership in organizing his summit in December.

These are just a few of them. There are more I could list, but this is a start.

Air

Aug 4, 2004
Hamilton
icethis.blogspot.com
There are more, but the one that sticks out in my mind is John Buccigross. The guy just doesn't care about the details about the CBA or the business side of things, blah blah blah -- he has a genuine enthusiasm and love for hockey that's apparent in his columns, the way he speaks. Especially that column with all the fan mail telling him why they loved hockey right after the lockout -- and he's not even Canadian.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Paul Henderson. Met him twice. Great guy to meet. Seems to have a really good head on his shoulders.

Don Cherry. Not as bombastic as you think when you meet him. But great guy

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Good to see more love for Grapes. I left off players but I have a few to add to my list.

Rick Zombo-In the Early or mid 90's when he played for the Blues, Brendan Shanahan had a charity softball game in the summer and I took my cousin to it once he was 8 or 9 at the time and after the game he wanted to get autographs. when he went up to the fence where the players were he was haveing trouble getting to some of the players because of the crowd and when Zombo saw this he took his hat he had to get signed by the players and got all the players to sign it for him. that was a classy move and I will not forget it.

Grant Fuhr-He has already been mentioned a couple of times and I have to say when I met him he was a great guy as well.

Dave Semenko- He came into a family member of mine's bar in STL 2 years ago while he was scouting for the Oilers and I got to rap with him a bit and he was very cool and it was especially cool for me because I like the enforcers.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
c-carp said:
Good to see more love for Grapes. I left off players but I have a few to add to my list.

Rick Zombo-In the Early or mid 90's when he played for the Blues, Brendan Shanahan had a charity softball game in the summer and I took my cousin to it once he was 8 or 9 at the time and after the game he wanted to get autographs. when he went up to the fence where the players were he was haveing trouble getting to some of the players because of the crowd and when Zombo saw this he took his hat he had to get signed by the players and got all the players to sign it for him. that was a classy move and I will not forget it.

Grant Fuhr-He has already been mentioned a couple of times and I have to say when I met him he was a great guy as well.

Dave Semenko- He came into a family member of mine's bar in STL 2 years ago while he was scouting for the Oilers and I got to rap with him a bit and he was very cool and it was especially cool for me because I like the enforcers.[/QUOTE]

I never would have guessed!!! ;)

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I met and briefly chatted with Jean Ratelle way back in 1980. He was just as classy off ice as his playing style was on the ice.

With a bunch of hockey mad kids swarming, he was patient, kind, and warm natured.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I've gotten to know so many players, I don't know how to narrow them down.

Jean Beliveau is all everyone says he is. One of things not generally known was Beliveau's help in the fight for the pension fund fight.

The fight vs the NHL and was very costly and there were various fundraisers held and calls made to various alumni for contributions. When the group went to the Montreal Alumni and gave their presentation, the Montreal alumni voted to contribute a certain amount to the cause. Beliveau then stood up and suggested a much higher figure for the cause as this group was representing the Montreal Canadiens and that meant they had to uphold the great tradition of class.

Frank Mahovlich is someone that always is concerned about others and is great to be with.

Johnny Bower is such a down to earth fun guy who is always laughing. I could list many more players. I do want to mention Rick Smith of the Bruins as a super nice guy. Rick was one of the first to offer his personal funds for help in the fight for the pension money. Some players refused to help at all.

Most people won't know of Ivan 'the terrible' Irvin who played with the Rangers in the late 50's. Irvin also offered money for the fight knowing that he wasn't even eligible to receive any benefits if the lawsuit was won. That shows the class he has. He's also one of the friendliest people you could talk to. And this fellow was one of the toughest and best fighters ever to play in the NHL. He also had the largest hands I've ever seen.

Someone mentioned Roger Neilson and I had the pleasure of being introduced to Roger during the HHOF induction weekend. He was genuinely nice. Not too many people say anything bad about Roger. I never did like Roger Neilson as a coach (I loathed goon coaches) and I think his reputation as an 'innovator' was much overrated but there was a man who was thought of very highly by his peers.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
A few of the people I genuinally like:

Larry Robinson
Daryl Sittler
Lanny MacDonald
Tie Domi
Don Cherry
Saku Koivu
John Davidson
Tom Fergus
Bob Johnson
Don Meehan
Steve Yzerman
Brendan Shanahan
Rick Tabbarraci
Andrew Cassels
Glen Featherstone
Kirk Muller
Mike Komisarek
Francois Bouillon

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Someone mentioned Roger Neilson and I had the pleasure of being introduced to Roger during the HHOF induction weekend. He was genuinely nice. Not too many people say anything bad about Roger. I never did like Roger Neilson as a coach (I loathed goon coaches) and I think his reputation as an 'innovator' was much overrated but there was a man who was thought of very highly by his peers.
CH: I won't get into Neilson's coaching abilities. Wrong thread for that. But having talked with him at length, he had an amazing knowledge of hockey history and probably should have written a book on the evolution of the game. Of particular interest to you, he attributes Toronto's dynasty in the forties to Hap Day's revolutionary tactics of the period.

But as far as being a good person, he volunteered in my cousin's son's youth hockey camp every year for several years up until his death. My cousin actually cried when she heard the news, and she wasn't the only hockey parent who did. He left an indelible impression.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Favorite hockey people.

For some reason the first people who come to mind are announcers from over the years.

Mike Lange - his unique style, wit and sense of fairplay was great to listen to for many years on the radio. He made me into a Pens fan.

Danny Gallivan-grew up listening to him call a game; great passion and knowledge of the game.

Foster Hewitt-a class gentleman and great announcer

Rene Lecavalier-the best hockey media voice I have heard.

Brian Burke-love his tell it like it is style.

Jean Beliveau-a real gentleman and tells some great stories about the game

Red Storey-the best story teller about the game of hockey

Vladislav Tretiak-wish he could have gotten a chance to play in the NHL

Ken Dryden-always enjoy listening to him talk about the game

lots of others, too many to list all of them.

Now an assistant coach with the Rangers, and previously an assistant in Ottawa I don't think I learned more about hockey than I did from Perry Pearn. He used to run the NAIT hockey school in Edmonton in the summers, and later ran a 3-on-3 tournament as off-season conditioning for older players.

He knew so much about the game you couldn't tell what position he once played. A great many coaches can identify with forwards or d-men but haven't got a clue how to design drills for goaltenders, or vice versa. Looking back now every drill I ever did with Perry worked for all positions and despite the repitition was never boring. He spoke to 11 and 12 year olds like they were adults and if you did something wrong he'd take the time to correct it; and rather than just tell you to do better, he'd show you how to.

The man was born to coach and was a great guy to talk to as well.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Roger Neilson treated everyone well. I remember emailing him asking a question. Most people don't respond to people they don't know but Roger did. Here is one of the emails from Roger:
----
The only footage that I have from Leaf days is a very poor quality tape of me returning behind the bench after Harold fired me. Contact me anytime. Good luck, Roger

moneyp said:
CH: I won't get into Neilson's coaching abilities. Wrong thread for that. But having talked with him at length, he had an amazing knowledge of hockey history and probably should have written a book on the evolution of the game. Of particular interest to you, he attributes Toronto's dynasty in the forties to Hap Day's revolutionary tactics of the period.

But as far as being a good person, he volunteered in my cousin's son's youth hockey camp every year for several years up until his death. My cousin actually cried when she heard the news, and she wasn't the only hockey parent who did. He left an indelible impression.

chooch*

Psycho Joe said:
A few of the people I genuinally like:

Larry Robinson
Daryl Sittler
Lanny MacDonald
Tie Domi
Don Cherry
Saku Koivu
John Davidson
Tom Fergus
Bob Johnson
Don Meehan
Steve Yzerman
Brendan Shanahan
Rick Tabbarraci
Andrew Cassels
Glen Featherstone
Kirk Muller
Mike Komisarek
Francois Bouillon

Dick Irvin Jr and Red Fisher. Michey Redmond and Jim Hughson (the Next One)

Ogopogo*

What a player is like off the ice is as important as what he does on the ice. I look at styles of play, type of person, and there are always intangibles that are hard to explain.

1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Doug Weight
3. Phil Esposito
4. Jari Kurri
5. Ron MacLean
6. Chris Cuthbert
7. Bill Ranford
8. Walter Gretzky

JonathanK

McOptimistic
Aug 1, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Don Cherry- he's the man, even though he only played 1 NHL game, in which he got 0 points and 2 penalty minutes. He was a great coach though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->