Favorite Flyers Coaches in First Fifty Seasons

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Shero, Keenan, Quinn, Laviolette, Neilson.

If we were voting for best instead of likability, Hitchcock would replace Neilson. But Hitch is annoying and Neilson was extremely likable.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Hitch had a good run but he annoyed me. Lost Justin Williams because of the dude....
I always liked Hitch
if Desjardins hadn't played catch with his son that fateful day, Hitch would probably have won a Cup here...

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I'm surprised how Pat Quinn got off to such a great start in the Poll... and then all of a sudden pretty much flat-lined.

Almost seems like people jumped on Shero and Keenen and they took all the old fart votes away from Quinn. Pat was a great Head Coach who IIRC was caught up in some internal friction led by McCammon. Wasn't he fired late in his 4th Season or so with a winning record -- on St Patrick's Day no less -- and possibly with the Team in Fist Place? I may be wrong on the Team's standing, though.

He led the Team through the 35 Game unbeaten streak... and I firmly believe in my heart that had Leon Stickle not blown that OffSide Call in 1980, Pat would have had a Stanley Cup on his resume... He did win an Adam Trophy Award. He ended his Career after endearing himself to quite a few Organizations in the NHL... and was elected to the HHoF for his Coaching and Managing.

I firmly have him in my Top Three Flyers Coaches... nipping at Iron Mike's heels.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I'm surprised how Pat Quinn got off to such a great start in the Poll... and then all of a sudden pretty much flat-lined.

Almost seems like people jumped on Shero and Keenen and they took all the old fart votes away from Quinn. Pat was a great Head Coach who IIRC was caught up in some internal friction led by McCammon. Wasn't he fired late in his 4th Season or so with a winning record -- on St Patrick's Day no less -- and possibly with the Team in Fist Place? I may be wrong on the Team's standing, though.

He led the Team through the 35 Game unbeaten streak... and I firmly believe in my heart that had Leon Stickle not blown that OffSide Call in 1980, Pat would have had a Stanley Cup on his resume... He did win an Adam Trophy Award. He ended his Career after endearing himself to quite a few Organizations in the NHL... and was elected to the HHoF for his Coaching and Managing.

I firmly have him in my Top Three Flyers Coaches... nipping at Iron Mike's heels.

Bob McCammon and Pat Quinn (Larry Hillman, ex-Flyers' player, coach of Winnipeg in WHA) were the finalists for the Flyers' head coaching job after Fred Shero took the Rangers' post. McCammon got the Flyers' job and Quinn (Flyers' one-year assistant at the time) was sent down to the AHL to get more seasoning behind the bench. After a few months into that season, McCammon, still green at the NHL level and with a team not firing on all cylinders, was demoted to the AHL while Quinn was promoted.

McCammon was a favorite of Ed Snider. He had the hockey acumen -- many of the Mike Keenan players were on the team due to McCammon's management team -- however, he never seemed to develop ideal relationships with many players. Quinn, just the opposite, was a player's coach, guys would go thrugh brick walls for him. The Flyers eventually got rid of Quinn with eight games remaining in the 1981-82 regular season because the team struggled especially against the Rangers, who were the eventual first round opponent. McCammon the manager was much better then McCammon the coach, is a recurring theme.

Quinn had a patchwork defense. The injuries were something phenomenal. He didn't exactly have too many all-stars back there either. That is what cost him his gig, unfairly. The backline was eventually redone with the likes of Mark Howe, Brad McCrimmon, Doug Crossman and Brad Marsh all through trades.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Bob McCammon and Pat Quinn (Larry Hillman, ex-Flyers' player, coach of Winnipeg in WHA) were the finalists for the Flyers' head coaching job after Fred Shero took the Rangers' post. McCammon got the Flyers' job and Quinn (Flyers' one-year assistant at the time) was sent down to the AHL to get more seasoning behind the bench. After a few months into that season, McCammon, still green at the NHL level and with a team not firing on all cylinders, was demoted to the AHL while Quinn was promoted.

McCammon was a favorite of Ed Snider. He had the hockey acumen -- many of the Mike Keenan players were on the team due to McCammon's management team -- however, he never seemed to develop ideal relationships with many players. Quinn, just the opposite, was a player's coach, guys would go thrugh brick walls for him. The Flyers eventually got rid of Quinn with eight games remaining in the 1981-82 regular season because the team struggled especially against the Rangers, who were the eventual first round opponent. McCammon the manager was much better then McCammon the coach, is a recurring theme.

Quinn had a patchwork defense. The injuries were something phenomenal. He didn't exactly have too many all-stars back there either. That is what cost him his gig, unfairly. The backline was eventually redone with the likes of Mark Howe, Brad McCrimmon, Doug Crossman and Brad Marsh all through trades.

Thanks, MSE... it was a Soap Opera time in the Organization, after the security and success of Freddy... I remember the flip-flopping of Coaches between the Flyers and their AHL affiliate; I always felt like there was a power struggle in the works... and imagined there was backbiting going on... Right or wrong, I always felt that McCammon ambitious and had big plans... and, being a Quinn guy, I felt like Pat was getting the shaft at the expense of McCammon... I felt that Pat was being shoved out with Bob being the impetus. Quinn getting the ax after winning the Adams and still having a winning record ... and the Season almost over... to me seemed just wrong.

Hearing that backstory again refreshes my memory some... and was very helpful... They Flyers after the Shero Era and two Cup and three straight Finals, and beating the Soviets, were indeed a Team that demanded results... Winning record or not, they wanted another Cup or at least a long run... at all cost; Quinn was a victim.

All in all, Pat had a fine career in the NHL... even after getting shafted... Maybe the Flyers helped him in getting the lay of the land set in his great hockey mind of his.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Thanks, MSE... it was a Soap Opera time in the Organization, after the security and success of Freddy... I remember the flip-flopping of Coaches between the Flyers and their AHL affiliate; I always felt like there was a power struggle in the works... and imagined there was backbiting going on... Right or wrong, I always felt that McCammon ambitious and had big plans... and, being a Quinn guy, I felt like Pat was getting the shaft at the expense of McCammon... I felt that Pat was being shoved out with Bob being the impetus. Quinn getting the ax after winning the Adams and still having a winning record ... and the Season almost over... to me seemed just wrong.

Hearing that backstory again refreshes my memory some... and was very helpful... They Flyers after the Shero Era and two Cup and three straight Finals, and beating the Soviets, were indeed a Team that demanded results... Winning record or not, they wanted another Cup or at least a long run... at all cost; Quinn was a victim.

All in all, Pat had a fine career in the NHL... even after getting shafted... Maybe the Flyers helped him in getting the lay of the land set in his great hockey mind of his.

A couple of quotes from players (young Ilkka Sinisalo and veteran Reggie Leach) at the time (and others stated similarly) in their preference for Quinn over McCammon. Of course, not many enjoyed playing for Mike Keenan but the team had far more success under his coaching than McCammon.

"Quinn and McCammon were both good coaches, but I have to say I enjoyed playing for McCammon the least of all my Flyers coaches," says Sinisalo. "I never got to play much for Quinn, but he was more of a player's coach." (source: Flyers)

Freddie was OK, recalled Leach. Pat was the guy who could figure me out and Clarkie knew what I could do when I wanted to do it. McCammon probably was the worst coach I ever had, was never on the ice at practice. (source: CSNPhilly)

GM Keith Allen made many tremendous trades, not only in the Bullies' Era but also to revamp the defense as mentioned in part above. The Flyers gave Allen another position to satisfy McCammon (at the time coach/ass't GM), entering what would be his final year, in that he had an opportunity to depart and go to Pittsburgh.

How ineffectively McCammon handled the public relations fallout of the Paul Holmgren trade and telling Bobby Clarke to vacation in Florida and not play hockey, was tantamount to a treasonous act. He also wanted Darryl Sittler and Bill Barber to rest during the regular season for the playoffs. It was genuinely met with skepticism. It was his way to show the team that HE was in charge especially after he was demoted following his first tenure because the team lacked discipline something that was another reason why Quinn was canned. In his first go-around, McCammon was a deer in the headlights, surpassed only by perhaps Wayne Cashman's stay as head coach. But in his second stint, he gambled and failed in the end because he will eventually be remembered for a 1-9 playoff mark over three seasons with three better-than-average teams. The ultimatum of being a coach or GM but not both didn't suit his desires and as such the team released him. The "Bob Must Go" chants in his last game still echo. That led to Bobby Clarke the GM and Mike Keenen the Head Coach and the popular teams of the mid-1980s.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
My favorite coach of the Flyers all time has to be Fred Shero, followed closely by Lavy and then Keenan.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
A couple of quotes from players (young Ilkka Sinisalo and veteran Reggie Leach) at the time (and others stated similarly) in their preference for Quinn over McCammon. Of course, not many enjoyed playing for Mike Keenan but the team had far more success under his coaching than McCammon.

GM Keith Allen made many tremendous trades, not only in the Bullies' Era but also to revamp the defense as mentioned in part above. The Flyers gave Allen another position to satisfy McCammon (at the time coach/ass't GM), entering what would be his final year, in that he had an opportunity to depart and go to Pittsburgh.

How ineffectively McCammon handled the public relations fallout of the Paul Holmgren trade and telling Bobby Clarke to vacation in Florida and not play hockey, was tantamount to a treasonous act. He also wanted Darryl Sittler and Bill Barber to rest during the regular season for the playoffs. It was genuinely met with skepticism. It was his way to show the team that HE was in charge especially after he was demoted following his first tenure because the team lacked discipline something that was another reason why Quinn was canned. In his first go-around, McCammon was a deer in the headlights, surpassed only by perhaps Wayne Cashman's stay as head coach. But in his second stint, he gambled and failed in the end because he will eventually be remembered for a 1-9 playoff mark over three seasons with three better-than-average teams. The ultimatum of being a coach or GM but not both didn't suit his desires and as such the team released him. The "Bob Must Go" chants in his last game still echo. That led to Bobby Clarke the GM and Mike Keenen the Head Coach and the popular teams of the mid-1980s.

Yeah... the shoving out of Allen to install McCammon probably was the final straw in my detesting McCammon... The details were vague before reading them again -- thanks once again, MSE -- but reading them brings back the pain... My soar feelings were not overblown it seems... the power struggle was a fact.

After the smooth sailing the Flyers had, and comfort and enjoyment we Fans had... it felt like McCammon sucked the life out of the Organization, and what was once a charmed Team was transitioned into one that had to re-group without Keith the Thief at the forefront.

Clarke leaving the Ice to take the helm was bittersweet... our hero no longer no longer toiling and willing the Team to great things... but now rescuing it from McCammon... Keith was no longer the GM, but it was apparent that he was the mentor and was teaching Bob Clarke and directing him in the proper manner to get the Organization back on track.

... The Flyers' Family atmosphere seemed to get back in swing with Clarkie... and actually became strongest aspect of the Organization going forward.

I will never forgive Bob McCammon for what he did to the Team... Thankfully it lasted for only a brief period of time.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I loved lavi. Loved his passion and risk taking. Unfortunately we did not have the d to make his system work. We had it for one year with pronger and timmonen. Glad to see him doing well in Nashville.

I would take Lavi back in a heart beat. The core loved him and he could do wonders with all the dmen coming up.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I would take Lavi back in a heart beat. The core loved him and he could do wonders with all the dmen coming up.

6c8b24effd587e1bfbab5e02bd016632.jpg

IMO... One of the main reasons Lavi has so many votes in this Poll... and will always be loved by the Fans who've lived through his tenure with the O&B. :yo:

EDIT: ... And Berube may have been the only thing that kept this from escalating into Sports Legend. :laugh:

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

IMO... One of the main reasons Lavi has so many votes in this Poll... and will always be loved by the Fans who've lived through his tenure with the O&B. :yo:

EDIT: ... And Berube may have been the only thing that kept this from escalating into Sports Legend. :laugh:

Every time I see that picture all I see is the fan in the middle with the giant buck teeth and think, that is Pittsburgh and Lavi is pointing straight at him.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Lol Lavy is number 1??

I'm not surprised my top 5 are also the top 5 highest voted (Neilson next closest but I didn't pick him), but I am surprised Lavy got 1st.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

speaking of Berube. I am looking at that pic and I see what looks like a photoshopped head of Berube. I know it isnt but his head is just I dont know, weird in that pic?
then again its Berube so yeah. lol

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
speaking of Berube. I am looking at that pic and I see what looks like a photoshopped head of Berube. I know it isnt but his head is just I dont know, weird in that pic?
then again its Berube so yeah. lol

:laugh: Not Chief's best photo, for sure... Yeah, the white to the left and around his chin does have that Photoshop feel... but, I'm sure it's not.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I really should have given him the pity point, but I wanted Hakstol and Berube to have some more votes.

Haha... so YOU are the guy who doom poor Vic to live in infamy... I doubt anyone else will step up at this late date.

I all seriousness, I'm fine with people voting for whom they really like... You bleeding hearts just gum up the works. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad