Favorite defunct club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogopogo*

What is your favorite former NHL team? Moved, folded, merged whatever. If there is a team that is no more, it qualifies. What is your favorite?

I liked the California Golden Seals which later became the Cleveland Barons and merged with the Minnesota North Stars then emerged from the North Stars to become the San Jose Sharks.

The Colorado Rockies (formerly Kansas City Scouts and now New Jersey Devils) had cool uniforms

The Hartford Whalers had an ingenious logo.

The Seals are definitely my fave. Love the green, gold and white color scheme and I love an underdog.

Last edited by a moderator:

acr*

The Whalers had the best uniforms, so you gotta love them. I also liked the whole Big brothers/little brother rivalries they had with Boston and the Rangers.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
What is your favorite former NHL team? Moved, folded, merged whatever. If there is a team that is no more, it qualifies. What is your favorite?

I liked the California Golden Seals which later became the Cleveland Barons and merged with the Minnesota North Stars then emerged from the North Stars to become the San Jose Sharks.

The Colorado Rockies (formerly Kansas City Scouts and now New Jersey Devils) had cool uniforms

The Hartford Whalers had an ingenious logo.

The Seals are definitely my fave.

The Whalers or the Jets for me

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
jets - just because in the early 90s the Canucks had some pretty good series with them, where they (the canucks) came out on top. Plus the odd Winnipeg Arena having the painting of the queen is something I will never forget.

Nordiques - some great games against the Canadiens. 1993 playoffs - the high stick in overtime where demers was rushing his team off the ice hoping that the goal would still count any they couldn't do anything if the Canadiens just all left the ice. Plus the brawls the two teams had were great.

Hartford - just because of the logo really.

Why the NHL only limit? The WHA had great teams; the Birmingham Bulls, Cincinatti Stingers, Minnesota Fighting Saints, Indianapolis Racers, Houston Aeros, San Diego Mariners.... not to mention the Oilers, Jets and Whalers.

I think the Bulls are my fave though, or at least they seem to have more interesting stories about them. These guys were crazy; in 77-78 they racked up 2177 penalty minutes in 80 games. (By comparison the most the Broad Street Bullies managed was 1980) They had Linseman, Napier, Big M and Paul Henderson for scorers, and 4 guys with over 240 PIMS! Dave Hanson had 241 in 42 games, Frank "Seldom" Beaton had 279 in 56 games, Steve Durbano had 284 in 45 games and Gilles "Bad News" Bilodeau had 258 in 59 games. (Last season it took Sean Avery more than 70 games to rack up 261!)

They were the Charlestown Chiefs come to life... :biglaugh: Hell, Dave Hanson went on to portray Jack Hanson in that movie. Not much of a stretch I guess...

Ogopogo*

Malefic74 said:
Why the NHL only limit? The WHA had great teams; the Birmingham Bulls, Cincinatti Stingers, Minnesota Fighting Saints, Indianapolis Racers, Houston Aeros, San Diego Mariners.... not to mention the Oilers, Jets and Whalers.

I think the Bulls are my fave though, or at least they seem to have more interesting stories about them. These guys were crazy; in 77-78 they racked up 2177 penalty minutes in 80 games. (By comaprison the most the Broad Street Bullies managed was 1980) They had Linseman, Napier, Big M and Paul Henderson for scorers, and 4 guys with over 241 PIMS! Dave Hanson had 241 in 42 games, Frank "Seldom" Beaton had 279 in 56 games, Steve Durbano had 284 in 45 games and Gilles "Bad News" Bilodeau had 258 in 59 games.

They were the Charlestown Chiefs come to life... :biglaugh: Hell, Dave Hanson went on to portray Jack Hanson in that movie. Not much of a stretch I guess...

Yes, I apologize. The old WHA had some great teams, uniforms and logos.

I like the Racers because that is where Gretzky began his pro career. The San Diego Mariners had a cool logo.

But, the best logo - and Mark Messier's first pro team - was the Cincinnati Stingers.

Ogopogo*

hawker14 said:
1) Winnipeg Jets
2) Quebec Nordiques
3) Hartford Whalers

What is the deal on your avatar? I don't remember the Jets logo looking like that.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Ogopogo said:
What is the deal on your avatar? I don't remember the Jets logo looking like that.

a possible logo for the team when the jets return to winnipeg.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Ogopogo said:

It's his version of what the new one will look like when they come back.

Ogopogo said:
Yes, I apologize. The old WHA had some great teams, uniforms and logos.

I like the Racers because that is where Gretzky began his pro career. The San Diego Mariners had a cool logo.

But, the best logo - and Mark Messier's first pro team - was the Cincinnati Stingers.

And the worst would be the 74-75 vintage Calgary Cowboys logo. What a joke.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/logos/logos.cgi?logo_file=wha/calcow75.gif

Looks like a 4 year old drew it. :shakehead

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
The Miami Screaming Eagles. Signed Bernie Parent, as I recall...and then folded before they ever played a game.

One of many nomadic and erstwhile WHA franchises.

Ogopogo - my memories of the Seals: They had an absolutely anonymous fringe winger named Morris Mott in the early 70s. For some off-beat reason, a band of fans in the Rangers cheapseats (the blueseats; they were cheap then, I suppose) took to fashioning the Morris Mott Fanclub. Had banners, the works made up for the one time each season that he and his Seals came to town. That lasted about 2-3 seasons, the length of his career.

Other memory: Seals had a goalie named Bob Champeaux (pronounced "shampoo"). Guess funny names linger in a youngster's mind.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Colorado Rockies: team I watched as a young child. Gave the sportsworld Rock and Roll part2, Hardy Astrom, and traded top 5 picks for nothing

Hartford Whalers: I had to get a new favorite and Kevin Dineen was my favorite player (and former DU Pioneer).

Montreal Maroons: Hard to believe a team that won the cup folded.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Trottier said:
The Miami Screaming Eagles. Signed Bernie Parent, as I recall...and then folded before they ever played a game.

One of many nomadic and erstwhile WHA franchises.

Ogopogo - my memories of the Seals: They had an absolutely anonymous fringe winger named Morris Mott in the early 70s. For some off-beat reason, a band of fans in the Rangers cheapseats (the blueseats; they were cheap then, I suppose) took to fashioning the Morris Mott Fanclub. Had banners, the works made up for the one time each season that he and his Seals came to town. That lasted about 2-3 seasons, the length of his career.

Other memory: Seals had a goalie named Bob Champeaux (pronounced "shampoo"). Guess funny names linger in a youngster's mind.

The Miami Screaming Eagles became the Philadelphia Blazers (then the Vancouver Blazers and then the Calgary Cowboys), mainly due to arena difficulties and lack of funds. D'oh! They (the Screaming Eagles) officially existed from Nov. 1, 1971 to Apr 28, 1972.

Also, the WHA had a team in Dayton that never played; they moved to Houston and became the Aeros. The Quebec Nordiques began as the San Francisco SeaHawks for a brief period, about 3 1/2 months, when the WHA officially awarded franchises. A fourth original WHA city, Calgary, had financial woes, too, and were replaced by Cleveland -- the Crusaders.

My favorite logo was probably the Minnesota Fighting Saints in their first go-around. Here is a link:

http://www.geocities.com/braniff73/saints.html

As far as the NHL: the Seals' franchise was colorful so they are my pick.

Last edited:

MB1

Mar 26, 2005
Has to be the Golden Seals. How could you hate a team with a uniform that rivaled the Canucks' vomit yellow "V" for the all-time ugliest sports uniform?

Ogopogo*

MB1 said:
Has to be the Golden Seals. How could you hate a team with a uniform that rivaled the Canucks' vomit yellow "V" for the all-time ugliest sports uniform?

?????

Have you seen Nashville's alternate?

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Benton Fraser said:
Plus the odd Winnipeg Arena having the painting of the queen is something I will never forget.

Bobby Hull once told a story about how he brought Brett to practice in the Arena when he was about 8-9 years old, and how he could hit the queen with a slapshot more often than most players on the team :)

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
MB1 said:

How about the white skates???????? Classic!!! Charlie Finley was a marketing genious!! The dad of a kid on my peewee team worked for them and I got a pair of the white skates after they stopped using them and the shell of Al McAdam's pants from the powder blue Sparky the Seal days. I tried to wear the pants in juniors but my coach wasn't too hip on that idea.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
jamiebez said:
Bobby Hull once told a story about how he brought Brett to practice in the Arena when he was about 8-9 years old, and how he could hit the queen with a slapshot more often than most players on the team :)

I don't believe that actually, the reason being that Brett grew up in the same neighborhood as quite a few family members, and they all remember him being a little tubby to say the least when he was around that age. I guess the area would be around the north shore in the greater vancouver area.

Actually before they moved from Toronto they were in the same neighborhood as some greats like Kennedy. I am so envious of them for that fact alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad