OT: Favorite burger place in Arizona

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Best fast food pizza is Papa Murphy's by a country mile, if you don't mind actually having to bake it yourself.

Otherwise, I'd probably go with Rosati's or Stevie's.

My favorite fast-food burger is Freddy's.

Portillo's has good dogs and brats, but like all Chicago-imported chains it's overhyped way too much.
:laugh:Funny how taste buds differ. Never been to Stevie's but I don't care for Papa Murphy's or Rosati's. I don't think Portillo's is over hyped at all, and their volume confirms this. Not sure if Culver's has been mentioned but they make a good burger. Had Freddy's only once and I can't remember what it taste like.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don't think Portillo's is over hyped at all, and their volume confirms this.

Volume is not an indicator of quality. It just means it's popular. McDonald's is the highest-volume fast-food hamburger franchise in the world, but how many times have you been on a long road trip and eaten at a McDonald's out of necessity or convenience?

Chicago-area franchises like Portillos, Giordanos, Ginos East, etc. that have been established here are all good, but man do they ever get hyped out the wazoo because of their reputation rather than their actual food.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I'm on the "Portillos is alright" train. I was told it was amazing, etc etc and it's not bad. It didn't live up to the hype it received, to me.

As for fast food burgers: Wendy's has always been one of my favorites.
Whataburger has some fantastic options as well (also huge servings if you're looking for it)
In n out is great too and well priced.
Five guys... not a fan... don't like the price per burger/meal. The way they a la carte everything makes it too expensive for what you get, to me.
Habit Burger has been a good recent burger I've tried. Love the fries as well.

It's a whole meal experience for me... burger, fries, drink. A symphony of flavor :laugh: haha.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Well, that is not saying much.

Well we're talking fast food chains. When I get pizza and wings lately, it's Don's New York pizza because the pizza is pretty good (Give me a NY foldable slice with the greasy cheese dripping off over Chicago or Detroit style every time), wings are really good and it's close to home. Just talking the fast food chains though, Hungry Howies is better than the others. I don't like Roasati's, never heard of Stevie's and if I'm going for pizza, I want it cooked so I've never tried any of those bake it yourself places and doubt I ever will. Bake it yourself or even buffets make no sense to me. If I'm going to pick up take out, I at least want it cooked and if I'm going out to eat, bring me my damn food, don't make me go get it myself!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I've never been much for Chicago's Pizza-cakes. A Buddy's opened up near me. Good for when I want cake with cheese and tomato sauce on top.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tastes differ, but I also feel like if you go to In N Out and don't order your burger animal style, then you're doing it wrong.
I’d consider animal style, but I’d want them to add the cold onion and lettuce after. I’d miss the crunch otherwise. Since I’m extremely reluctant to customize my order in any way, I’ll probably just stick with...

“I would like a number one with a Diet Coke, please. Thank you!”

I typically just order whatever is the special of the house, with no modifications.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Anyone had Burger Burger at Chase field? I'm going tonight. where should I eat?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I've never been much for Chicago's Pizza-cakes. A Buddy's opened up near me. Good for when I want cake with cheese and tomato sauce on top.
I think we live close to one another if it was opened in the last 6 months. I only had Buddies once and it was ok, still strongly prefer Rosati's, Nello's, and Spinats.

If it has to be a "fast food" burger joint, 5 guys is the best IMO. It's not so fast that you feel like it went through a microwave (plus you can see that it didn't) and not so slow you need 2. Their BBQ is pretty good too.

I still take my own burgers over everything else when I feel like cooking. True medium/well burger and I can really customize the flavors and textures that go into it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Volume is not an indicator of quality. It just means it's popular. McDonald's is the highest-volume fast-food hamburger franchise in the world, but how many times have you been on a long road trip and eaten at a McDonald's out of necessity or convenience?

Chicago-area franchises like Portillos, Giordanos, Ginos East, etc. that have been established here are all good, but man do they ever get hyped out the wazoo because of their reputation rather than their actual food.
I guess that is true if you include McD in the equation. They are so far ahead of everyone with locations and dollars to spend on advertising to draw the people.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Anyone had Burger Burger at Chase field? I'm going tonight. where should I eat?

Is that what they renamed the Smashburger concession? I haven't been in a while. I found the Smashburger concession there anemic at best, but then the only really good food at that ballpark has been their custom artery-killers, IMO.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It is. Well, Chilton to be more precise. IIRC you used to live near Alma/Elliot, yes? Something about the little package store in the NE corner.
Yes. I grew up in Marlborough Mesa. North of Elliot, South of Guadalupe. East of Alma School, West of Country Club. Years later, my wife and I bought our first house in that same neighborhood. We’ve since moved to Gilbert (across the street from Joe’s Farm Grill), but I’ve worked nearly seven years at a company between Elliot and Warner on Arizona Avenue.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
... but I’ve worked nearly seven years at a company between Elliot and Warner on Arizona Avenue.

We've been in this office since April 2000. I've been here all but five of those years 2003-07 when I had to commute to an American Express facility across from MetroCenter (and the only upside of that was I had a short(er) commute to weeknight Yotes games when our arena first opened...apart from that it sucked)... I lived at the 202/Alma then and now in downtown Chandler.

Yeah, not much for burgers on this stretch (although some people swear by Julia's, and a Lenny's opened at Alma/Warner), or restaurants in general. One of these days I need to see if the Ethiopian place is acceptable.

Edit: I really should go to Wilderness more often; I can walk there in 10 mins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad