Favorite and Best Game: BOTW vs RDR2 vs TW3

Favorite and Best

• Total voters

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
In terms of game play and game design, BOTW is on another level than the other two poll options.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
BOTW is a masterpiece, but it isn't perfect.

The biggest issue, IMO, are that the dungeons (or legendary machines, whatever) are really quite weak compared to the grand, intricate dungeons of previous Zelda games.

Smaller, more annoying issues are the rate at which weapons degrade and the rate at which the stamina meter drops. The latter isnt too much of a problem after leveling up a few times, but I do really wish that they had just made the bloody Master Sword immune to degradation of any kind. Even if that meant that they blocked you off from getting it til midway or 2/3rds of the way through the game (instead of being able to get it almost immediately if you know how and where).

Everything else about the games design is spectacular.
You need 14 hearts to get the Master Sword, so you definitely can't get it almost immediately, even if you go to the right area.

And if you beat the three trials, it is nearly unbreakable.

Reactions: JaegerDice

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
You need 14 hearts to get the Master Sword, so you definitely can't get it almost immediately, even if you go to the right area.

And if you beat the three trials, it is nearly unbreakable.

Fair.

The point remains, the weapon degration in BOTW is way too extreme. Weapons bust up far too fast.

I get Nintendo wants to force you to use any and all weapons at your disposal, but in practice, it just led to me keeping my favorite weapons unused just in case a major fight occured.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
BOTW is better as an open world. You can pretty much go wherever you want and there are tons of little things to explore that aren't necessarily tied to quests or experience or anything. Plus I enjoyed the weapon mechanics and the combat was really rewarding.

The Witcher 3 is an interesting case for me. I don't think it has the best open world, or the best story, or the best combat mechanics, but the world that was created and the characters that you are involved with really creates one of the most engaging experiences I have had while gaming. The armor/weapons are fantastic to look at, the way the characters interact immersed me, and every single aspect of it was the right amount of polished to keep me interested in what I was doing and not get bored.

I think between the two I give a slight edge to The Witcher 3, because I have played through it five times in a row (working on a sixth) and it keeps bringing me back.

And the reason I didn't include RDR2 is because I have not played it.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
From those 3 I will say it is a tie for both BOTW and Witcher 3, Both had me totally hooked and dialed in when I was playing them, and they were the only game I was focusing on at that time. RD2 was a beautiful and well made game, but to me it just was not as fun or engaging as the other two, and felt like it dragged a bit

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
RDR2 for me. I own all 3, but it’s the only one I got even remotely far into. The game plays well, and the story is phenomenal. RDR is one of the most overrated games out there, but 2 absolutely blew me away.

I haven’t been able to make much progress in the Witcher 3. It’s a game that was basically ruined for me from people overhyping it. I went in expecting to be immediately hooked by the story and gameplay, and I just wasn’t. I hated the controls, character, and combat, and every time I played it, I just kept thinking about how I’d much rather be playing Elder Scrolls. So I just went and played Elder Scrolls for the millionth time. Maybe one day I’ll actually be able to play it and get hooked...

I haven’t been able to give BOTW fair shot at all because of the fact the switch is probably the least comfortable controller I’ve ever held, and I haven’t felt like spending $100 to buy a pro controller in the hopes that it’s not such a mess. I’m much more tempted to just sell my switch considering the whole point of me getting it was for playing on the go, and I’d rather game on my phone than hold the god awful switch. The weapons breaking so damn fast really didn’t help either

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
RDR2 here, hands down. TW3 is also a great game, but not as good. BoTW ... tried many times to play it and bounced off it HARD. Just found it incredibly boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad