Music: Favorite albums lambasted by critics

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with being influenced by others / outside perspectives, as long as one's own two cents remains the foundation or the final adjudicator on whatever it is the listener is considering. Probably about half of my favorite bands came from a single poster on these boards (who is not an active user on HF). I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. This poster's taste just seemed like gold to me.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Who was it?

A ton of my favorites came from about four or five posters here as well. Some from Kihei and Hotogitsu early on, some from you and Tasty Biscuits, and probably the most from Warm Cookies, who got me into both Fela Kuti and Captain Beefheart.

That might actually be an interesting thread idea.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Who was it?

A ton of my favorites came from about four or five posters here as well. Some from Kihei and Hotogitsu early on, some from you and Tasty Biscuits, and probably the most from Warm Cookies, who got me into both Fela Kuti and Captain Beefheart.

That might actually be an interesting thread idea.
It was this poster called Ultimate. He helped me when I was attempting to continue my search for the bands that were at the origin of the types of metal to which I listen by giving me a bunch of short lists separated by genre. Even about a third of my top-25 albums are directly from him (mostly metal). From current posters I've gotten stuff mostly from Hivemind, Ouroboros, and you so far. (hototogisu is pretty good for obscure stuff though.) Warm Cookies, kihei, and Wrigley sort of just have their niches, like I imagine I do. Ouroboros, Xelebes, and Necropolis are good for music theory / technical knowledge about music, and even historical knowledge.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Ultimate sounds somewhat familiar. I find that it's actually a pretty interesting dynamic with guys that have their own niches-- When you get a recommendation from someone that seems to uniquely love a particular album more than others tend to, and it equally clicks with you, you sort of permanently and subconsciously create this association between the poster and the album, and almost give them imaginery ownership of it. Stuff like After Bathing at Baxter's with Kihei, Lick My Decals Off Baby with Warm Cookies, for example.

Whereas a guy like Hotogitsu is great for general education/exposure, for some reason, I have less of a tendency to make that assocation and in fact unfortunately forget which ones he got me into after a while.

Weird stuff. I guess it has everything to do with how hard they campaign for them.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
How do you even know where to begin? With the sheer amount of releases and accessibility to almost everything I need a starting point.

I know what I like so I branch out from there. I keep track of my favorite artists websites and often people like Trent Reznor, the guys from Tool, etc. post about bands they like, up and coming ones.

Also if I hear something I like on the radio, in a movie or where ever, I take note and do some research. That's how I found bands like Coheed and Cambria. I had never heard of them before I say the commercial for the movie 9 which used Welcome Home. I liked that song, read up on the band and listened to more stuff on you tube and now own all their albums.

For Kyuss, I heard Space Cadet on the radio years ago and again looked up the band and went from there.

I am also a big fan of guitar music such as Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson, Buckethead, Gary Hoey, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin, etc. most of these I learned about in part thanks to a guitarist friend.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Also:

George Michael- Listen Without Prejudice: Amazing album, critics didn't like it much as the follow up to Faith. I think its WAY better than faith personally.

It's funny, my wife just told me a few days ago she wants that album on vinyl.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I don't really read reviews anymore so I'll have to think back...I remember Meshuggah's "Nothing" was pretty poorly received because it was a lot slower than their previous album but I liked it right from the get-go. Now it seems like people have come around on it.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I know what I like so I branch out from there. I keep track of my favorite artists websites and often people like Trent Reznor, the guys from Tool, etc. post about bands they like, up and coming ones.

Also if I hear something I like on the radio, in a movie or where ever, I take note and do some research. That's how I found bands like Coheed and Cambria. I had never heard of them before I say the commercial for the movie 9 which used Welcome Home. I liked that song, read up on the band and listened to more stuff on you tube and now own all their albums.

For Kyuss, I heard Space Cadet on the radio years ago and again looked up the band and went from there.

I am also a big fan of guitar music such as Satriani, Vai, Eric Johnson, Buckethead, Gary Hoey, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin, etc. most of these I learned about in part thanks to a guitarist friend.

I see. That's definitely a good approach and one I appreciate. On a related note, I want to give Tool a good listen. I've never heard a whole album. Safe to start with Aenima?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad