Fault: Trotz or Poile

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Should've done it once Suter/his agent tabled contract negotiations during that off-season
Agreed and was adamant about it back then. Poile was just too naive and complanent and we missed our best chance to get a true top 6 forward for someone we lost for nothing.

Even a team who was a true contender (Pittsburgh) was smart even to move their soon to be UFA when he wouldn't resign (Staal). And they had very few holes to fill. It's just smart asset mgmt by Shero.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
FYI, we are not two top 6 players away from being contenders. We are two top 3 players away from being contenders. Always have been.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Kessel was RFA, not sure how that relates to being able to attract UFAs. Now Poile/mgmt allegedly not wanting to pay his $5,5m salary-- that's another issue.

Parise would have been nice (one of the FEW high-end offensive players in their prime hitting UFA in the past 5 years). But how are we going to compete with him wanting to play for his hometown?

Briere would have been fine I guess, but he's old and he would've barley helped this team. Certainly not a missing piece type player.

We're talking about attracting free agents right? In other words, providing an environment that players want to come to? Kessel was a restricted free agent up for grabs via trade and there were rumors that he didn't want to come here. Yea, I remember Poile saying that was too much money, which makes him look pretty silly now.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
We're talking about attracting free agents right? In other words, providing an environment that players want to come to? Kessel was a restricted free agent up for grabs via trade and there were rumors that he didn't want to come here. Yea, I remember Poile saying that was too much money, which makes him look pretty silly now.

Sure sounds it wasn't because of Poile that Kessel didn't come here.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predators/2009/09/24/final-thought-on-poiles-pursuit-of-kessel/

Predators general manager David Poile has deservedly earned a reputation as one of the NHL’s most tight-lipped executives when it comes to detailing his business.

If Toronto’s Brian Burke is on one end of the spectrum in keeping the world up to date on whatever he’s up to, Poile is on the opposite.

But just because Poile doesn’t detail his daily activities to the public doesn’t mean he’s not working. Silence should not be interpreted as slacking.

It was only recently that I learned, for instance, that Poile had attempted to acquire Boston’s Phil Kessel as far back as the NHL draft in June.

Predators captain Jason Arnott had a pretty good comment regarding the manner in which Poile works:

“I don’t think people know how much he really tries because he’s so private and keeps everything to himself. He’s one of those general managers that keeps everything in the family. He does a great job at that.

“A lot of people think that maybe he doesn’t try as hard as he should. But I know from being inside, he he put everything out there to get (Kessel) in here and help the team win, and that shows a lot.

“It’s not like he’s just sitting around doing nothing and thinking everything’s fine and that we don’t need help. He’s the exact opposite, but he just keeps it internally.’’

Personally, I think it’s good that the Predators’ interest in – and attempts to acquire – Kessel came to light.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
That article is confusing to me. The gist of it is that Poile "tried", according to Jason Arnott. I've also read the articles that say Toronto was the only one willing to offer him the contract he wanted. Not saying either one is right.

While it's interesting to read that Jason Arnott wants to let everyone know that Poile tries really hard... a GM is measured in results, not trying. I'm sure they all try hard.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
It didn't matter if Kessel made it here or not Soon as Kessel gave the puck away he'd be in the doghouse and his game would have taken a dive. When you don't have offensive system that is condusive to young forwards like Wilson and Smith to be at a point that they are viable scorers. Where Wilson has become a Legwand clone who is a Spaling likeness. Now the excuse of the full training camp behind them and Forsberg cant break the lineup because he doesn't play defense.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
Sure sounds it wasn't because of Poile that Kessel didn't come here.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/predators/2009/09/24/final-thought-on-poiles-pursuit-of-kessel/

Predators general manager David Poile has deservedly earned a reputation as one of the NHL’s most tight-lipped executives when it comes to detailing his business.

If Toronto’s Brian Burke is on one end of the spectrum in keeping the world up to date on whatever he’s up to, Poile is on the opposite.

But just because Poile doesn’t detail his daily activities to the public doesn’t mean he’s not working. Silence should not be interpreted as slacking.

It was only recently that I learned, for instance, that Poile had attempted to acquire Boston’s Phil Kessel as far back as the NHL draft in June.

Predators captain Jason Arnott had a pretty good comment regarding the manner in which Poile works:

“I don’t think people know how much he really tries because he’s so private and keeps everything to himself. He’s one of those general managers that keeps everything in the family. He does a great job at that.

“A lot of people think that maybe he doesn’t try as hard as he should. But I know from being inside, he he put everything out there to get (Kessel) in here and help the team win, and that shows a lot.

“It’s not like he’s just sitting around doing nothing and thinking everything’s fine and that we don’t need help. He’s the exact opposite, but he just keeps it internally.’’

Personally, I think it’s good that the Predators’ interest in – and attempts to acquire – Kessel came to light.

those quotes help solidify the fact that arnie is my favorite pred.

poile has slack for a reason, he isnt a chump. now we may need a change but these statements hold water.

Love when people said he played with no heart, was soft, and a terrible captain yada yada. yet he was the definition of our team for years by being solid and coming up when needed and sticking up for his teamates, just go check up on the dumont-burrows hit if u need proof among many others.

Arnott. game three. slap shot. cross bar, down. favorite pred moment ever.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
That article is confusing to me. The gist of it is that Poile "tried", according to Jason Arnott. I've also read the articles that say Toronto was the only one willing to offer him the contract he wanted. Not saying either one is right.

While it's interesting to read that Jason Arnott wants to let everyone know that Poile tries really hard... a GM is measured in results, not trying. I'm sure they all try hard.
It was widely published we were in on the Kessel deal.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
It was widely published we were in on the Kessel deal.
I've never doubted that. Just coming down to why we didn't get done

http://mobile.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2009/09/chiarelli_kesse

"The Bruins had discussions with Nashville, with prospects Colin Wilson and Ryan Ellis being their two top targets. But in Chiarelli's estimation, the Predators would not have been able to match the five-year, $27 million contract Kessel received from the Leafs. Chiarelli said Kessel would not accept a sign-and-trade, which limited trade partners because most teams besides Toronto didn't have the funds Kessel was hoping for."

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
One team not afraid to make the change:

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Flames announce they've fired GM Jay Feaster.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

poile has slack for a reason, he isnt a chump. now we may need a change but these statements hold water.

Love when people said he played with no heart, was soft, and a terrible captain yada yada. yet he was the definition of our team for years by being solid and coming up when needed and sticking up for his teamates, just go check up on the dumont-burrows hit if u need proof among many others.

Arnott. game three. slap shot. cross bar, down. concussed. favorite pred moment ever.

Fixed. Although yeah that was a freakin awesome moment. Lost in the radio archives somewhere is Chris Mason actually being interviewed by Pete and Terry during those two goals. It's absolutely awesome.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
<snip>

While I agree it's about results, I think it is important to understanding that maybe it's not "sit back and let them come to me" GMDP as often portrayed on the boards. As well, some things are outside of his control - Suter is a perfect example, we all know they put the same or better contract in front of Sutes - he wanted to keep the bed cozy and went where she told him; we can argue all we want the GMDP shoulda' sent him packing earlier when he wouldn't sign the contract, but this is a really good example of sometimes no matter what you do you simply aren't gonna' get a FA you want. It's not always about what you do or don't do, or "the system" - sometimes it's stuff that is totally outside your control as GM.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN

Arnott. game three. slap shot. cross bar, down. favorite pred moment ever.
I still like Arnott. One thing I really liked was when we were going through "the sale" and were dumping players, it was just one year into Arnott's contract and Poile asked Arnott if he wanted him to see if he could trade him to a more stable/contending team. Arnott said no, that he made a commitment here and he wanted to stick with this team (this was in an article in the tennessean). It may not have ended like we all hoped it would with him and the team, but he did a lot of good things while he was here. And that moment vs the wings described above was awesome!

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
I still like Arnott. One thing I really liked was when we were going through "the sale" and were dumping players, it was just one year into Arnott's contract and Poile asked Arnott if he wanted him to see if he could trade him to a more stable/contending team. Arnott said no, that he made a commitment here and he wanted to stick with this team (this was in an article in the tennessean). It may not have ended like we all hoped it would with him and the team, but he did a lot of good things while he was here. And that moment vs the wings described above was awesome!

Who signed first Arnott or Kayria .....People say that we can't attract FA I don't buy that. Sure if they want the big payday they are not going to get it here. But! If you want a chance to win you go to the team with the best goalie and Defence. Kayria and Arnott and Dumont signings put our team trying to compete for the Cup Those two series with the Sharks showed that Trotz didn't know how coach in the playoffs. Now granted our defence wasn't like the defence when Phoenix eliminated the Wings hungover Predators. Trotz is the underdog coach eqivalent to college basketball before the shot clock where one team held the ball for the whole game and beat Top Ranked North Carolina at the end. He plays that we are inferior and we have to stop you and hopefully you make a mistake a we get funny bounces and hustle and have 2-0 lead and let Rinne and Defence finish it off. But superior teams don't let the underdog notions effect them knowning that it will be tight checking but when they get the lead which is the key then the inferior team has to take the chances and the funny bounces go in the other direction.

simplysincere*

Fire Poile and Trotz already!

How much more do we have to endure?

They've spoiled many chances at making this team a routine contender.

The Kostitsyns and Radulov were easily all 60-70 point players, with Radulov potentially hitting 100 plateau. Don't give me that "bad attitude" crap either. Both Trotz and Poile lack modernness. Players can't relate to these two.

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue
Thumbs up for the decision to send Coach Lambert to be with his wife undergoing Chemo, but I saw a tweet that Poile told Kleiner he had been traded, but DIDN'T TELL HIM WHERE. KK had to get a text from Shea. Between the Horachek firing and this episode, HOW MUCH MORE BUSH LEAGUE CAN MANAGEMENT BECOME????

Predsfan78

Ambassador
Jul 24, 2010
Nashville
Thumbs up for the decision to send Coach Lambert to be with his wife undergoing Chemo, but I saw a tweet that Poile told Kleiner he had been traded, but DIDN'T TELL HIM WHERE. KK had to get a text from Shea. Between the Horachek firing and this episode, HOW MUCH MORE BUSH LEAGUE CAN MANAGEMENT BECOME????

That's low.. How difficult is it to call someone who was faithfully playing for the club you manage for nearly a decade and say: "Kevin, we had to trade you to the Rangers. Thank you for your hard work and dedication."

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
That's low.. How difficult is it to call someone who was faithfully playing for the club you manage for nearly a decade and say: "Kevin, we had to trade you to the Rangers. Thank you for your hard work and dedication."
Not to say it isn't true, but I'd rather see this confirmed by a legit source before jumping to any conclusions.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
How much more do we have to endure?

They've spoiled many chances at making this team a routine contender.

The Kostitsyns and Radulov were easily all 60-70 point players, with Radulov potentially hitting 100 plateau. Don't give me that "bad attitude" crap either. Both Trotz and Poile lack modernness. Players can't relate to these two.

If the problem with those players was Trotz or Poile they would be in the NHL playing for someone else.

There is plenty to criticize about Trotz and Poile but the Russians are responsible for their own situations

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I blame them both, Poile for not putting solid teams together, and Trotz not doing anything with them once he does manage to put one together.

TBH with both of them I always gave them some slack because they have spent so many years with management hamstringing them. After the Suter/Weber and whatever has happened since then years I don't give either any slack tbh.

Trotz generally can make ok talent look decent together, I just don't think he can do anything with great talent. Poile just seems to let indecision get in his way.

Poile makes a good trade with the Forsberg deal, and then messes up in the FA period. Trotz gets offensive minded players and then buries them on checking lines.

Both been here 15 years with little to show for it. Everything has its time and I think these two have had theirs.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Enough already. After 15 years, it is time for a change. Poile has never won a Cup much less been to a conference final. Trotz is a mediocre coach who should have been fired after we lost to Phoenix. I am tired of the excuses the "explanations" of how Trotz doesn't kill offensive talent. The bottom line is results and we have none. Hell even Atlanta managed to win a division banner. Find a Scotty Bowman protege as GM and get hiring an experienced assistant from a winning franchise.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
Enough already. After 15 years, it is time for a change. Poile has never won a Cup much less been to a conference final. Trotz is a mediocre coach who should have been fired after we lost to Phoenix. I am tired of the excuses the "explanations" of how Trotz doesn't kill offensive talent. The bottom line is results and we have none. Hell even Atlanta managed to win a division banner. Find a Scotty Bowman protege as GM and get hiring an experienced assistant from a winning franchise.

:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad