Faulk trade targets

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If NYR was the rebuilding team in the east with potential RFAs to swap for Faulk, I’d hope K Hayes would be at the top of that list. He’s certainly not a #1c, but he’s got the size the “brain trust” seems to prefer lately and he put up 25g last year at the C position. I doubt though that NYR really would be going after Faulk with Shattenkirk already on that roster.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I don't see how management could rest on their goaltending situation until they put 2 players in place in addition to what is already here. Even if they bring in someone seemingly up to the task (such as Rinne), they cannot be satisfied with that. Darling can't be seen as the likely backup in Raleigh.

I'm never one to say "I'll be pissed if ..." on this forum, but bringing in only one new goaltender would definitely have me second-guessing the organization.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't get "Faulk for Severson". Severson is RH dman, we already have Hamilton and Pesce. Dillon is terrible third pairing guy, Karlsson is barely top 9 forward. Nyquist is good but i prefer Zucker/Saad/Nino.
Gotta say, Niederreiter for Faulk and Spurgeon for a forward is my dark horse candidate for Minnesota's big "tweak" this summer. You guys would love the **** out of Nino.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Gotta say, Niederreiter for Faulk and Spurgeon for a forward is my dark horse candidate for Minnesota's big "tweak" this summer. You guys would love the **** out of Nino.

Nino or Zucker both fit extremely well with the Canes. And Faulk seems like a great fit in his hometown team (at a cheap price for 2 years as well). I'd also like to see a Brodin-Hamilton pair but that may be a bit too much flux. As you mention, the big question would be whether or not Minnesota plans on changing out Spurgeon or Dumba.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Nino or Zucker both fit extremely well with the Canes. And Faulk seems like a great fit in his hometown team (at a cheap price for 2 years as well). I'd also like to see a Brodin-Hamilton pair but that may be a bit too much flux. As you mention, the big question would be whether or not Minnesota plans on changing out Spurgeon or Dumba.
Dumba would shock me, but for the right price it's not impossible. Moving Spurgeon would surprise me as well, but that seems like a decision we'll have to make in the next 2 years regardless... maybe it makes sense to make it now?

Whatever Faulk's defensive warts are they can't be much worse than 21-22 year old Dumba, and Brodin handled that pairing okay. I have zero concerns about Brodin-Faulk, and the contract/age looks like a good fit, too.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Can Nino play on the LW?
He plays both equally well. The fact that injuries have pushed Coyle (normally a RW) to center pretty frequently means that Nino has gotten switched around a lot. Good on the powerplay and he can kill penalties if you need him to, but I wouldn't consider him a "defensive" forward. Nino's defensive in the sense that when he's on the ice the puck tends to stay in the other team's zone.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He coached Spurgeon in junior and has gone out of his way multiple times as the Canes coach to say he loves Spurgeon (often unprompted, even if we're not playing the Wild).
He and Mike Russo would get along great :laugh: His Twitter feed during Spurgeon's first few months in the league was like an extended Valentine's day card.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
He coached Spurgeon in junior and has gone out of his way multiple times as the Canes coach to say he loves Spurgeon (often unprompted, even if we're not playing the Wild).

Can confirm. Peters dropped a "size isn't everything - Spurgeon was the best defender I ever coached" into at least half of the smaller speaking engagements I saw him at. He talked about Spurgeon more than he talked about some of his own players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad