Proposal: Faulk+(?) for Jacob Trouba... Does it work?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The same Dman many thought would play on the Jet's second pair after their $7.6 mil/year Dman...:thumbu:

:laugh:

The point is that Fla does not appear to be a very likely trade partner. The only way it would work would be Trouba for Ekblad and if Chevy won't pay Trouba 7.5 why would he pay Ekblad 7.5?

And why would Fla do that?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
With Myers and Buff on the roster, I wouldn't move Trouba for Faulk. I don't have the analytics in front of me, but I feel he's similar to Myers. Good offensively, but pretty weak in his own end. And he needs to be on the PP. I don't see us getting the type of D we would need (a defenseman that can handle tough defensive assignments) if we move Trouba because I don't see why the other team would do that.

In a way, it's too bad that Tavares didn't stay in NY. I'd speculate that if he did, they might look at themselves as more of a "now" team. And they don't have a top pair RHD (Boychuck, Pulock, and Mayfield). I'd love to get a guy like Dobson back as part of a trade.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if we could get Barkov or Trocheck that deal should have been done yesterday. Highly doubt FLA moves any of their top 2 Cs. I am not a huge fan of Faulks. Id do a deal for Pulock+

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
if we could get Barkov or Trocheck that deal should have been done yesterday. Highly doubt FLA moves any of their top 2 Cs. I am not a huge fan of Faulks. Id do a deal for Pulock+

Agree on Barkov or Trocheck, those guys are not getting moved.

I like Pulock, but I think Dobson is the all situations guy I'd rather have. He's not ready this season, but could possibly look good with Morrissey for a long time. Pulock would be a great Myers replacement though. I guess Trouba+ for Pulock + Dobson is getting too greedy? :naughty:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Agree on Barkov or Trocheck, those guys are not getting moved.

I like Pulock, but I think Dobson is the all situations guy I'd rather have. He's not ready this season, but could possibly look good with Morrissey for a long time. Pulock would be a great Myers replacement though. I guess Trouba+ for Pulock + Dobson is getting too greedy? :naughty:

what about Pulock+Bellows for Trouba? This was floated on the trade board w/ an isles fan. Id think jets scouts have seen a lot of Bellows so they likely have some sort of qualified opinion on him. Don't think Dobson or Wahlstrom are on the table, unfortunately.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
what about Pulock+Bellows for Trouba? This was floated on the trade board w/ an isles fan. Id think jets scouts have seen a lot of Bellows so they likely have some sort of qualified opinion on him. Don't think Dobson or Wahlstrom are on the table, unfortunately.

Would depend on the orgs assessment of Bellows I guess, hard for me to say. I'm not sure another winger in the system would be preferred.

I don't think a guy like Dobson is off the table for a guy like Trouba though. It would Dobson+ if we're moving Trouba. But they would have to be looking to improve their team right now, and I wonder if that's still the case with Tavares moving on.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
If FLA wants Trouba all they have to do is wait for free agency and play up proximity to his condo and girlfriend, and a likely improving roster. Overhardt probably already has a pretty good idea if the Panthers would be willing to pay his AAV.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
If FLA wants Trouba all they have to do is wait for free agency and play up proximity to his condo and girlfriend, and a likely improving roster. Overhardt probably already has a pretty good idea if the Panthers would be willing to pay his AAV.

I bet his AAV demands in Florida would be considerably less than here or a lot of other places.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

The point is that Fla does not appear to be a very likely trade partner. The only way it would work would be Trouba for Ekblad and if Chevy won't pay Trouba 7.5 why would he pay Ekblad 7.5?

Not to mention the salary cap issue with both clubs. Both are hard pressed now as well as looking into their futures.

A Trouba trade to Fort Lauderdale appears very difficult.

Even if we took a bath on the deal & traded straight up for Borgstrom (who would look great in a Jets jersey), Florida would be well over the cap and have to make additional roster moves to accomodate Trouba's cap hit.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

We have no idea how high Chevy would have gone on a 8 year deal for Trouba. There is a very real possibility it doesn't matter what Trouba is offered from Winnipeg, if he has no intention of signing here at any salary.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
We have no idea how high Chevy would have gone on a 8 year deal for Trouba. There is a very real possibility it doesn't matter what Trouba is offered from Winnipeg, if he has no intention of signing here at any salary.

If he really wants out, signing a long term deal would help expedite it. Kane didn't get dealt until he put pen to paper.

Getting value on the return for Trouba is key and having UFA status as a pressing concern is doing neither side favours.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

True. There are no absolutes. But we have Trouba's expressed interest in staying here. We had a rumour he asked for 8x8. Did I see a rumour about a 6x6.5 offer?

If Trouba really won't sign here for any amount Chevy should have found that out a year ago and traded him then. Or traded him at this year's draft.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
True. There are no absolutes. But we have Trouba's expressed interest in staying here. We had a rumour he asked for 8x8. Did I see a rumour about a 6x6.5 offer.

If Trouba really won't sign here for any amount Chevy should have found that out a year ago and traded him then. Or traded him at this year's draft.

This has been my point for several years now in trying to convince people that Trouba would indeed sign.

Chevy HAS to know Trouba's intentions and would have long ago traded him if he knew all along he couldn't be signed.

But another opportunity has come and went and now even the more optimistic Jets fans are turning sour, sick of coming up with excuses to justify what's going on while others tell us "we told you so."

I suppose Trouba could sign a long term deal in January & the contract was being put off so Chevy wouldn't have that cap hit affecting the team this year...

but I'm tired of inventing excuses when the reality appears he has no intention of signing...

but that last excuse is something to consider...

or I'm a fool...

...help?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
True. There are no absolutes. But we have Trouba's expressed interest in staying here. We had a rumour he asked for 8x8. Did I see a rumour about a 6x6.5 offer.

Or the Jets were hoping Trouba could change his mind after the best season ever in the Jets 2.0 era.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a tree of life." Proverbs 13:12

Thinking of Trouba just makes me feel... Trueblah

pun intended

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
This has been my point for several years now in trying to convince people that Trouba would indeed sign.

Chevy HAS to know Trouba's intentions and would have long ago traded him if he knew all along he couldn't be signed.

But another opportunity has come and went and now even the more optimistic Jets fans are turning sour, sick of coming up with excuses to justify what's going on while others tell us "we told you so."

I suppose Trouba could sign a long term deal in January & the contract was being put off so Chevy wouldn't have that cap hit affecting the team this year...

but I'm tired of inventing excuses when the reality appears he has no intention of signing...

but that last excuse is something to consider...

or I'm a fool...

...help?

Chevy can’t read minds. Tavares asked not to be traded and told he’d resign with NYI. In the end he didn’t. GMs should never operate under a false pretense a player will sign, especially in a situation like Trouba’s.

And no, he won’t sign (unless in conjunction with a trade, but I think he’ll just ride it out to free agency at this point). So can drop the hope, sorry :(

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Chevy can’t read minds. Tavares asked not to be traded and told he’d resign with NYI. In the end he didn’t. GMs should never operate under a false pretense a player will sign, especially in a situation like Trouba’s.

And no, he won’t sign (unless in conjunction with a trade, but I think he’ll just ride it out to free agency at this point). So can drop the hope, sorry :(

Chevy doesn't have to read minds. If Trouba hasn't been willing to sign for any amount he would certainly have figured that out years ago.

I would find it extremely difficult to believe he's been strung along.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ahhh the good old sign and trade. I used to love those. I'd imagine a couple of asshole players or GM's had gentlemen's agreements for sign and trades and reneged - which is why we don't see them anymore.

If Trouba wasn't such an asshole he'd sign for fair market value here on the proviso we'd trade him to a list of teams. That would significantly boost his value in the market - but he's a self centered asshole.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Chevy doesn't have to read minds. If Trouba hasn't been willing to sign for any amount he would certainly have figured that out years ago.

NYI just lost Tavares who asked not to be traded because he’d resign. Why would Trouba be any different?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
NYI just lost Tavares who asked not to be traded because he’d resign. Why would Trouba be any different?

?????? Both Faulk and Trouba are likely to UFAs is in two years. Why would the Jets trade for an inferior player?
Isles did not lose Tavares for the reasons you gave, Tavares left as a UFA. Technically he wasn't the Isles to lose as he was a Unrestricted FREE Agent

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Agree with you Good teams, good GMs, don't worry about upcoming UFAs two years in the future. They are trying to win now. If Trouba gives the Jets best chance to advance in the playoffs in the next two years, the Jets keep him. When he leaves as UFA in 2020, so be it. It has been evident for years, that Trouba wants his UFA status as quickly as possible.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
?????? Both Faulk and Trouba are likely to UFAs is in two years. Why would the Jets trade for an inferior player?
Isles did not lose Tavares for the reasons you gave, Tavares left as a UFA. Technically he wasn't the Isles to lose as he was a Unrestricted FREE Agent

You misunderstood me completely. NYI would have traded Tavares instead of losing him for nothing as a UFA, but Tavares had told management not to trade him because his intention was to resign. Which he didn’t, so NYI lost him for nothing.

Why are you telling me Jets shouldn’t trade him for an inferior player, where have I said anything of the sort? I just said that Chevy should not hold out hope for Trouba to sign, and his past indications of being willing to sign are not to be trusted. What has that got to do with trading him for an inferior player?

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You misunderstood me completely. NYI would have traded Tavares instead of losing him for nothing as a UFA, but Tavares had told management not to trade him because his intention was to resign. Which he didn’t, so NYI lost him for nothing.

Why are you telling me Jets shouldn’t trade him for an inferior player, where have I said anything of the sort? I just said that Chevy should not hold out hope for Trouba to sign, and his past indications of being willing to sign are not to be trusted. What has that got to do with trading him for an inferior player?
Thanks for the correction if I misunderstood. We will never know what the conversation was between the Isles and Tavares pre TDL 2018, regardless of what is had been said in public.
Even if Tavares "intended to sign" that certainly wasn't an iron clad agreement. Isles had the choice to trade or not, but they were still in a playoff hunt too.
Personally, I think JT wanted to stay on the Isle. I think it more family considerations that swayed him to play with the Leafs and closer to family. It's nothing special that Isles or Leafs did to sway him.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Thanks for the correction if I misunderstood. We will never know what the conversation was between the Isles and Tavares pre TDL 2018, regardless of what is had been said in public.
Even if Tavares "intended to sign" that certainly wasn't an iron clad agreement. Isles had the choice to trade or not, but they were still in a playoff hunt too.
Personally, I think JT wanted to stay on the Isle. I think it more family considerations that swayed him to play with the Leafs and closer to family. It's nothing special that Isles or Leafs did to sway him.

It’s been reported so many times that Tavares was telling management not to trade him that I’m inclined to believe it. The reason I brought it up was because I think the Trouba situation is a bit similar (albeit Trouba hasn’t even told Chevy not to trade him). I also think Tavares knew what he was doing and had already set his mind up on the Leafs, but couldn’t just leave after everything so he set his little show up.

Nevertheless, my point was that no indication of Trouba being willing to sign (prior statements, interviews etc) are to be taken seriously imho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->