Confirmed with Link: Faulk & 5th to STL for Edmundson, Bokk, 2021 7th

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Yeah, I don't think anyone should be overly concerned about Faulk until midway through next season.

Going into next season he'll have had a year to settle, had a full camp with no distractions and could well find himself with usage that he is more comfortable with. Even if he is just getting back to the ~35 point production range, Seattle will probably see value in that.

We need to remember that the cap is going to be closer to $90m than $80m for their first season in the League, and they won't have players at $9m+. $6.5m isn't a problematic salary, particularly for a RHD that could QB the PP for them.

Not saying that we should be hoping for Seattle to take him off our hands either, just that in that scenario that he would likely be the player Seattle want if we don't protect him.
And it bears repeating that Seattle will also have to be "floor" compliant, so they will need to take on some salary in the expansion draft that isn't just dead weight. There will be enough low price, high value options exposed that they will need to sprinkle in some higher dollar vets like Faulk.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Good

Lots of hate in here. That's fine, but I'll prop him up.

Reminds me of all the Junkman haters...
Except Sanford got his shit together. Faulk has just been ok. Dude has to hellasishly better to justify his next contract. Hopefully he makes us eat crow

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Just looked at Faulk's career stats. Last year was the first time he was in the + column for his entire NHL career. His previous totals include a -26 and a -22. Interesting. I just do not get why Armstrong targeted this guy.
Justin Faulk Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Well Carolina was a doormat for most of his career. There are aspects to Faulk that I like, so I can see some things that Army likes. If I had to guess, he figured Faulk would put up 40-50pts and would be a good add. That hasnt been the case but with Tyson Barrie being shown the door and Gardiner being shopped. I dont think Army will be stubborn. If Petro re-signed then Faulk is moved in the offseason if we need cap.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The problem with Faulk is they could take him out of the lineup and you wouldn’t even notice.

Gunnarsson-Petro
Scandella-Parayko
Dunn-Bortuzzo

That’s still a strong defense. Anyone else that’s making what Faulk makes has a huge impact on the game and we would be able to tell when they’re not playing. Petro, Parayko, Schwartz, Schenn, ROR, Perron, Tarasenko, Thomas and Sundqvist... those are the best players on the team. Faulk isn’t in that group and it is going be a huge uphill climb for him to get there and be worth the contract.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The problem with Faulk is they could take him out of the lineup and you wouldn’t even notice.

Gunnarsson-Petro
Scandella-Parayko
Dunn-Bortuzzo

That’s still a strong defense. Anyone else that’s making what Faulk makes has a huge impact on the game and we would be able to tell when they’re not playing. Petro, Parayko, Schwartz, Schenn, ROR, Perron, Tarasenko, Thomas and Sundqvist... those are the best players on the team. Faulk isn’t in that group and it is going be a huge uphill climb for him to get there and be worth the contract.
That would be ideal, 'cus nowdays Faulk is used at PK and zero at powerplay. Bortuzzo is good defensively and great at PK'er. I would love see Bortuzzo over Faulk.

Tho would be impossible to trade him if we healthy scratch him :laugh:

Imagine we've to watch him 7-years more. :facepalm:

Reactions: badmoth

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am going to say it. I honestly think the St.Louis Blues would be a better team without Justin Faulk. His presence has disrupted the defense pairings. His style of defending doesn't mesh with the Blues system. His contract, (which inexplicably has an NTC :mad:), increases our cap hit and could even be a factor in our re-signing of Alex Pietrangelo. Pietro-Parayko-Bortuzzo was just fine as a RD group, and oh yeah ... we won a cup with that!!! There seems to be a sub-set that takes any Faulk criticism as an attack on his personal character, and I assure you this is not the case. I am at my wit's end as to why Armstrong made this move. I just don't see any benefit for the Blues. I welcome arguments as to how he helps us, and remember ... this is not a personal attack!

Reactions: Ranksu

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I am going to say it. I honestly think the St.Louis Blues would be a better team without Justin Faulk. His presence has disrupted the defense pairings. His style of defending doesn't mesh with the Blues system. His contract, (which inexplicably has an NTC :mad:), increases our cap hit and could even be a factor in our re-signing of Alex Pietrangelo. Pietro-Parayko-Bortuzzo was just fine as a RD group, and oh yeah ... we won a cup with that!!! There seems to be a sub-set that takes any Faulk criticism as an attack on his personal character, and I assure you this is not the case. I am at my wit's end as to why Armstrong made this move. I just don't see any benefit for the Blues. I welcome arguments as to how he helps us, and remember ... this is not a personal attack!

Ok, opinion noted. Can we move on now? I can't speak for others but what bothers me most is reading the same opinions over and over again. It reminds me of Maroon last year, where many Blues fans constantly complained about him until he proved to be useful in the end.

Faulk ain't going anywhere this year no matter how much fans bash him online, so can we move on and reevaluate him again after the season? I wasn't a fan of the trade either but the amount of complaining about him is overkill. We get it. This is like trying to rate a movie when you've only watched half of it.

For the record, I mostly agree with your point. We didn't need Faulk but I'm guessing that Army saw an opportunity to acquire a solid player which would only cost spare parts. I don't get the extension either but let's see how it plays out first.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Ok, opinion noted. Can we move on now? I can't speak for others but what bothers me most is reading the same opinions over and over again. It reminds me of Maroon last year, where many Blues fans constantly complained about him until he proved to be useful in the end.

Faulk ain't going anywhere this year no matter how much fans bash him online, so can we move on and reevaluate him again after the season? I wasn't a fan of the trade either but the amount of complaining about him is overkill. We get it. This is like trying to rate a movie when you've only watched half of it.
It is being repeated because many people just don't get it! I don't know if it is general stupidity, or just people being deliberately obtuse. In any case, well said. I have said my peace about Faulk. I agree it is time to move on.

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
It is being repeated because many people just don't get it! I don't know if it is general stupidity, or just people being deliberately obtuse. In any case, well said. I have said my peace about Faulk. I agree it is time to move on.

I understand the complaints, but who knows what will happen. Maybe Faulk will be offered up to Vegas. Good forbid one of Petro or Parayko get injured, but we might appreciate having him by the end of the year. Who knows what will happen.

I honestly just think Army saw an opportunity to grab a player who happened to be available at decent, not great value. He's an upgrade on Eddy and he likely didn't see Bokk turning into a legit NHLer. STL isn't exactly a top UFA destination so Army tried to lock down a guy who was available. It doesn't look great so far but I don't think Faulk is as bad a some think.

Reactions: simon IC

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Someone had posted details, but Faulk’s presence has allowed both Pietro and Parayko to keep their minutes a bit lower. They’ve played a lot of hockey. Maybe it was more so as a backup plan, but I suspect that was part of Armstrong’s thoughts. The rest was that he would be losing an asset for nothing in Edmundson, and he got an asset back that was a veteran player in his prime.

Reactions: Blueston

mike1320

tenor.gif

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
He's a low IQ, high-risk player who will undoubtedly cost this team a few goals in the playoffs. The play late in OT against Dallas was a perfect example: carries the puck below the circles on his back hand from a sharp angle with Thomas trapped down low. As low percentage a play as you can make in that situation and led directly to Benn's breakaway (or if Schenn had played it slightly more conservative, a 2 on 1). It is what it is at this point.

Reactions: Ranksu

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Gotta have a dog to kick, I guess. Allen plays better so people starting kicking Sanford. Sanford plays better so now kick Faulk. Have you guys already picked out the next guy or is that TBD?
So, fans complain about players who play like crap? Shocking.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
They dont get it, 'Cus they are Faulk fan boys.

But discussion is welcome. You dont need to say sorry to give opinion so some people dont offended by it.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Oh, people get it alright, it's just that some (many?) of us simply don't agree or believe that the flaws in his game are being overstated.

I was in the camp of Sanford being overrated and our 13th forward at best earlier this season, and yet Berube kept running him out there. And then what happened? Now we have a vocal minority claiming that Faulk is garbage, or he's detrimental to the team, or he's going to cost us in the playoffs, and yet the coaching staff is trusting him more and more and giving him high leverage minutes. What does that tell you?

Maybe it's not "general stupidity, or just people being deliberately obtuse", maybe it's you that needs to change your point of view. The coaching staff certainly seems to think so.

Reactions: Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
He's a low IQ, high-risk player who will undoubtedly cost this team a few goals in the playoffs. The play late in OT against Dallas was a perfect example: carries the puck below the circles on his back hand from a sharp angle with Thomas trapped down low. As low percentage a play as you can make in that situation and led directly to Benn's breakaway (or if Schenn had played it slightly more conservative, a 2 on 1). It is what it is at this point.

Can anyone show that it was Faulk that did this? I just don't remember him being on the ice in OT and I don't have the ability to go watch the OT again to check.

EDIT: i was able to find the play by play on the NHL website. Man I can't believe he's so invisible in OT that I completely gloss over him existing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad