Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
stacked on the right and only okay on the left there

was hoping he can play his off side to make:
faulk-pietrangelo
bouwmeester - parayko
dunn - bortuzzo
gunnarsson

You don’t want Faulk next to a puck mover if you can avoid it. You want him next to a stable solid defensive guy that can let Faulks offensive game shine.

Think of him as a Kevin Shattenkirk type of player when he was here. He’s a big boost to the powerplay, 5 on 5 he just okay.

As for my thoughts on the trade: I like it to the extent of “Army thinks if we are going to win a Cup soon, it has to be now.” I also take this as this being Petros last year as a Blue, and we taking a shot while we can.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Ummm... What just happened?

I mean sure I wasn't happy with Eddy, but Faulk doesn't really fit the team mold Berube sets forward. And as previously mentioned that cap hit moving forward makes extensions problematic - on top of giving us way too many players on the RD side.

You've got to think this means there's more to come unless the intent is to have Faulk play his offside as LD 1/2.
Edmundson was never in those spots. Bouwmeester with Parayko, Dunn/Gunnar with Petro, Dunn/Gunnar with Faulk.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think this makes us a better team this year.

All of my hesitancy and concern is about what this means long term. If we are going this route because we have decided not to pay market value for Petro, then I hate it. This is exactly the type of 'replacement' for Petro I have been worried about when people have talked about Petro not being worth the money. Faulk + $3.5 mil in cap space is not something I wanted to have instead of Petro, especially at the expense of losing a prospect that I am still very high on despite being a long term project.

I'm very, very hopeful that the team is confident that Faulk can play on the left side long term. If the long term plan is a top 4 of Petro, Parayko, Faulk and Dunn then I really like the move. But that's pretty far from a given.

The other piece is the cap implications. We need to shed $1.24 mil to get cap compliant without LTIR. I'm racking my brain to figure out a way to use Foley on the LTIR to get around this, but can't think of a way at the moment. I'm not seeing how we make the cap work unless we are waiving Sanford or making another trade.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm not surprised that Edmundson has been moved. He had four full seasons and we weren't giving him a deal with term, another 40-50 games wasn't going to suddenly make Armstrong comfortable to give him that extension.

$6.5m is what Faulk was expected to get. Not a great deal, but it isn't bad either. He'll be 34 going into the last year of the deal, so it isn't highly likely that we're going to get lots of garbage years. The new American TV deal comes in for 2021/22, that will give the cap a decent bump. So the later years of that deal, $6.5m could be very movable.

I won't read anything into that Pietrangelo situation at this point. We aren't hearing anything, and if there were issues with the extension then I'm sure that would have slipped out from his agents. I still wouldn't be surprised if there was an extension in place before the start of the season.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think my final thoughts all depend on what happens with Petro. Worst case Parayko takes over #1 role and Faulk plays #2. Best-case, Petro resigns at 8-9ish, and we have a great defense.

Reactions: shpongle falls

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It just dawned on me. He'll be in Seattle in 2020-2021. They won't protect him
I'd be very surprised if he agreed to a 7 year extension at that price that didn't include a NMC for at least the period of time covering the Seattle expansion draft (similar to the way Bergie's was structured).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'd be very surprised if he agreed to a 7 year extension at that price that didn't include a NMC for at least the period of time covering the Seattle expansion draft (similar to the way Bergie's was structured).
He gets $18 million in first 2 years, so maybe that was enough incentive to take it.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
The other piece is the cap implications. We need to shed $1.24 mil to get cap compliant without LTIR. I'm racking my brain to figure out a way to use Foley on the LTIR to get around this, but can't think of a way at the moment. I'm not seeing how we make the cap work unless we are waiving Sanford or making another trade.

With Pouliot down, it's only $537, 927

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I am confused
confused.jpeg

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Faulk takes over Petro's contract, so now gotta find the full 9-10 for Petro.

no.... Because Petro's 6.5 is coming off the books. I cannot imagine the Blues giving up on the ONLY captain to lead you to a cup, They have to have a plan, and I would guess they talked to Petro's camp before all this went down. Petro will have a statue in front of the building someday, I am willing to bet on it

Bye Felicia

Apr 26, 2016
This definitely makes the Blues better this year, but going forward, this just doesn't make sense unless Pietrangelo is gone. But even then, why would you sign Faulk to 6.5m/7 instead of giving Pietrangelo a 3m or even 4m raise? I wonder if Army is just that concerned about the PP, but even for that, this move still seems weird.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
no.... Because Petro's 6.5 is coming off the books. I cannot imagine the Blues giving up on the ONLY captain to lead you to a cup, They have to have a plan, and I would guess they talked to Petro's camp before all this went down. Petro will have a statue in front of the building someday, I am willing to bet on it
I hope you're right. You can't think that we would let our Captain walk after he leads us to a cup over some money. I wonder if the Blues think this will help our Power play which was abysmal in the playoffs and nearly led to our demise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad