OT: Fatal bus crash in Westboro

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's more for the responding patrol officers to arrest her at the scene and the chiefs comments mean to me something was fairly readily apparent immediately.

So either officers were able to observe something (obvious impairment) or the (soon to be) accused said something which gave grounds to arrest.

If you showed up and she was saying the bus hit the ice and I lost control, the chief wouldn't be saying "there was something that caused us to arrest her and bring her to the station."

If shes impaired shes getting arrested and transported to the station for a breath analysis (aka breathalyzer / intoxilyzer) or an evaluation by a drug recognition expert .

I could be totally off base of course. She could have said something that indicated intent and malice with no impairment and was arrested for that.

Bottom line is terrorism would have RCMP involvement by now.

Good point.

At this point, I'm leaning more towards the driver simply being so frantic/shocked after the incident, that perhaps they had to remove her from the scene for her own good. Or perhaps passengers/witnesses told police something that led them to take action (speeding, maybe arguing with a passenger/distracted). But, you're right. No possible way it could be malice/terrorism, or anything of that sort.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Good point.

At this point, I'm leaning more towards the driver simply being so frantic/shocked after the incident, that perhaps they had to remove her from the scene for her own good. Or perhaps passengers/witnesses told police something that led them to take action (speeding, maybe arguing with a passenger/distracted). But, you're right. No possible way it could be malice/terrorism, or anything of that sort.

If this were true she wouldn't have been arrested and taken immediately to detachment.

She would have gone to hospital.

So in this case she would have been evaluated on scene by paramedics but was also almost immediately arrested and taken to detachment.

That indicates a clock ticking and again points to impairment.

But I digress. I should stop speculating. She could be charged with impaired or dangerous operation, all the way down to careless driving or distracted driving . We dont know anything.

My condolences to the victims.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It's more for the responding patrol officers to arrest her at the scene and the chiefs comments mean to me something was fairly readily apparent immediately.

So either officers were able to observe something (obvious impairment) or the (soon to be) accused said something which gave grounds to arrest.

If you showed up and she was saying the bus hit the ice and I lost control, the chief wouldn't be saying "there was something that caused us to arrest her and bring her to the station."

If shes impaired shes getting arrested and transported to the station for a breath analysis (aka breathalyzer / intoxilyzer) or an evaluation by a drug recognition expert .

I could be totally off base of course. She could have said something that indicated intent and malice with no impairment and was arrested for that.

Bottom line is terrorism would have RCMP involvement by now.
God I hope it wasn't pot.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The bus driver has been arrested. This suggests terrorism

baffled-gif-10.gif

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
From looking at all the pictures and video in the aftermath of the accident, I notice that the shelter is just beyond a bridge that Buses must travel under, and there appears to be a lot of ice, just past the bridge, that may have been formed from water flowing off the bridge, and onto the transitway between the underpass and the shelter, and right by the curb, that the Bus jumped.

Now, I don't ride public transit that much, but from experience and feedback from those who do, drivers tend to exceed the speed limit, on a regular bassis, while on the Transitway.

Yesterday, with all the ice built up along the part of the transit-way, and the black ice that forms when buses continuously passes over the same spot(s) while either braking or accelerating, with the low temperatures, was NOT a good day to exceed the speed limit.

I'm not suggesting this is the cause, but one of the factors that appears to have been involved from what I saw. I would not rule out distracted driving, but can in no way think that it would be terrorism as suggested.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/three-dead-23-injured-in-serious-bus-crash-at-westboro-station-1.4250207

Reactions: NorthCoast

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ottawa Senators
From looking at all the pictures and video in the aftermath of the accident, I notice that the shelter is just beyond a bridge that Buses must travel under, and there appears to be a lot of ice, just past the bridge, that may have been formed from water flowing off the bridge, and onto the transitway between the underpass and the shelter, and right by the curb, that the Bus jumped.

Now, I don't ride public transit that much, but from experience and feedback from those who do, drivers tend to exceed the speed limit, on a regular bassis, while on the Transitway.

Yesterday, with all the ice built up along the part of the transit-way, and the black ice that forms when buses continuously passes over the same spot(s) while either braking or accelerating, with the low temperatures, was NOT a good day to exceed the speed limit.

I'm not suggesting this is the cause, but one of the factors that appears to have been involved from what I saw. I would not rule out distracted driving, but can in no way think that it would be terrorism as suggested.
The bus doesn't stop at that station because it is an express bus, it should have just passed by. Seems like she didn't make the lane switch in time or didn't realize in time

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Ottawa Senators

The bus doesn't stop at that station because it is an express bus, it should have just passed by. Seems like she didn't make the lane switch in time or didn't realize in time

Yes, I read that earlier.

Just pointed out the build up of ice, between the overpass and the shelter .... and because the source of this ice came from water running off the bridge, there was probably ice on the other side of the bridge as well.

So perhaps the Bus was sliding on ice before passing under the bridge, and then regained traction under the bridge, causing the driver to over adjust, only to hit ice on the other side of the bridge.

Just saying ice must have played a role in this terrible accident.

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
Been a while but I can confirm 100% that the busses speed like crazy on the transitway. Terrible accident of course. Used to love the upper level front row seats for the view. Not so sure now.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Pretty brutal, happened right during rush hour so that station must have been packed. On top of the 3 already dead there will be multiple survivors who have life altering injuries.

Wonder what the deal with the driver is, I assume speeding is the most likely reason the police got involved as those routes don't stop along the transitway.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Pretty brutal, happened right during rush hour so that station must have been packed. On top of the 3 already dead there will be multiple survivors who have life altering injuries.

Wonder what the deal with the driver is, I assume speeding is the most likely reason the police got involved as those routes don't stop along the transitway.

Most likely, the driver was brought in for mandatory drug and alcohol testing.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Feeling for all those affected by the incident, I take that bus occasionally and transitway itself daily, i have noticed most drivers take precaution in that stretch due to the daily construction which changes locations often. Will await more facts but assume driving conditions was the culprit here.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The Police conducted tests yesterday, at the same time of day the accident happened .......... to see if driving west, into the sun, had any influence on the condistions that lead up to the accident.

Plus, in today's paper, there are reports of drivers, in the past, complaining about the drainage pipes, for the bridge above the transit way, just before the station, that allows water runoff to create puddles on the transitway in the summer, and (obviously) ice build up in the winter.

0112_westboro_station_crash.jpg

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Sun would not have been an issue from what I've heard.

They have to check everything, to rule possibilities in or out. Perhaps the Driver said what she felt caused the accident, and mentioned a bunch of things, and the police have to do their due diligence during their investigative process.

Also, in todays' paper , there were comment from other drivers about the upper deck monitors on these Dbl Decker buses are distracting to the driver...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sun would not have been an issue from what I've heard.

I have a west-facing window in my office, and I was wearing sunglasses while working on Friday at that time because the sun was so bright it was coming through the blinds.

I mean... we should probably get new blinds at work, but it was CRAZY bright around that time on friday. Is the reason sun might not have been an issue due to how the transit way covers certain angles thst the sun wouldn't have been able to hit?

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I have a west-facing window in my office, and I was wearing sunglasses while working on Friday at that time because the sun was so bright it was coming through the blinds.

I mean... we should probably get new blinds at work, but it was CRAZY bright around that time on friday. Is the reason sun might not have been an issue due to how the transit way covers certain angles thst the sun wouldn't have been able to hit?

Exactly. My step dad is a top construction guy in the city and he worked there for a good portion of the summer. Said sun wasn't a factor there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad