Fastest Prospects?

Go4Guy

Jun 6, 2006
SOLR said:
I think Kessel is something special in terms of speed. Sometimes hes so fast he can't make any play out of it at his current development stage.(Miss the shot, makes a bad pass). Anyone faster in this draft? I really doubt it.

Jonathan Toews shows some good progress since WJC.(He was already fast for his age, but it seems like he was only lacking muscle strenght)

The interesting thing about Kessels speed is that he was head and shoulders above the other players on the Gophers last year when it came to speed, he would carry so much speed through the neutral zone that he would actually pass all his linemates and end up going into the zone 1 on 2 thus causing a lot of problems for him...But on the other hand, there wasn't one player in college last year that could set-up a powerplay like Kessel....As good as Ryan potulny was last year, it was Kessel that made the powerplay click... his speed and puckhandling in the zone was something else.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Summers has real good speed - something like Hedican. Many defensemen get underrated in the speed department.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
islandermaniac said:
how is brassard elite? in the prospects skills tests he was 33 out of 40 in the 60 foot dash (4 of the 40 are goalies, btw). he was 25 out of 40 in the 150. he was also 25 out of 40 in the lap.

Just like in football, the game is not played running 40 yard dashes under a timed clock under no pressure situations. People have on and off days, conditions can varie, the fact is Brassard is an electric elite skater.

DreamCatcher*

Am I reading it wrong or is 6 foot 4 Jordan Staal is the 2nd fastest skater according to those results?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Untouchable said:
Am I reading it wrong or is 6 foot 4 Jordan Staal is the 2nd fastest skater according to those results?
4th, by my count, behind Sheppard, Calla and Stewart. But these tests can only really tell you so much. Fastest skater in particular is more about top end speed, and less about things like agility and acceleration, which can be just as important and for some things more important. Plus, in the end, they're only numbers for a single time trial. Hardly definitive.

That said, judging by the numbers posted, I'd say Ben Maxwell looks like the best skater of that bunch.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
Good thoughts, although I hesitate to call Pat Peake disappointing. He was well on his way to becoming a good NHL player when he had his horrific heel injury.

My bad. I was not a Caps fan but I can remember thinking this guy could become a huge star and then all of a sudden he was out of the picture. The heel thing would explain why he didn't taper off at all. A regular player in 95-96 and then only 5 more games before retiring.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Untouchable said:
staal is actually really fast. Not incredibly quick, but like his older brother eric, when he gets that engine going he can fly by defenders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad