I would love it if there was an actual best on best tourney every year

Can't see the NHL going for it though

Reactions: SpoolCat

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I would love it if there was an actual best on best tourney every year

Can't see the NHL going for it though
The scenario I see as best for the IIHF and NHL is working together to create a best on best tournament every 4 years...mid season. Which cuts the IOC from the picture and the NHL can actually get a cut of the pie and get in on the marketing of there own players. IIHF can then turn the Olympic tournament into the equivalent of what it is in Soccer. The IOC has always been the biggest problem in this whole thing.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That would certainly cut the IOC out of things and render the Olympics perpetually irrelevant. Not necessarily a bad thing. I would be quite surprised to see the IIHF and the NHL so cozy together long term, but stranger things have happened. Both the NHL and the IIHF are necessary for a best on best, and ideally neither of them would have complete power in organizing the event.

Reactions: Jon Riley

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
That would certainly cut the IOC out of things and render the Olympics perpetually irrelevant. Not necessarily a bad thing. I would be quite surprised to see the IIHF and the NHL so cozy together long term, but stranger things have happened. Both the NHL and the IIHF are necessary for a best on best, and ideally neither of them would have complete power in organizing the event.
It's not the Olympics becoming irrelevant. It's hockey becoming irrelevant. Great PR for the sport.

And comparing the solution for the olympic soccer is not comparable at all to the situation in the NHL. Football has this solution because it already plays a major cup every 2nd year, where leagues shut down for weeks every season.

To compare that with the situation where NHL can't shut down the league for half a week every year on average, is a joke.

Why even discuss a "solution"? Hockey is a fringe sport and will be so for eternity, because it's unfortunately a major American sport, where every sport is pure business. They feel zero responsibility for the society, the society should only contribute to them.

Don't change the olympics. If the US and Canada (THE NHL) don't want to play competitive international hockey, then good riddance. The NHL will uphold their farce of a "World Cup" tournament, where such teams as Team He-Man can try to win gold against Team Golfers.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's not the Olympics becoming irrelevant. It's hockey becoming irrelevant. Great PR for the sport.

I shouldn't have said that the Olympics will become irrelevant. The Olympics will remain relevant, but the Olympic hockey tournament will absolutely become irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad