Farewell to the North, East, and West Divisions

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Hardly knew you. New schedule to be released at 6pm ET Thursday July 22, and teams revert back to their previous divisions, plus Arizona moves to the Central and Seattle goes into the Pacific.

Bring on the Metropolitan, Atlantic, and Pacific divisions again, and the former Central teams back together.

Congratulations to the 2020-2021 division winners.
Scotia North - Toronto Maple Leafs
MassMutual East - Pittsburgh Penguins
Discover Central - Carolina Hurricanes
Honda West - Colorado Avalanche

Raise your banners proudly and know you will be etched into NHL history.

Looking forward to seeing all the teams play each other again and goodbye to the "forced" rivalries.

What happens if it does not go as planned?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I liked these divisions better, tbh, and with everybody playing everybody it would be great. But alas, there are some rivalries that will return, which is great, and some that are leaving us again (Chicago-Detroit), which is not-so great.

I just hope they keep the divisional format and final four playoff system. I much prefer that...it gives us rivalries early in the playoffs, and a wide-open possibility for the final four. I love it.

Oh, and I truly believe Carolina, Nashville, Tampa Bay and Florida should all be in the same division all the time, regardless. Unfortunately, they are scattered all over two conferences now.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Hardly knew you. New schedule to be released at 6pm ET Thursday July 22, and teams revert back to their previous divisions, plus Arizona moves to the Central and Seattle goes into the Pacific.

Bring on the Metropolitan, Atlantic, and Pacific divisions again, and the former Central teams back together.

Congratulations to the 2020-2021 division winners.
Scotia North - Toronto Maple Leafs
MassMutual East - Pittsburgh Penguins
Discover Central - Carolina Hurricanes
Honda West - Colorado Avalanche

Raise your banners proudly and know you will be etched into NHL history.

Looking forward to seeing all the teams play each other again and goodbye to the "forced" rivalries.

Can we just raise our banner before the season with no fans, or players. Also, not bring it up at all in opening night or during the season.

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
I liked these divisions better, tbh, and with everybody playing everybody it would be great. But alas, there are some rivalries that will return, which is great, and some that are leaving us again (Chicago-Detroit), which is not-so great.

I just hope they keep the divisional format and final four playoff system. I much prefer that...it gives us rivalries early in the playoffs, and a wide-open possibility for the final four. I love it.

Oh, and I truly believe Carolina, Nashville, Tampa Bay and Florida should all be in the same division all the time, regardless. Unfortunately, they are scattered all over two conferences now.

Agree on the divisional playoff format sans wild cards, assuming they re-balance the schedule in favour of division rivalries exclusively (would suck for Arizona, though).

With all the talk of expanding the playoffs (I know Bettman denies it, but still), here is what I would do:

76-game regular season (4 games vs Division rivals, 2 games vs everyone else)

After the regular season wraps, the top 3 teams in each Division clinch playoff spots and play a 6-game round robin (3 games vs each other team) that is treated as additional regular season games that add on to their point totals, unless they end up tied, in which case the head-to-head results of these 6 games break the ties.

While this happens, the #4 and #5 seeds in each Division play a best-of-7 play-in series under playoff rules, and the winner faces the team that lands in the #1 slot after the round robin.

Regular playoffs proceed from this point, so even though technically 20 teams "make the playoffs", most only play in the regular 16-team tournament, while the period leading up to the playoffs is full of exciting, high-stakes, rivalry-building games no matter what (this play-in series + round robin structure also allows for approximately 82 games to still be played before the proper playoffs start for all the teams except #6-8 in each division).

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The format fit the circumstance and while the Canadian division was neat on paper, I got bored half way through the season.

Good to bring the pre-Covid alignment (Arizona to Central nothwithstanding) back

Reactions: dukeofjive

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
The format fit the circumstance and while the Canadian division was neat on paper, I got bored half way through the season.

Good to bring the pre-Covid alignment (Arizona to Central nothwithstanding) back
Same. I got bored seeing the same teams. It worked for the circumstance we were in but it sucked compared to normal.

Reactions: dukeofjive

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Wasn't a huge fan of the divisions. I must say I liked the aspect of playing teams multiple times in a row, and often, because it did build some rivalries. Other than that though, it sucked not to play teams like Boston, Washington, even playoff rivals like the Islanders. Plus of course the western teams, if even only once. It was a reasonable temporary solution by the NHL and brought some positives, but I'll welcome back the normal divisions with open arms.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm sure we will all mourn in our own ways.
TZdwMkk.gif

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Now let's see how many of the Canadian teams will make the playoffs and how many points their players will score vs actual NHL defenses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad