FAQ: Going to Anaheim and Honda Center

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Don’t know the proper place to post so I’ll just do it here. I finally got my first ever job, and it’s an usher at the Honda center. Really excited as I’ve been applying for years and never landed anything and I’m so grateful to have my first opportunity be in this environment. Has anyone else here ever worked at the Honda Center?

Congrats on the hire. Former usher here. I didn't have the best of experiences, but hopefully for your sake management is different now.

I was an usher from 2010-2013. The way it was run then, you essentially had 3 main assignments that varied from fixed to fluid: Ticket taker, elevator operator, and vomitory (or "vom" as they called it).

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Reactions: MMC

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Congrats on the hire. Former usher here. I didn't have the best of experiences, but hopefully for your sake management is different now.

I was an usher from 2010-2013. The way it was run then, you essentially had 3 main assignments that varied from fixed to fluid: Ticket taker, elevator operator, and vomitory (or "vom" as they called it).

Happy to answer any questions you may have.
What did you like/not like about it?

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
What did you like/not like about it?

I'll shoot off a couple things:

It's bizarre for me to say this since I'm an introvert, but I really enjoyed the people. Coworkers vary in age and experience so it's quite the melting pot. A lot of them are retirees that just want something to do, but there were also a good amount of college students (I was one at the time). I met one of my best friends there and we eventually became roommates for a couple years.

I'm not sure how it will be for you due to the pandemic, but there used to be a good variety in events so there was something for everyone. The downside of that would be sometimes you get stuck on elevator duty on events you might want to see. In my experience, this worked against me as once management found out I was a Duck fan. They made sure to put me on elevator duty on game days as they thought I wouldn't do my job because I would be too interested in watching the game. I ended up quitting once they passed me up for the 3rd straight year on assigning me a permanent vomitory despite having multiple season seat holders reach out and request me for their section.

One of the worst experiences as a fan happened when Bobby Ryan scored that crazy goal in the playoffs against Nashville. The one where he completely undressed Legwand and went backhand top shelf on Rinne. I was in the concourse heading to the break room when I heard the goal horn, so I had to watch the replay on a TV rather than experience it live. I was a crazy die hard, so I was super peeved I missed it.

You also don't get to watch the games if you're assigned door duty on the club level, but on the bright side there are a good amount of celebrity sightings. Once saw Freddie Prinze Jr. strolling around with a plastic bowl of fruit loops.

At the beginning of every shift you had to park about a mile away from the arena (sometimes in a back lot by Angels stadium) and either walk to HC or wait for a bus to pick you up. I just made the trek on foot since bus pickup times were varied and not scheduled. After you go through security, you would then go down to "wardrobe" where you would pick up your vest, pants, and dress shirt and change in the locker room. You're not allowed to clock in until you're dressed. Hopefully it's different for you, but I would estimate a good hour between arrival and departure go unpaid.

Reactions: Ducks DVM and MMC

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I'll shoot off a couple things:

It's bizarre for me to say this since I'm an introvert, but I really enjoyed the people. Coworkers vary in age and experience so it's quite the melting pot. A lot of them are retirees that just want something to do, but there were also a good amount of college students (I was one at the time). I met one of my best friends there and we eventually became roommates for a couple years.

I'm not sure how it will be for you due to the pandemic, but there used to be a good variety in events so there was something for everyone. The downside of that would be sometimes you get stuck on elevator duty on events you might want to see. In my experience, this worked against me as once management found out I was a Duck fan. They made sure to put me on elevator duty on game days as they thought I wouldn't do my job because I would be too interested in watching the game. I ended up quitting once they passed me up for the 3rd straight year on assigning me a permanent vomitory despite having multiple season seat holders reach out and request me for their section.

One of the worst experiences as a fan happened when Bobby Ryan scored that crazy goal in the playoffs against Nashville. The one where he completely undressed Legwand and went backhand top shelf on Rinne. I was in the concourse heading to the break room when I heard the goal horn, so I had to watch the replay on a TV rather than experience it live. I was a crazy die hard, so I was super peeved I missed it.

You also don't get to watch the games if you're assigned door duty on the club level, but on the bright side there are a good amount of celebrity sightings. Once saw Freddie Prinze Jr. strolling around with a plastic bowl of fruit loops.

At the beginning of every shift you had to park about a mile away from the arena (sometimes in a back lot by Angels stadium) and either walk to HC or wait for a bus to pick you up. I just made the trek on foot since bus pickup times were varied and not scheduled. After you go through security, you would then go down to "wardrobe" where you would pick up your vest, pants, and dress shirt and change in the locker room. You're not allowed to clock in until you're dressed. Hopefully it's different for you, but I would estimate a good hour between arrival and departure go unpaid.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Not being able to watch Ducks games was definitely a big concern but with how bad they are I'm not sure how much that will really disappoint me :laugh:. They explained I would also be having to do the same 3 roles you had to, elevator is probably definitely the least appealing to me. How many hours did you typically get a week? That's probably my biggest concern, not being able to get as many hours as I'd like, or be able to with any other job.

I'm still pretty shocked I got this, because I'd been applying for months without really hearing back from anyone, but I saw Honda Center was having a job fair on their Twitter and I showed up not really expecting much. The guy seemed pretty happy that I was a Ducks fan and had gone to multiple events, I don't know if they were just having a lack of applicants who were familiar with the arena but it seemed to work in my favor. The guy originally said I would hear back by the end of this week or beginning of next, but after we wrapped things up he told me to stay for a few minutes while he went and did something, and when he came back he said he could offer it to me on the spot. I wonder if him going somewhere was asking if he could just offer it to me? Either way I'm a bit nervous as it's my first job but I feel like this is an environment that will be much more fun for me than something like fast food

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Thanks for sharing your experience. Not being able to watch Ducks games was definitely a big concern but with how bad they are I'm not sure how much that will really disappoint me :laugh:. They explained I would also be having to do the same 3 roles you had to, elevator is probably definitely the least appealing to me. How many hours did you typically get a week? That's probably my biggest concern, not being able to get as many hours as I'd like, or be able to with any other job.

I'm still pretty shocked I got this, because I'd been applying for months without really hearing back from anyone, but I saw Honda Center was having a job fair on their Twitter and I showed up not really expecting much. The guy seemed pretty happy that I was a Ducks fan and had gone to multiple events, I don't know if they were just having a lack of applicants who were familiar with the arena but it seemed to work in my favor. The guy originally said I would hear back by the end of this week or beginning of next, but after we wrapped things up he told me to stay for a few minutes while he went and did something, and when he came back he said he could offer it to me on the spot. I wonder if him going somewhere was asking if he could just offer it to me? Either way I'm a bit nervous as it's my first job but I feel like this is an environment that will be much more fun for me than something like fast food

The hours for me were extremely inconsistent because they were entirely dependent upon the scheduling of events. You get the most consistent work during homestands. They would keep shift lengths to about 5 1/2 hours so they don't have to break you for lunch. So you're probably averaging 20-26 or so hours a week, give or take depending on whether there is a concert or another event scheduled. That wildly varies, of course. Some weeks I'd work 6-12 hours, others 36-40.

In the offseason I would work essentially 2 events in two months because there wasn't anything scheduled. Then the circus came to town and I'd end up pulling 14 hour shifts 5 times a week because they'd do 3 shows a day (morning, afternoon, and evening). It was nice for overtime pay, but man it gets old fast seeing the same exact show and hearing the same exact songs over and over.

I've worked at Chik-fil-A and also at Zpizza and there are pros and cons in comparison to being an usher. More consistent hours, free food, faster pace working environment, etc.

The cool thing about elevator duty is you do end up seeing a lot of players, management, and celebrities. Downside are the farts, boredom, and hearing the same joke over and over again:

"Where to?"
"The 400 level, where the real fans are!"
"Good one, sir."

People also try to get to the club level or the sublevel near the locker rooms without having proper access.

Reactions: MMC

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So looks like I will be attending the Vegas and Calgary games Dec 1st and 3rd. Still trying to iron out my travel plans with my family. Hopefully Covid doesn’t change things. So if you are there let’s meet up, first round of drinks on me! I think we are going to need a lot of drinks this season. Lol.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
So looks like I will be attending the Vegas and Calgary games Dec 1st and 3rd. Still trying to iron out my travel plans with my family. Hopefully Covid doesn’t change things. So if you are there let’s meet up, first round of drinks on me! I think we are going to need a lot of drinks this season. Lol.
I got season tickets remind me closer

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just got my tickets for Dec. Honda Center is a lot easier on the wallet than MSG, lol.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Also as of now they say they are only in place until November 1, but that they will extend at any time (I would be shocked if this mandate ended before 2022)

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I will show whatever they want to get in.

Vaccine card, digital vaccine card, proof of ducks fandom with 3 references and photo of my jersey collection!

I do feel bad for people with children and season tickets. That's a lot of testing for a person who isn't eligible for the vaccine yet. I get it though - public health takes precedent over convenience.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have my trip all set for Dec. I knew this could be a requirement. Doing it in NYC already so am used to it. Right now , you need to show proof when you go into all restaurants, gyms, theaters, and etc. Have my card and the pass on my phone as well. So am ready to go.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I have a question is anyone else a season ticket holder? I have a question about the "free hat" coupon apparently you get to pick a hat and they embroider something on it.... does anyone know if you can pick literally any hat in the team store is it a select selection?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I have a question is anyone else a season ticket holder? I have a question about the "free hat" coupon apparently you get to pick a hat and they embroider something on it.... does anyone know if you can pick literally any hat in the team store is it a select selection?
According to the terms, you are allowed to select any hat in the store that isn’t a knit or a beanie.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
According to the terms, you are allowed to select any hat in the store that isn’t a knit or a beanie.
Did you do it? What did they put on the hat?

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Did you do it? What did they put on the hat?
I didn’t yet because my friend talked to one of the employees, and he said that they are going to get new hats in stock once the regular season starts. Supposedly the ones in there now are from last season.

If you want, you can have them put an Orange Alliance patch on the hat. But you don’t have to.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
How strict are they on the 4" x 5" sized wallet? That's sort of ridiculously small. Most women's wallets are larger than this. My cell phone case wristlet is about 3.5" x 6,5" and would technically not be allowed even though it is a not a bag/purse.

DigiDuck

More covfefe please.
Jan 11, 2019
Burbank
Just got a ticket for Sunday to witness Getz pass Teemu (hey, let's be optimistic). First game at HC since 2015. Dunno about the rest of you, but I'm excited.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just got a ticket for Sunday to witness Getz pass Teemu (hey, let's be optimistic). First game at HC since 2015. Dunno about the rest of you, but I'm excited.

0209381F-C71E-417A-A128-50D5DF6BD9DD.gif

Reactions: DigiDuck

darkdays

Apr 18, 2018
Anyone can't make it to the December 15th (Kraken) game? Want to take my daughter to her first hockey game and just checking here in here before all the big sites. Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->