Fantasy Question

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
No point trying to look like it's anything different - I have a fantasy question.

I have the opportunity to trade for Yakupov at a reasonable price. Probably at 60% of what he'd be worth when he was the 1st overall pick.

Where do Oilers fans stand on whether this is a smart deal or not?

Is Yakupov more likely to:

A. Go the way of Zherdev or Filatov, where he is mis-utilized, perhaps overated, certainly not developed properly and he heads home.

B. Doesn't become a dominant and consistent top line player, but has some flashes as a decent enigma like a Semin or Samsonov

C. Becomes within 10% everthing he was drafted to be. A top line 40-45 goal, 80-90 point top line electric winger.

I'm hoping it's atleast halfway between B and C.

But I'd like to know your opinion.

If Yakupov were to get dealt do you think he'd still stay in the NHL? How committed is he to win in North America? Or where would you gauge the danger of him feeling the allure of home?

Thanks for any and all responses!

Last edited:

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
I think it's somewhere between B and C as well.

His drive is top notch and willingness to do what's right for the team is better than the guys he's often lumped in with.

It's the coaching and development of our system that's killing him.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I think it's somewhere between B and C as well.

His drive is top notch and willingness to do what's right for the team is better than the guys he's often lumped in with.

It's the coaching and development of our system that's killing him.

Hmm thanks for the input.

I do feel like MacT doesn't quite lump Yak in with the core players of Hall, Ebs, RNH, Schultz, Nurse, Klefb...

It think on another NHL team Nail could really pan out.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
As someone whose in a hardcore, 30-team salary-cap keeper league, I'm going to be going hard after Yakupov. Why? This is as low as his value is ever going to be.

Worst time to trade him if you own him

Matt Duchene had 14 goals, 14 assists in his 3rd full season.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Right now is probably the best time to trade for yak! I can see him being a 20-25 Scorer in his 4th-5th year.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
As someone whose in a hardcore, 30-team salary-cap keeper league, I'm going to be going hard after Yakupov. Why? This is as low as his value is ever going to be.

Exactly. I've got him in one of my keeper pools, and I've made it very clear I'm not going to give him away. If you can pick him up cheap, I'd go for it

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

He played less than 60 games in that season and had dropped almost 70 points in his second season. Pretty poor comparison.

This IS the perfect time to target Yakupov of course, due to his low value, but I'd think long and hard about who exactly is being traded away to get him. His future is still pretty murky.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Had a ridiculous shooting percentage in year one, so there were signs a sophomore slump could have been coming, but the guy is a fantastic talent, so we certainly didn't expect it.

Part of the problem was his usage on the powerplay, which was nill. If he gets back on it and lights it up, he's going to be an amazing fantasy asset.

Minimum, he's probably going to get at least 40 points next year as the Oilers are forced to use him more often with Hemsky gone. Now would be the time to grab him even if he ends up as a Semin, because Semin still is a valuable fantasy asset himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad