Fantasy Mock Draft v3 - Idea Solicitation

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I am loyal to LT

qkTcchA.gif

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Since LT is asking for people's ideas and preferences. I've done too many of these drafts over the years, but I've realized that too many unique rules can make it a bit too gimmicky so my suggestions would just be:

• If we're allowing draft pick trades, definitely have a limit for the maximum number of draft pick trades allowed. Some people are able to stack their teams by making 3-5 smart draft pick trades which ruins the balance of the league. Also, this will make life easier for LT since he won't have to update the draft pick order 100 times. Player for player trades should be unlimited, those are pretty rare anyway.

• I'm fine with maybe having one side trophy for who's team would win the most cups or playoff series over the next 5 years or something like that, maybe that can just be a single vote type of thing done by only the 31 league members(and you can't vote for self obviously) since I don't trust the HFPoll section to care enough to look into every player's contract/age/production. I think everyone's main focus should be on the same thing, it would feel weird to not sweat it out the pick before yours if the guy before you is loading up on 20 year olds to win the prospects trophy while you're trying to win now.

• Another issue with the prospects/rebuild trophy, and I can't speak for everyone, but I assume a good chunk of us are only aware of bluechip prospects and don't follow prospects enough to know about the non-1st rounders lighting it up for other team's prospect pools so voting is going to be much more uninformed compared to the voting done for the Stanley Cup Winner. For example, a lot of Kings fans didn't realize that Tyler Madden was considered a top 5 prospect for the Canucks before being traded for Toffoli.

• I like the idea of a lower cap since cap issues seem to be non-existent in both drafts so far, I think 70M is a bit drastic, Joey had it at 79.5M but even that wasn't a really tough challenge so I'd say 75M for a 20 man roster is the sweet spot, but if you want to set it for 70M I think that would make for some fun as well since guys like Skinner/Kessel would probably fall pretty far down the draft board.

• I love the idea of rewarding self-restricted teams with some extra cap space as long as they don't break their restriction and the restriction is an actual challenge.

I think the combination of a lower cap, draft pick trades, rewarding restricted teams and voting on who would win the most cups/playoff series over the next 5 years(as a bonus) is different enough from Joey's draft to keep things interesting without getting too gimmicky.

I like all of these ideas.

Reactions: Nucker101

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I’ve got it.

- make it a very tight cap ($70M, maybe even less ?)
- as you make your first pick, you can announce your constraint. If you do, your cap is $75M. Constraints have to be serious enough. Joey’s categories are a good basis for that.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
So can we do this with 32 teams where we know our opponents ahead, and a lower cap, AND the trade cap. Cause major chaos. I want to see Panda build to fight someone specific, it'd be hilarious watching people snipe guys if they know who they're facing. If it was 32 teams though you may want to open it up for sign ups now (I want Toronto tho dibs, I build better with them, unless we did custom team names).

So my official proposition:
  • 32 team league, full tournament style but where we know our bracket before drafting even starts to create drama and snipes
  • 23 players so we can grab extras according to who we face (i.e. I face @AveryStar4Eva I likely want some more nastiness but against @LatvianTwist I'd likely want some extra speed from seeing what you both build) so people can strategize
  • The trade cap so people have to be creative about them, say 5 trades, 1 pick and 2 player max, multi team trades permitted, salary retention like make it creative
  • Lower cap, 75 million so players DROP and we still need 23 players, but a floor of 60 million so people can't ELC horde and have to take some of these big deals
Bonus (don't think these work but just ideas):
Could say no going D + D/C + C/LW + LW back to back for extra strategy, say you need one 2019/20 rookie minimum, or some kind of creative way to determine draft order

Regardless I think it'd be fun to see the opponents known ahead and some extra drama created, and the clock reduces every 5 rounds

We're seeing people strategize more and more according to other people so this would make it hard but still about the same amount of time consuming.

Edit: Oh and can lists be mandatory

Updated

Last edited:
Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
So can we do this with 32 teams where we know our opponents ahead, and a lower cap, AND the trade cap. Cause major chaos. I want to see Panda build to fight someone specific, it'd be hilarious watching people snipe guys if they know who they're facing. If it was 32 teams though you may want to open it up for sign ups now (I want Toronto tho dibs, I build better with them, unless we did custom team names).

So my official proposition:
  • 32 team league, full tournament style but where we know our bracket before drafting even starts to create drama and snipes
  • 23 players so we can grab extras according to who we face (i.e. I face @AveryStar4Eva I likely want some more nastiness but against @LatvianTwist I'd likely want some extra speed from seeing what you both build) so people can strategize
  • The trade cap so people have to be creative about them, say 7 trades, 1 pick and 1 player max, multi team trades permitted, salary retention like make it creative
  • Lower cap, 75 million so players DROP and we still need 23 players, but a floor of 60 million so people can't ELC horde and have to take some of these big deals
Bonus (don't think these work but just ideas):
Could say no going D + D/C + C/LW + LW back to back for extra strategy, say you need one 2019/20 rookie minimum, or some kind of creative way to determine draft order

Regardless I think it'd be fun to see the opponents known ahead and some extra drama created, and the clock reduces every 5 rounds

We're seeing people strategize more and more according to other people so this would make it hard but still about the same amount of time consuming.
I really like the idea of the bracket tbh. I’m down for all the proposed but as someone who’s done many trade drafts (and I enjoy them more than most), I think maybe 5 trades max is the sweet spot. 2 players 1 pick max.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I really like the idea of the bracket tbh. I’m down for all the proposed but as someone who’s done many trade drafts (and I enjoy them more than most), I think maybe 5 trades max is the sweet spot. 2 players 1 pick max.
@Tryamkin man I'd like to see you and me in the same trade draft... you have no clue how much I tried to do last time lol. But yes bracket + 5 trade max + bigger roster and lower cap is what I really want, I think it'd create for some people to sweat a bit more. The bigger rosters are mostly for strategy according to opponent.

Reactions: Tryamkin

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think instead of limiting the number of trades, I’d rather limit total assets traded.

3 picks can be traded as picks per GM.

5 players per GM.

If someone wants to do that all in one fell swoop, have at it.

Reactions: Nucker101 and m0pe

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I think instead of limiting the number of trades, I’d rather limit total assets traded.

3 picks can be traded as picks per GM.

5 players per GM.

If someone wants to do that all in one fell swoop, have at it.
AHHHHHH three picks! Oh dear I'm screwed

As long as we get the bracket though

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Will be sitting this one out. Don’t like the restrictions. I get it but I feel like it should be either entirely open or entirely closed and not some in between.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Will be sitting this one out. Don’t like the restrictions. I get it but I feel like it should be either entirely open or entirely closed and not some in between.
Yeah I don't love the part involving the restrictions on trading being so low nor bonus cap space and the best team for the future unless its best balance of "now AND in the future" but whatever I'll play, its fun and I reallyyy like the 32 team bracket style aspect where we know ahead. But some people will basically get byes due to the restrictions. My teams are sent in and fingers crossed I get my first choice this time.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I don't like that player trades can't be made until after the draft tbh, kinda takes the fun and risk out of it.
Yeah, the trades part just seems too in-between but not my rules, I'm glad @LatvianTwist is running one. I'd like to see 23 man rosters so we can adjust according to opponent.

Hypothetically say my 1st round opponent makes a player trade totally adjusting their team build in draft you'd see a ripple effect whereas now it's eliminated. If @LatvianTwist wants to open up trades a little bit more, I can man keeping track of all of them to help take the load off.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I’m going for win-now lol, there’s just too much bias and guesswork involved with voting on future winners.
I'll try and balance it. I don't typically like to build super old anyways if I can help it. I'm curious how to balance both bracket and draft order though, it'll be a reallll challenge and cool case study if draft slot 1 randomly faces draft slot 31.

@Panda Bear's poor round 1 opponent better be able to stand up for themselves (if he does it (please do))

Reactions: Nucker101

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Yeah I don't love the part involving the restrictions on trading being so low nor bonus cap space and the best team for the future unless its best balance of "now AND in the future" but whatever I'll play, its fun and I reallyyy like the 32 team bracket style aspect where we know ahead. But some people will basically get byes due to the restrictions. My teams are sent in and fingers crossed I get my first choice this time.

No one has to take on any restriction. We've only had three in two games. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see no one take on one.

Also, I don't like trading in these games, but it seems popular. I think it turns it from a draft into more of a normal GM game and I think the two are very fundamentally different.

Future winner is just a small side accomplishment. It'd be pretty foolish to build a team around solely trying to win that, IMO.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
No one has to take on any restriction. We've only had three in two games. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see no one take on one.

Also, I don't like trading in these games, but it seems popular. I think it turns it from a draft into more of a normal GM game and I think the two are very fundamentally different.

Future winner is just a small side accomplishment. It'd be pretty foolish to build a team around solely trying to win that, IMO.

Why not keep the same no trades win now game with tighter cap and bracket?

Reactions: FanofBadHockeyTeam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->