Fantasy Mock Draft v3 - Idea Solicitation

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Pretty much every fantasy draft we do works like that.
But it’s a lot different when you’re projecting how someone will be in 5 years vs picking for now.

I would do this draft but like nucker said I doubt I’d care for the prospects at all.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Idea since picks 32-61 are usually the same caliber of players, how about the team picking 31st goes 1st in rounds 2 and 3, than just go on with the regular snake draft from there.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'd be down for a hockey pool format to spice things up a bit. Points for different categories such as goals, assists, pims, etc. Drafting for the 2020-2021 season with the winner being the one with the most points at the conclusion of the 2020-2021 season. This would allow players such as Lafreniere, Romanov, etc to be available in the drafting process, adding a whole new element to the game

Reactions: Nucker101

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
would make these drafts way more balanced, you're seeing teams being able to walkout with McDavid and Hall/Tarasenko then also have the top picks in round 3...

That is true, but the range from ~8-20 is all pretty similar, and those teams picking early would get screwed over pretty bad.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'd be down for a hockey pool format to spice things up a bit. Points for different categories such as goals, assists, pims, etc. Drafting for the 2020-2021 season with the winner being the one with the most points at the conclusion of the 2020-2021 season. This would allow players such as Lafreniere, Romanov, etc to be available in the drafting process, adding a whole new element to the game
I doubt many people would follow that during the year but I'm always in for keeper league style drafts.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

I don't see this level of interest being maintained over a full year.

If we could do this and run an EHM/NHL20 simulation, absolutely. Unfortunately I don't have access to either of those.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Here is my proposal.
It was done in the past with huge success.
Kept drafting important, but had trade elements.

1 - No trades for the first 5 Rounds of drafting.
2 - Maximum 5 Trades per Draft
3 - Maximum 1 pick allowed in a single trade
4 - Maximum 2 players allowed in a single trade.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Since LT is asking for people's ideas and preferences. I've done too many of these drafts over the years, but I've realized that too many unique rules can make it a bit too gimmicky so my suggestions would just be:

• If we're allowing draft pick trades, definitely have a limit for the maximum number of draft pick trades allowed. Some people are able to stack their teams by making 3-5 smart draft pick trades which ruins the balance of the league. Also, this will make life easier for LT since he won't have to update the draft pick order 100 times. Player for player trades should be unlimited, those are pretty rare anyway.

• I'm fine with maybe having one side trophy for who's team would win the most cups or playoff series over the next 5 years or something like that, maybe that can just be a single vote type of thing done by only the 31 league members(and you can't vote for self obviously) since I don't trust the HFPoll section to care enough to look into every player's contract/age/production. I think everyone's main focus should be on the same thing, it would feel weird to not sweat it out the pick before yours if the guy before you is loading up on 20 year olds to win the prospects trophy while you're trying to win now.

• Another issue with the prospects/rebuild trophy, and I can't speak for everyone, but I assume a good chunk of us are only aware of bluechip prospects and don't follow prospects enough to know about the non-1st rounders lighting it up for other team's prospect pools so voting is going to be much more uninformed compared to the voting done for the Stanley Cup Winner. For example, a lot of Kings fans didn't realize that Tyler Madden was considered a top 5 prospect for the Canucks before being traded for Toffoli.

• I like the idea of a lower cap since cap issues seem to be non-existent in both drafts so far, I think 70M is a bit drastic, Joey had it at 79.5M but even that wasn't a really tough challenge so I'd say 75M for a 20 man roster is the sweet spot, but if you want to set it for 70M I think that would make for some fun as well since guys like Skinner/Kessel would probably fall pretty far down the draft board.

• I love the idea of rewarding self-restricted teams with some extra cap space as long as they don't break their restriction and the restriction is an actual challenge.

I think the combination of a lower cap, draft pick trades, rewarding restricted teams and voting on who would win the most cups/playoff series over the next 5 years(as a bonus) is different enough from Joey's draft to keep things interesting without getting too gimmicky.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad