Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
SALARY CAP: $60,000,000 - $80,000,000
TRADES: None
DRAFT ORDER: Randomized
DRAFT TYPE: Snake draft with a twist

If you are interested in joining this, send me a PM with your top 3 teams you would like to take. This draft will begin shortly after the current one has completed.

This draft will be similar to the last one in that you are trying to draft a team that wins this season. The caveat is that you will not be able to select just any player per pick. I have organized 620 players into 20 different categories (31 F/D/G in each). You will only be able to pick one player from each category and you must pick the players that are available in these categories even if you don't want them. There are no restrictions on the order you decide to choose from. The categories are as follows;

EUROPEAN FORWARDS (Russian and Finnish)
Headliners: Ovechkin, Kucherov, Panarin

SWEDISH FORWARDS
Headliners: Pettersson, Zibanejad, Backstrom

REST OF WORLD FORWARDS (Germany, Switzerland, Czech, Latvia, Slovenia, France, Slovakia)
Headliners: Draisaitl, Kopitar, Ehlers

QMJHL FORWARDS
Headliners: MacKinnon, Huberdeau, Couturier

OHL FORWARDS
Headliners: Scheifele, Tavares, Seguin

WHL FORWARDS
Headliners: Point, Stone, Barzal

NON-CANADIAN CHL FORWARDS
Headliners: P. Kane, Svechnikov, M. Tkachuk

NCAA FORWARDS
Headliners: Toews, Pacioretty, Kreider

USHL FORWARDS
Headliners: Eichel, Gaudreau, Guentzel

30+ FORWARDS
Headliners: Crosby, Bergeron, Stamkos

U23 FORWARDS

Headliners: McDavid, Pastrnak, Matthews

MYSTERY BOX FORWARDS (No particular category other than to keep things balanced)
Headliners: Barkov, Hall, O'Reilly

EUROPEAN DEFENSEMAN
Headliners: Josi, Hedman, E. Karlsson

OHL DEFENSEMAN
Headliners: Carlson, Pietrangelo, Hamilton

WHL/QMJHL DEFENSEMAN
Headliners: Jones, Rielly, Weber

NCAA DEFENSEMAN
Headliners: Suter, Slavin, Krug

30+ DEFENSEMAN
Headliners: Burns, Giordano, Letang

U23 DEFENSEMAN
Headliners: Makar, Hughes, Heiskanen

STARTING GOALTENDERS (Based on GP this season)

BACKUP GOALTENDERS (Based on GP this season)

Each category has players of different skill levels. You should not see players like Kassian being drafted ahead of Nugent-Hopkins for example. I have put in a lot of time to make sure categories with high top end talent lack depth and those with average high end talent (such as NCAA Forwards) do have depth. Every player that was drafted in the first 16 rounds of our current league is available to be selected. There may be some new depth players introduced in certain categories to follow the theme. On top of this, most categories have dead weight players that you do not want to be stuck with (Seabrook, Lucic, Eriksson etc) providing an extra layer to this game.

As the draft moves forward it will become more clear which players you may be able to snipe in the later rounds. There will be more involvement with this draft because you should be paying attention to what other teams are doing and knowing which players will not be available to those teams. For example, if there are two players left in a certain category (Seabrook and Polak) and you know the other team who needs to pick from this category has cap issues you can force that person into taking Seabrook restricting their future picks even more. Your strategy can go a number of ways.

If you are the last team to select from a certain category I will automatically move that player to your last available pick. So for example if we are in the 10th round and 30/31 U23 forwards have been selected but you still need that category, I auto draft the last player left as your 20th round pick. You know you are stuck with that player so you do not have to use your 10th round pick on them.

Full document will be released showing every player available to take when we are ready to begin the draft. You can PM me your top 3 teams in order of preference if you are interested in joining. Certain rules may be tweaked before we begin. I wanted to generate some interest in this draft as we are nearly finished the other.

In the mean time this thread will stay locked.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Anaheim - BoldNewLettuce
Arizona - Joey Moss
Boston -
Buffalo - m0pe (2)
Calgary - Kent Nilsson
Carolina - Joey Moss (2)
Chicago - Makaveli
Colorado - BumDum
Columbus - Blinny
Dallas - LatvianTwist(2)
Detroit - Kent Nilsson (2)
Edmonton - Llamamoto49
Florida - FanOfBadHockeyTeam
Los Angeles -
Minnesota - belair
Montreal - OB5
Nashville - PaulBissonnette
New Jersey - AveryStars4Eva
NY Islanders - JonnyGraz
NY Rangers - Paralyzer008
Ottawa - Peter Griffin
Philadelphia - PandaBear(2)
Pittsburgh - m0pe
San Jose - SJSharks39
St. Louis - hockeynorth (2)
Tampa Bay - BeLeafing(2)
Toronto - hockeynorth
Vancouver - Retinalz
Vegas - BeLeafing
Washington - LatvianTwist
Winnipeg - Panda Bear

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
hypppeeeed...hopefully we get enough. should be a good one with the twist if we can get it going.
Seems almost full, 13 spots left isn’t bad. Not sure how to strategize for this. I feel like an early pick is definitely a clearer benefit here though

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Trading would probably defeat the purpose of the game
Yeah, even if not I kind of want to see what I can do tradeless like some GMs last time for a new kind of challenge though I haven’t settled on that yet. I can see it working though especially if say one GM has picked from the category with the most high end guys left but one hasn’t, the one who hasn’t would want to trade up but the other GM would rather not get stuck with too many middling players (cause it’s in theory possible all of one category is gone in a round or still there at some point) so they’d trade back to be sure they don’t get autod too many. Lots of possible strategies either which way.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Come on only 12 left, we can fill that.

Also um... is there trading?

It says in the OP "None".

If there is trading, I'll probably sit out for this one. it defeats the point of a fantasy draft IMO.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
When I post a link that’s how the google sheet displays. You need to click on the page to open it in sheets.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
@Joey Moss ,

I’m going to be honest. When I heard of this ‘categories’ draft idea, I wasn’t too thrilled. However, after seeing the amount of work that you’ve put into this, and seeing the overall “picture” of what this would entail, I’m really interested in this now. I’m still pressed for time (participating in this latest draft was very time consuming and delayed me on some outside projects that I’m working on), but I *might* be interested in participating.

Let’s do this:

1) I won’t sign up right now and will let 31 other contestants try and sign up.

2) If you are sitting at 30 teams and need one more, then don’t hesitate to contact me and I’ll see what I can do in terms of joining.

Great work and great concept!

Reactions: Llamamoto49
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad