Fantasy Hockey pool guides 2017-2018

heaslipg

Oct 17, 2006
So first you pretend to be an ordinary joe that's been buying the Prime Pucks guide for years and then it turns out you're actually one of the writers/partners? Bizarre and off-putting.

Haha, I totally missed that... that is rather odd.

"I just bought Primepucks guide"
"I've been buying Primepucks guide for 7 years"
"I work for Primepucks, email me at my Primepucks email for more information!"

:handclap:

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
So first you pretend to be an ordinary joe that's been buying the Prime Pucks guide for years and then it turns out you're actually one of the writers/partners? Bizarre and off-putting.

Right from the first post it was obvious that person works for them.

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
I have bought my own Guide every year. Two reasons. First to ensure that the process is working correctly. Secondly, just like when I bought my first fantasy hockey magazines back in 1994, the Hockey News and Forecaster, there is always the excitement of opening up something new to see what information is in there. Every August & September during my lunch hour I would walk to the newsstand in hopes of a new magazine and the thrill that came with discovering one I had never seen before.

Truly wasn't my intention to mislead, and if I offended anyone, my sincere apologies.

Ray

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
No problem, would you say the other team reviews are as comprehensive?

Each team has it's own page. Same format.

I would gladly send you a past Fantasy Guide for you to look at. There's about 65+ pages

Let me know. PM me your email address if you'd like.

Ray

Pepsi

Mar 30, 2005
Can someone enlighten me on what these magazines possess that you can't access for free?

Can't speak for everyone, but here is my perspective.

It is really the same reason a person buys any type of magazine. There are all kinds of magazines out there (gossip, fitness, etc)...for every topic, you could find similar information for free by browsing the internet, but you still choose to by a magazine. It is nice to have everything in one place. I read a lot about hockey and in the summer, when there is not a lot of hockey news and a magazine comes out, I can't wait to grab my favourite (it only comes out once a year)...it's a great read and I can take it with me camping or outside relaxing.

I typically buy Dobber, The Forecaster and sometimes another one. I also read the free stuff. I enjoy reading and I gather as much information as I can because I am looking for some type of advantage in my pool. Dobber (and some others) offer very indepth stats/trends/information. It helps me feel prepared going into a draft for my pool. I always do well in my pools...whether it is my own knowledge from watching games and reading free stuff, or knowledge I gain from reading the magazines, I'm not sure...but I do attribute atleast some of it to the magazines...especially because I read about all teams.(My pleasure reading of free stuff tends to focus on my favourite team). Also, Dobber updates stats and information based on trades, rookies, lines, injuries, etc (all in one place), but even for the magazines like The Forecaster, I enjoy going back to the magazine after a trade happens later in the year and read the scouting reports...It's fun!

Last edited:

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
Can someone enlighten me on what these magazines possess that you can't access for free?

In my case, when I first started in the fantasy hockey world back in 1994, I would buy magazines for information. Then as I amassed knowledge of players outside of the NY Rangers and Islanders from years of participating in fantasy hockey, I would form my own opinions and analysis on players. It was then that I would look for magazines that would confirm my own analysis or if different, hopefully provide a reason for me to change my opinion on said player.

Over the years I searched and searched for some magazine, website or person who thought similar to me. Then I found Dobber. He was as close to my way of thinking and analyzing that I used him to compare my predictions and analysis.

So, in essence, I buy magazines and other material as a comparison.

Last edited:

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
I dont know about the english one, but french version is out.

20170804_190254_zpsykkgkizd.jpg

Pepsi

Mar 30, 2005
So basically nothing.

Just checking.

I guess it depends on your perspective. Sometimes people spend a little money on things that interest them.

I suppose most of the information you could gather from a variety of free places...can you tell me one website that offers indepth information about every team, projections for hundreds of players, and articles about rookies/breakthrough players for free?

Last edited:

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
I've never bought either the Dobber or Left Wing Lock fantasy projections kit. For those that have, could you give me a quick breakdown of what you think of it. The pros and cons of each maybe? If you had to choose 1, which would you recommend?

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
I've never bought either the Dobber or Left Wing Lock fantasy projections kit. For those that have, could you give me a quick breakdown of what you think of it. The pros and cons of each maybe? If you had to choose 1, which would you recommend?

Bought the Dobber version. 190 pages of goodness, with lots of info to go throughout.

Last edited:

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary

Dobber because of the spreadsheet projections of over 200 players.

McStimperi

Apr 6, 2012
Finland

Dobber is easier to use, and is more heavy on the players and projections, where LWL focuses more on strategies etc. Dobbers is very readable and enjoyable for hockey in general.

Deebs

Let's swim to the moon
Feb 5, 2014
Dobber because of the spreadsheet projections of over 200 players.

Dobber is easier to use, and is more heavy on the players and projections, where LWL focuses more on strategies etc. Dobbers is very readable and enjoyable for hockey in general.

Yeah I bought the Dobber version and it has around 700 player projections. Has all the write ups on the teams and some tidbits on certain players, then it has the excel spreadsheet for projections which can be sorted from numerous categories.

$12 well spent.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Depends on what you like.

First time buying Dobber and I really like the actual guide part, projections are good as well just not as easy to navigate unless you are in a point only type league as you have to switch tabs to see hits or block stats.

LWL The guide itself is very statistics heavy so unless you like that its not as enjoyable to read. I do enjoy some of the sections though and its interesting to see the statistcal reason why a player might regress, but its best part is the excel sheet they use. You can insert your league settings (H2H , rotisserie etc, all of your stats/weighting of each one) and it changes the ranking of players "value" based on their projected stats.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Has anyone spotted mags on the shelves in the GTA? Would think THN has shipped to a number of stores and maybe a few have put them up early.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
Has anyone spotted mags on the shelves in the GTA? Would think THN has shipped to a number of stores and maybe a few have put them up early.

French version has been out for a week now in Quebec, i dont know if the english one is out yet. I guess it should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->