Schedule:
Dobber - August 1
THN - First or second week of August
The Forecaster - Mid to late August
Sportsnet - Mid to late August

Last edited:

heaslipg

Oct 17, 2006
I love the Dobber projections...great for the Standard + Hits keeper league I'm in.

Really interested in his projections on Tkachuk and Trouba this season. How much if any jump in Tkachuk in year 2 and how much for Trouba after playing only 60 gms last season.

Can't wait!!

McStimperi

Apr 6, 2012
Finland
Dobber, even though I probably will not be drafting this fall in any leagues. It is such a good read in general, with all the prospect probabilities and upsides etc.

Pepsi

Mar 30, 2005
Has anyone used NHL Trade Rumors, Daily Faceoff, Ultimate Pool Preview, or bought the magazine POOLER GUIDE?

I am in hockey pools (points only...not a fantasy league), so I am interested in scouting reports, articles, and realistic point projections. I like Dobber (both the articles and projections). I also like the Forecaster (articles, not point projections).

I bought LWL last year and I found it difficult to navigate, so I probably won't buy it this year. I am also not a fan of Sportsnet. I am open to hearing your opinion of other guides though.

Also, has anyone tried to rank last year's resources? (http://fantasyref.ca/rankings/)

Last edited:

McHandsomeDoc

Jul 28, 2006
Edmonton
So yesterday I hit up the shell station next to my work 'cause I seem to recall magazines hitting the shelves on Tuesday, and saw the Pooler's Guide! Yess!! So I bought it without even thinking and then when I got home I realized IT WAS LAST YEARS COPY!!! What the hell do they still have like TEN copies of that on the shelf for??!?! I always thought they had a "display until" date!! Anyways it's my own fault for not even looking at the cover fully, but still :S

My go-to mags (and I've always preferred hard copy) were Forecaster and McKeens (Actually the best ever was the ol' Hockey Pool Guide Book). I get them all anyways, but I always preferred those two mags for their individual player write-ups.* All of the mags have various interesting articles, and I like to get each one's individual thoughts on the rookie crops.

- Forecaster is a fine magazine, my #1

- McKeens is a close second, but I haven't seen it in print in a while. You can still buy it online though and print out the PDF

- Pooler's Guide has improved quite a bit since if first came out, but is still seems to have a heavy eastern bias (I'm in Alberta)

- The Hockey News is borderline crap imo

- The Sportsnet mag I purchased for the first time last year, and it had some interesting ways of presenting data, as well as some progressive pooling ideas, but a lot of how I prepare for draft day involves hard prediction numbers, so the "point range" predictions were not quite as useful

I bought Dobber's once before, but that was quite a few years ago, and I wan't impressed. I might have to check back because I think he was just starting out when I last bought, and I keep hearing it's decent.

Finally, I usually don't go into a draft without a copy of the Ultimate Pool Preview. The guy who runs it pretty much does what I had been painstakingly doing for years by hand, that is, running an average of all the projected numbers for all the players from every mag that I would get. It was hugely time consuming, and the UPP pretty much gives me those numbers (plus other useful stats like three year average, etc.) all in one editable spreadsheet.

Looking at this list I'm now wondering if I don't spend way more money on pooling than I actually win...

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
So yesterday I hit up the shell station next to my work 'cause I seem to recall magazines hitting the shelves on Tuesday, and saw the Pooler's Guide! Yess!! So I bought it without even thinking and then when I got home I realized IT WAS LAST YEARS COPY!!! What the hell do they still have like TEN copies of that on the shelf for??!?! I always thought they had a "display until" date!! Anyways it's my own fault for not even looking at the cover fully, but still :S

Well thats kind of cruel.

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
Has anyone ever looked at PrimePucks? They just put out a Fantasy Hockey Draft Guide for the seventh year in a row..I just bought it

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
I've bought Dobber when he first started out and loved his work...also have bought the Forecaster and THN....been buying the PrimePucks Draft Guide for the past 7 years...just came out today like Dobber's.

Sorry for the double post...didn't see the original get posted.

Rookie mistake

Pepsi

Mar 30, 2005
I've bought Dobber when he first started out and loved his work...also have bought the Forecaster and THN....been buying the PrimePucks Draft Guide for the past 7 years...just came out today like Dobber's.

Thanks for sharing! I have not heard about PrimePucks. I read on their website that they have feature articles (breakouts, sleepers, etc) and make projections for players.

Do they make projections for a lot of players, or only the top 100?
Do you know anything about the writers?
Is the $12 in Canadian or American money?
What is PrimePlus vs the Draft Guide? I wish they provided some more descriptions or an example of an old spreadsheet, so I could better see their product.

Has anyone else purchased this?

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
Good morning,

I saw your message and would like to answer your questions. I would also like to send you a past PP Fantasy Hockey Draft Guide for you to review. Provide me with your email and I'll send one over tonight.

The PP Draft Guide covers over 440 players. Every one of the 31 teams has their own page that include team synopsis, player's vital info like age, position, years in NHL, contract status and our projections for 2017-2018 along with a comment about each player.

Also included in the Draft Guide are 12 pages of feature articles focusing on Sleepers, Breakouts, & Dark Horses, Rebound players, etc. Plus a few other articles.

Then we breakdown the forwards into tiers. Same with defenseman. Then there's a goalie ranking page.

Then there is a 100+ player cheat sheet for those who don't want to bring a lot of papers to the draft.

I am willing to send anyone a past Draft Guide. Just message me here or send an email to me at [email protected]. I've been involved in fantasy hockey since 1994 and have been writing the Guide for the past 7. You just might be surprised.

Plus, the guide is updated throughout the preseason. All you have to do is download the purchase file from your website account profile.

All for $11.99 US dollar.

Any interest I can email anyone a PDF of a past Guide. Just send me a private message here or at [email protected]

Let me know

Thanks

Ray

Last edited:

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
I've also been involved in fantasy hockey pools since 1994 and have been writing for PP since 2011. I am one of the original partners.

I have been the head trader at one firm for over 33 years. Am married with 4 adult children. I have a Statiscal Analysis degree and have been involved in coaching baseball, softball, hockey and some basketball.

I believe the PrimePucks Draft Guide is on par with any of the magazines out there except for McKeens because we don't provide extensive analysis on prospects.

I hope that helps.

Ray

Last edited:

razor2112

Aug 2, 2017
New York
Thanks for sharing!

What is PrimePlus vs the Draft Guide? I wish they provided some more descriptions or an example of an old spreadsheet, so I could better see their product.

Has anyone else purchased this?

I will post something tonight on the website that describes the individual parts of PP more clearly. There is a section that describes each piece but perhaps that became disabled.

Thanks for your interest

Ray

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
So first you pretend to be an ordinary joe that's been buying the Prime Pucks guide for years and then it turns out you're actually one of the writers/partners? Bizarre and off-putting.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Can someone enlighten me on what these magazines possess that you can't access for free?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->