Fantasy GM Thread | Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
DREgger just saying there is interest for Jake. It would would be another problem child of similar age. What about that DeAngelo guy?

Reactions: David71

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
He's UFA this summer if he wants to explore his options.

Could be a decent Edler replacement.

Not sure we can afford him anyway
He would replace what Edler brings and then some, but his price would be high. Other problem is that he is injury prone. Him on the Canucks might not be a good combo since we have much more injuries than the average team (for whatever reason).

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I misread the situation there then. Too bad we missed out then.
He would have been a better acquisition than Schmidt. Slightly worse and more injury prone, and doesn't have the ability to play RD like Schmidt, but he's younger, was a little cheaper (I think), lower salary (and probably will sign for less than what Schmidt gets), and we wouldn't be helping a divisional rival fix their cap situation. Also much easier to trade at the deadline if we decide to do that, since he's not signed to a big long term contract.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
It’s funny seeing fans on these boards talk up Carlo when I distinctly remember in his draft year, as well as any dman of his ilk (being a big dfd) being guys most posters would lament as a “Benning meat and potatoes” pick and worst option to possible. This double standard doesn’t seem to get called out on these boards.

Not saying this because I’m a benning supporter or anything of that sort. I’ve been clamouring for Benning’s firing for years. Was choked we fired Gillis in the first place. Just pointing out the hypocrisy. Hopefully moving forward, we don’t label big dfd projected to go early in the draft as benning players as he’s never drafted that kind of defender asides from tryamkin. Hopefully us fans never actually have to use the term at all, at least in reference to the Canucks.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It’s funny seeing fans on these boards talk up Carlo when I distinctly remember in his draft year, as well as any dman of his ilk (being a big dfd) being guys most posters would lament as a “Benning meat and potatoes” pick and worst option to possible. This double standard doesn’t seem to get called out on these boards.

Not saying this because I’m a benning supporter or anything of that sort. I’ve been clamouring for Benning’s firing for years. Was choked we fired Gillis in the first place. Just pointing out the hypocrisy. Hopefully moving forward, we don’t label big dfd projected to go early in the draft as benning players as he’s never drafted that kind of defender asides from tryamkin. Hopefully us fans never actually have to use the term at all, at least in reference to the Canucks.
LOve t get a pick for Jake, and hopefully a second. Guys like Carlo, and other good D, come out of round two.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Not wanting to draft a sub 20 point defensive Dman at 23rd overall but liking the player and thinking he fits with our otherworldly diminutive offensive D isn’t hypocrisy.

Carlo wouldn’t have been the BPA at 23 even in hindsight.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

It's hypocrisy to want a guy who, 5.5 years post draft, has developed well, is a good player, and matches the mold of the player we just let walk, because 6 years ago we thought his draft position would be too high if we took him in slot we took Boeser?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So as a rental/short term cap dump...what about Ryan Murray from New Jersey? I bet Myers playing with him on the left side would straighten Myers right out.

He's UFA this summer if he wants to explore his options.

Could be a decent Edler replacement.

Not sure we can afford him anyway

Murray is an interesting target and fits the profile of guys interested in signing here as a UFA (Western Canadian guy, played just south of here in Everett) but acquiring him at the deadline would be extremely difficult given his $4.6 million cap hit and the fact that we have zero cap space. We'd pretty much have to be moving Eriksson the other way, or *two* of our other bad contracts.

He's a really good player when healthy and I'd have interest next summer, but people should also realize that he makes Chris Tanev look like an iron man.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Murray is an interesting target and fits the profile of guys interested in signing here as a UFA (Western Canadian guy, played just south of here in Everett) but acquiring him at the deadline would be extremely difficult given his $4.6 million cap hit and the fact that we have zero cap space. We'd pretty much have to be moving Eriksson the other way, or *two* of our other bad contracts.

He's a really good player when healthy and I'd have interest next summer, but people should also realize that he makes Chris Tanev look like an iron man.
For sure. Would have to be on a short term contract via UFA and after doing some digging and discussing with him and doctors on his overall health. I think i would only have interest if Edler hangs them up anyway.

Would rather we concentrate this coming off season to finding a good 3C. Our inability to have a 3rd line that supplies supplementary offense and not get worked over defensively is a big problem. Gaudette Virtanen Sutter Roussel have proven to be failures to provide fairly consistent results

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Would rather we concentrate this coming off season to finding a good 3C. Our inability to have a 3rd line that supplies supplementary offense and not get worked over defensively is a big problem. Gaudette Virtanen Sutter Roussel have proven to be failures to provide fairly consistent results

The absolute perfect fit here would be Phillip Danault but I doubt Montreal lets him get to UFA.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
The absolute perfect fit here would be Phillip Danault but I doubt Montreal lets him get to UFA.

Danault is reportedly wanting 5.5 and a top 6 role...but yes he would be ideal. I've also wondered how much Coleman would cost this offseason - he's definitely older but he could be a good target imo.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I've mentioned him before, but would a Henrique-Myers swap be any good. I know he has a horrible contract and has declined quite a bit, but if he's still capable he might fill that matchup, play driving #3 center role. Seems like a Sutter who can actually fit the role

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Danault is reportedly wanting 5.5 and a top 6 role...but yes he would be ideal. I've also wondered how much Coleman would cost this offseason - he's definitely older but he could be a good target imo.

Danault is having a bit of a down year offensively so I don't think he'll be getting that $5.5 million unless he really picks it up. Will be interesting to see.

Coleman is an excellent player but has played mainly wing over the past couple years.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Danault has like 1 one goal in his last 30 games and zeroes this year. I think he's out to lunch if he thinks he's making 6M. I'd give him around what Sutter makes in a Covid cap era.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Danault is way too good for a 3C role.

Depends on the structure. He's sort of playing that role in Montreal now, on a team with a deep forward group and 3 scoring lines. Suzuki is the #1, and Kotkaniemi gets soft ES minutes/PP time while Danault gets hard ES minutes/PK time.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Danault is way too good for a 3C role.
That’s why he’s perfect for it.

Look at Tampa.

That little cuss Yanni Gourde is a really important player for them. Well run teams can afford that. Same with a guy like Pageau.

I think we need to wait to acquire that long term 3C until the following off season.

Guys like Kadri, Trocheck, Zibenejad all hitting the market when most of the bad money is supposed to be gone.

Next season needs a 1-2 year stop gap 3C

Reactions: Momesso

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

I was thinking Sutter (another expiring contract) plus what ever his value would be in terms of futures. Virtanen+Roussel as the cap dump would be longer term too, and I don't feel Virtanen is in "cap dump" territory yet.

And by not playing him 30 minutes a night, like we have a few other more injury prone players, we could reduce injuries some. Also, my plan to play him with Myers would take some of the need for physicality and shot blocking away, and shift what ever target we have from Murray to Myers too.

My only concern, aside from the presumed trade cost, is we'd be moving to a system of rotating D that I proposed a few off seasons ago. Juolevi, Schmidt and, presumably, Edler, along with Chatfield, Rathbone and a who ever we find to shelter Hughes, playing on the right side.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Depends on the structure. He's sort of playing that role in Montreal now, on a team with a deep forward group and 3 scoring lines. Suzuki is the #1, and Kotkaniemi gets soft ES minutes/PP time while Danault gets hard ES minutes/PK time.
Team can’t afford a $5m 3C next season imo.

Like I said above. Wait a year. A new GM should do what Holland did with Edmonton. Smallish short term moves.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I've mentioned him before, but would a Henrique-Myers swap be any good. I know he has a horrible contract and has declined quite a bit, but if he's still capable he might fill that matchup, play driving #3 center role. Seems like a Sutter who can actually fit the role

I've wondered about Henrique as well - have not seen him play recently though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->