Fantasy GM Thread | Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Long post incoming:
This team isn't nearly as far from a cup as some might think. That's my opinion.
It's pretty obvious the sweet spot to target a cup run starts the season after next (2022-2023). That's when they get out from underneath pretty much all of their overpriced contracts and will have the ability to spend big to improve the team. Between now and then the job is to wait for good opportunities to fill the known gaps on the squad, signing Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko to reasonable contracts, and not handcuff themselves by signing anyone who doesn't fit into the teams long term picture.

Right now the 2022 roster looks like this:

Boeser - Pettersson - Miller
XXXX - Horvat - Hoglander
XXXX - XXXX - Podkolzin
XXXX - XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX

Hughes - XXXX
XXXX - Schmidt
Juolevi - Myers
XXXX

Demko
XXXX

Current cap committed for 2022 is 23.5 million (assuming Ferland is done). I personally think it's very likely that both pettersson and Hughes sign bridge deals. Given that there's likely to be a flat cap this year, both players aren't having breakout seasons this year, and that bridge deals are in vogue. So I'm guessing something like dual 3 x 7.5 deals is about right. For Demko it's a little harder to know what will happen, if he ends up with a sv% between .905 and .910 this year I bet he gets something like 2x 3.5 mill deal. Juolevi likely gets a 2-3 year deal but he's a #6 right now so I can't see him getting more than 1.5 million in his contract and Podkolzin adds another 1 mill with his ELC. That will make the total cap committed for 2022 42 million. Assuming the cap goes up modestly, say 4 million, in 2022, the Canucks will have roughly 40 million to fill out the rest of their roster.

Next year the cap situation improves slightly with Sutter, Baertschi, Spooner, and Edler relieving 14 million in cap, but given that 14-15 million will have to go to resigning demko, pettersson, and Demko, it's safe to say that there won't be many opportunities to take on cap without moving some out.

Some might say that the Canucks need more elite talent to put them over the top, but that's extremely hard to acquire, and I think the Canucks are better to build a team around great depth rather than paying out the nose to acquire another top 3 forward or #1 D. They would be right to bet on the guys they have now growing enough to get them over the top. So what would a cop contending Canucks team look like on opening night on 2022?

I'm going to fill in players from today regardless of their current commitment to other teams or age and using cap hits I think are about right.

Jaden Schwartz (5.3) - Horvat - Hoglander
Armia (2.5) – Pageau (5) - Podkolzin
Motte (1.5) – Nick Roy (1.5) – Will Carrier (1.5)
Depth guy 1 (.8) – Depth guy 2 (.8)

Hughes – Brandon Carlo (7)
Holden (5)- Schmidt
Juolevi - Myers
Woo/Rathbone (0.8)

Demko
Allen (3.5)

Obviously these are all pretty ideal contracts, but I’ve left 4 mill in space to spend so there’s some give. To me, this is a roster that could win it all. I’m going to look for moves in the next year or 2 that fit in with this. I don’t think we’ll be able to nab the #2 d-man or #2 LW until the 2022 offseason, but in the meantime I think Benning should look for smart 3rd/4th line acquisitions that don’t take a lot of cap. We need more Motte for Vanek type deals. I also think the Schmidt deal was really smart since it basically gave us a relatively cost controlled #3 guy that will still be in his prime for the window. Smarter than signing Tanev to a similar contract when he’s 2 years older and likely on the decline for the window.

Doing all this is going to be very tough for Benning as it takes rigorous pro-scouting and very savvy cap management. I’m not sure if he’s the guy for the job.

Edit: forgot to factor in Boeser's raise in 2022. Assume he gets something like 8.5 mill and remove all that flex room I baked in :)

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Long post incoming:
This team isn't nearly as far from a cup as some might think. That's my opinion.
It's pretty obvious the sweet spot to target a cup run starts the season after next (2022-2023). That's when they get out from underneath pretty much all of their overpriced contracts and will have the ability to spend big to improve the team. Between now and then the job is to wait for good opportunities to fill the known gaps on the squad, signing Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko to reasonable contracts, and not handcuff themselves by signing anyone who doesn't fit into the teams long term picture.

Right now the 2022 roster looks like this:

XXXX - Horvat - Hoglander
XXXX - XXXX - Podkolzin
XXXX - XXXX - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX

Hughes - XXXX
XXXX - Schmidt
Juolevi - Myers
XXXX

Demko
XXXX

Current cap committed for 2022 is 23.5 million (assuming Ferland is done). I personally think it's very likely that both pettersson and Hughes sign bridge deals. Given that there's likely to be a flat cap this year, both players aren't having breakout seasons this year, and that bridge deals are in vogue. So I'm guessing something like dual 3 x 7.5 deals is about right. For Demko it's a little harder to know what will happen, if he ends up with a sv% between .905 and .910 this year I bet he gets something like 2x 3.5 mill deal. Juolevi likely gets a 2-3 year deal but he's a #6 right now so I can't see him getting more than 1.5 million in his contract and Podkolzin adds another 1 mill with his ELC. That will make the total cap committed for 2022 42 million. Assuming the cap goes up modestly, say 4 million, in 2022, the Canucks will have roughly 40 million to fill out the rest of their roster.

Next year the cap situation improves slightly with Sutter, Baertschi, Spooner, and Edler relieving 14 million in cap, but given that 14-15 million will have to go to resigning demko, pettersson, and Demko, it's safe to say that there won't be many opportunities to take on cap without moving some out.

Some might say that the Canucks need more elite talent to put them over the top, but that's extremely hard to acquire, and I think the Canucks are better to build a team around great depth rather than paying out the nose to acquire another top 3 forward or #1 D. They would be right to bet on the guys they have now growing enough to get them over the top. So what would a cop contending Canucks team look like on opening night on 2022?

I'm going to fill in players from today regardless of their current commitment to other teams or age and using cap hits I think are about right.

Jaden Schwartz (5.3) - Horvat - Hoglander
Armia (2.5) – Pageau (5) - Podkolzin
Motte (1.5) – Nick Roy (1.5) – Will Carrier (1.5)
Depth guy 1 (.8) – Depth guy 2 (.8)

Hughes – Brandon Carlo (7)
Holden (5)- Schmidt
Juolevi - Myers
Woo/Rathbone (0.8)

Demko
Allen (3.5)

Obviously these are all pretty ideal contracts, but I’ve left 4 mill in space to spend so there’s some give. To me, this is a roster that could win it all. I’m going to look for moves in the next year or 2 that fit in with this. I don’t think we’ll be able to nab the #2 d-man or #2 LW until the 2022 offseason, but in the meantime I think Benning should look for smart 3rd/4th line acquisitions that don’t take a lot of cap. We need more Motte for Vanek type deals. I also think the Schmidt deal was really smart since it basically gave us a relatively cost controlled #3 guy that will still be in his prime for the window. Smarter than signing Tanev to a similar contract when he’s 2 years older and likely on the decline for the window.

Doing all this is going to be very tough for Benning as it takes rigorous pro-scouting and very savvy cap management. I’m not sure if he’s the guy for the job.

Edit: forgot to factor in Boeser's raise in 2022. Assume he gets something like 8.5 mill and remove all that flex room I baked in :)

would you be fine with having Beagle play 4th line for 1.5 million, the guy is a work horse, he blocks shots he wins draws......honestly if we could upgrade him I’m all for it, but knock a million off his contract and he is a pretty solid 4th line centre.
I don’t know anything about Nick Roy, certainly young versions of Beagle must exist, but I think he is a good leader and our team is gonna need some of that veteran playoff presence once we love on from the older guys, the current roster you have lacks that experience minus Carrier and Carlo ( who bring a good amount of exp)

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
would you be fine with having Beagle play 4th line for 1.5 million, the guy is a work horse, he blocks shots he wins draws......honestly if we could upgrade him I’m all for it, but knock a million off his contract and he is a pretty solid 4th line centre.
I don’t know anything about Nick Roy, certainly young versions of Beagle must exist, but I think he is a good leader and our team is gonna need some of that veteran playoff presence once we love on from the older guys, the current roster you have lacks that experience minus Carrier and Carlo ( who bring a good amount of exp)

Yea totally. I actually think our 4th line is pretty damn good now. It's just that we have no 3rd line. The players I'm using here are just examples. I guess I'm saying think of a guy of this quality in there.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Only playing 6 teams is a good way to think your bad players aren’t so bad.

They’re playing decently well but they’re only playing 20% of the league.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
how plausible do y'all think it is for lind to inflate his point totals with really good linemates in the ahl then be used as a sweetener to dump a bad contract with one year left

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
There is no point playing armchair GM with an idiot still in charge unless you are trying to imagine the stupid shit they might actually come up with.

Start with dealing Demko, Boeser and Gaudette trades to create cap space. Ship out our first for a 3rd line center like Rask to replace Sutter. Pay a 2nd to Seattle to keep them from selecting Myers.

That is how you play Armchair GM.

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
I think Carlo or Lauzon for that matter would be great adds, problem being is the cost. I don’t think they’re available for what the Canucks could offer.

We have assets, it's a matter of are we willing to part with them for what we could acquire. JT Miller for instance. I'm not necessarily advocating for his trade, it's just a question of what the plan is, and is an asset like Miller a better fit with that plan, or a young top notch defenceman? If we were on the cusp of contending I would absolutely keep him. With the state of things since the bubble, you can make a pretty good argument for the alternative. Can we fill in a top six winger role via Free Agency in the flat cap world (Saad, Hoffman) while improving our D? I think long-term deals for anyone other than absolute core players needs to be off the table.

Reactions: Elite Grinder

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Only playing 6 teams is a good way to think your bad players aren’t so bad.

They’re playing decently well but they’re only playing 20% of the league.
This doesn't make any sense. The teams they are restricted to playing had a better record last year than the mean of the league and a few of them made significant additions.

Reactions: sting101

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
This doesn't make any sense. The teams they are restricted to playing had a better record last year than the mean of the league and a few of them made significant additions.
What? We are 7 up and 11 down. We have a bunch of crappy older players sucking huge dollars. We lost our top goalie, top RW, and top RSD, because our GM (Jethro/Jethrine) couldn’t plan ahead. Thank goodness we had Bracket here the last few draft leading the charge for the scouts or our cupboards would be completely barren. In a fantasy world Bracket is still here, but as GM.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
What? We are 7 up and 11 down. We have a bunch of crappy older players sucking huge dollars. We lost our top goalie, top RW, and top RSD, because our GM (Jethro/Jethrine) couldn’t plan ahead.
The poster I responded to claimed without supplying any rationale that playing only 6 other teams rather than the entire league was likely to hide the Canucks' weaknesses.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
How would Brandon Carlo look on our back end? Paired with Hughes even?
Carlo would be like a best case scenerio aquisition he is EXACTLY the perfect Tanev replacement for our team and would be the best option partner for Hughes imo. Defensive rock tho not at all ADVENRUS in the offenzive zone

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think Carlo or Lauzon for that matter would be great adds, problem being is the cost. I don’t think they’re available for what the Canucks could offer.
Carlo is exactly why Benning should add second round picks, and use them - especially on D. It’s not even a fantasy world. Lots of very good D come out of round two. In a fantasy world we have a GM who understands that.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Carlo is exactly why Benning should add second round picks, and use them - especially on D. It’s not even a fantasy world. Lots of very good D come out of round two. In a fantasy world we have a GM who understands that.

The chance of getting a top 6 F/top 4 D in the 2nd round is around 11%. Obviously some drafts are better than others.

If you are going to trade the amount of 2nd Rd picks Benning has, the best players targeted can't be 10 games of Toffoli and Brandon Sutter. In the 2nds Benning has traded alone there is around 45% chance of getting at least 1 top 6/top 4.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The chance of getting a top 6 F/top 4 D in the 2nd round is around 11%. Obviously some drafts are better than others.

If you are going to trade the amount of 2nd Rd picks Benning has, the best players targeted can't be 10 games of Toffoli and Brandon Sutter. In the 2nds Benning has traded alone there is around 45% chance of getting at least 1 top 6/top 4.
Yep. We've also been picking high so our seconds are more like late 1sts.

Interestingly, in every draft from 2015 to 2019 there's been a dman tracking for top 4 or top pairing either on our 2nd round pick slot that we traded away, or one pick immediately after our draft slot: Andersson, Peeke, Hague, Romanov and Korczak.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So as a rental/short term cap dump...what about Ryan Murray from New Jersey? I bet Myers playing with him on the left side would straighten Myers right out.

Nov 1, 2011

No problem mortgaging the farm when we're close to try and get over the top.

...the team last year, despite a strong performance, wasn't close.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
No problem mortgaging the farm when we're close to try and get over the top.

...the team last year, despite a strong performance, wasn't close.

I don’t think we need to do much other than hold on to our existing draft picks. Ideally we could acquire more by moving out spare parts (Gaudette, Virtanen, Pearson) but those probably wouldn’t net you anything more than a 3rd rounder for each. Definitely do not want to start shipping picks out until 2 years from now

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
So as a rental/short term cap dump...what about Ryan Murray from New Jersey? I bet Myers playing with him on the left side would straighten Myers right out.
Lol short term cap dump? Murray is a #2-3D, the time to acquire him was in the summer. NJ is not letting him go.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Lol short term cap dump? Murray is a #2-3D, the time to acquire him was in the summer. NJ is not letting him go.
He's UFA this summer if he wants to explore his options.

Could be a decent Edler replacement.

Not sure we can afford him anyway

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
He's UFA this summer if he wants to explore his options.

Could be a decent Edler replacement.

Not sure we can afford him anyway
Maybe we can get him on a discount promising him to come play with Myers or Chatfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad