Fantasy Football Draft Discussion Thread II

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Fabinho totally slipped my mind this whole way along, Evilo. Great pick. He's one I often forget just because when I think of young Monaco fullbacks I think Kurzawa (who obviously doesn't play there anymore)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes there are several Monaco players that fly under the radar because of the poor media coverage and obvously number of fans.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yes there are several Monaco players that fly under the radar because of the poor media coverage and obvously number of fans.

What position are you playing Fabinho at?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think he's equally good at both. But I plan him at a particular position.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Dier is a solid player but there are several better unselected players with a similar profile as him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Dier is a solid player but there are several better unselected players with a similar profile as him.

I disagree with this. I have one guy that I ranked closely but he doesn't have Dier's CV especially internationally.

I feel like I rate midfielders differently than everyone else. I'm not trying to build an all star team. I'm trying to fit the right pieces together. There are not any other DM that can hold a three man DM for top ranked club and country, starting for both. Especially one that still has upside.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I disagree with this. I have one guy that I ranked closely but he doesn't have Dier's CV especially internationally.

I feel like I rate midfielders differently than everyone else.

What is so special about Dier's CV exactly? I wouldn't have taken him over most of the players on that list I sent you.

I feel like I rate midfielders differently than everyone else. I'm not trying to build an all star team. I'm trying to fit the right pieces together. There are not any other DM that can hold a three man DM for top ranked club and country, starting for both. Especially one that still has upside.

Oh but there are. Lots in fact.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What is so special about Dier's CV exactly? I wouldn't have taken him over most of the players on that list I sent you.

Oh but there are. Lots in fact.

Don't really agree. Everyone wants to trash Dier but in fact he is underrated because he is English. As I think LITN said earlier there have not been a lot of English players taken, and with good reason, but Dier actually has technical ability (probably due to his time in Portugal) and he can hold very proficiently.

How many other available midfielders start for their club team, and their national team, and have played at the level Dier has?

The list you sent me had good players for sure but they don't play like Dier does. I told you then, I'm not looking for 4231 CMs and that was the bulk of your list. Tottenham play a 4231, but it plays like 4141 with Dier holding and he also holds for England. And he does it very well.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Did not think Mane would go this early but he has been really good so far this season.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Dier is very good for his age. Don't know exactly what he'll develop into, but for a young midfielder that's a good pick. At this stage he wasn't really on my radar though. I was very pleased to get Khedira.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
There are a few midfielders I would take over Dier at this stage. I'll probably take one of them next.

Not a bad pick though. Young and talented. He was on my list.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Don't really agree. Everyone wants to trash Dier but in fact he is underrated because he is English. As I think LITN said earlier there have not been a lot of English players taken, and with good reason, but Dier actually has technical ability (probably due to his time in Portugal) and he can hold very proficiently.

How many other available midfielders start for their club team, and their national team, and have played at the level Dier has?

The list you sent me had good players for sure but they don't play like Dier does. I told you then, I'm not looking for 4231 CMs and that was the bulk of your list. Tottenham play a 4231, but it plays like 4141 with Dier holding and he also holds for England. And he does it very well.

Dier's technical ability and strategic understanding in possession are well below average for his position. Just like Casemiro's.

Why is it relevant if they start for their national team? Countries like Spain and Germany might have 10 or more DMs genuinely better than Dier.

He isn't underrated because he's English. He's overrated because he plays in the EPL.

I don't understand your obsession with a three man midfield. It really isn't that much more challenging than playing in a double 6. No, the bulk of my list wasn't "4-2-3-1" players or even players who play in a 4-2-3-1. But based on a whole 12 matches at national team level he's suddenly a bona fide "lone holder" while many of those others have played a lot more professional matches in a 4-3-3.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Dier's technical ability and strategic understanding in possession are well below average for his position. Just like Casemiro's.

Why is it relevant if they start for their national team? Countries like Spain and Germany might have 10 or more DMs genuinely better than Dier.

He isn't underrated because he's English. He's overrated because he plays in the EPL.

I don't understand your obsession with a three man midfield. It really isn't that much more challenging than playing in a double 6. No, the bulk of my list wasn't "4-2-3-1" players or even players who play in a 4-2-3-1. But based on a whole 12 matches at national team level he's suddenly a bona fide "lone holder" while many of those others have played a lot more professional matches in a 4-3-3.

Respectfully disagree. And I think being a starter at a national level certainly matters in the context of this. He is a bonafide holder because he team just finished 3rd in the PL with him holding, and he has established himself as Undroppable for his national team.
You saying he is overrated because he is in PL kind of proves my point. Unfortunately I deleted your list because I would love another glance at it :)

I don't need Dier or Casemiro to be super technical, but both are certainly proficient enough in that department, and are much better positionally than you give credit for. Also both are young and are growing into that position. They will improve. A lot of teams have a veteran guy in that spot. I have two young guys who can do it very well, and are getting better

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Respectfully disagree. And I think being a starter at a national level certainly matters in the context of this. He is a bonafide holder because he team just finished 3rd in the PL with him holding, and he has established himself as Undroppable for his national team.
You saying he is overrated because he is in PL kind of proves my point. Unfortunately I deleted your list because I would love another glance at it :)

I don't need Dier or Casemiro to be super technical, but both are certainly proficient enough in that department, and are much better positionally than you give credit for. Also both are young and are growing into that position. They will improve. A lot of teams have a veteran guy in that spot. I have two young guys who can do it very well, and are getting better

Well EPL players get overrated because people here watch them the most and that creates an echo chamber about how good they are. I wonder where Insigne would have been taken if he had put up a season like that in the EPL for instance.

There are still two or three still unselected DMs who play for high profile CL clubs whom I would take over Dier no questions asked.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well EPL players get overrated because people here watch them the most and that creates an echo chamber about how good they are. I wonder where Insigne would have been taken if he had put up a season like that in the EPL for instance.

There are still two or three still unselected DMs who play for high profile CL clubs whom I would take over Dier no questions asked.

Prove it :)

Insigne doesn't fit my profile. He is nice but he doesn't play in my team. I am not going to get into too much detail why but you can probably figure it out.

As I have said from the beginning I am going to make a team that makes sense. My team makes sense. I'm not taking an all star team necessarily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad