Fantasy Fiction League

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Hi everyone, I'm not sure where to post this because it has several different components, so I am going to leave it here and in the fantasy sports section.

I have a conceptual idea that I am developing to combine fantasy sports with iconic pop culture characters from television, movies, comics, gaming, ect. Ignore the licensing issues for now, that is another topic entirely.

I'm not sure if any or all of you play fantasy sports or know anything about them, but the basic idea is to draft your own team of players from whatever sport is currently in-season, and use the accumulation of their real life stats to compete with other players. I am sure you know at least that much.

My idea is to create a league where not only is a roster of athletes drafted, but also a cast of characters. Each team would draft the same amount of characters as athletes, with the intention of pairing each athlete with a character.

Now, athletes are easy to measure in terms of fantasy sports because they have quantifiable stats. With characters, they would not be measured at all. Each character would come equipped with specific "abilities" unique to its fictional personality that affect the athlete that it is paired with. As an example, I draft Tom Brady as well as Darth Vader. I choose to pair Vader with Brady, and for whatever the duration they are paired Tom Brady's stats are affected by 'x', or whatever Vader's "abilities" turn out to be.

The effects of the characters don't have to be limited to just effecting stats either. Maybe they effect lineups, or my opponent's lineups. Maybe they affect my opponent's players. Maybe they affect other characters' abilities, and so on and so forth, you get the idea. The permutations are at the mercy of imagination.

The point of the league is to combine two of my passions; sports, and iconic characters that I know and love, and have the chance to consume both at the same time. There would seem to be a unique opportunity to harness the feeling of "owning", or at least abstractly tying one's self to favorite players and apply that to favorite characters as well.

Right now I'm really just putting feelers out there to see if people would even be interested in this sort of thing, or if I am crazy and the idea is stupid. Even if you don't like fantasy sports I would value the feedback given here if anyone would be interested in taking the time.

The idea isn't refined at all, there are so many details to cover and I am currently writing a business plan for everything I need to do, but this is the basic premise of the idea and I'd like to know if it has merit, even though I know licensing such a thing would be close to impossible.

Say Hey Kid

NY was his town & it always would be
Dec 10, 2007
... Now, athletes are easy to measure in terms of fantasy sports because they have quantifiable stats. ...
I'm interested, but what are you going to do to generate the athletes' stats when they are are in their off season?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'm interested, but what are you going to do to generate the athletes' stats when they are are in their off season?

The premise would be to involve all four major sports to begin. Not at the same time, obviously, but the same rendition for fantasy football, basketball, baseball, and hockey.

So, in essence, the concept would exist in four different iterations for each sport that is in-season. The differences would only be in how each character interacts with its paired athlete, but that can be done fairly simply by switching out effects that are dependent on stats.

For example, maybe Batman adds 'X' amount of points to a QB in fantasy football based on his given "ability". That can be transposed to fantasy basketball as adding 'X' amount of points to a point guard in basketball, or an outfielder in baseball, or a center in hockey. That is a boring example, but its just to illustrate the point.

For effects that affect other, non-quantifiable things, the abilities would port over exactly. For instance, maybe Darth Vader has the ability to incapacitate one player on my opponent's lineup in some way. That can be ported over from league to league without really losing much effect.

There would be definite differences, but that's how I have it worked out currently.

Say Hey Kid

NY was his town & it always would be
Dec 10, 2007
Quantifying some character's abilities such as having good luck or giving bad luck could be interesting.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Quantifying some character's abilities such as having good luck or giving bad luck could be interesting.

Absolutely, there is no limit to what applying a character to an athlete could do.

I'm currently creating the list of characters I would want to include, and then creating an abilities tree to derive from for each one.

What about the idea is interesting to you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->