Fantasy Draft Advice

Highbuds

Jun 8, 2005
Looking for some advice on who to take with my top pick.

It's a pretty deep keeper league which means that the top picks of the recent NHL draft will be the top picks in my fantasy draft.

I'm in an interest spot with the 3rd pick.

I imagine the top two will be MacKinnon and Drouin. Winning the lottery would be the only way I would get either which would be the best case scenario. Not sure who I would take.

Most likely scenario has me picking 3rd, however 4th is a possibility as well.

I'm looking at Barkov, Jones or E. Lindholm and always take the BPA. Following the draft order that would be Barkov. However, I've coveted Lindholm for sometime and find him to have better fantasy potential. Maybe I just don't know much about Barkov and am underestimating his fantasy value.

Would picking Jones be my best choice? The best defenseman available. Just always hesitated taking a defenseman with my top choice in this league. Especially, with a top 3 pick in a deep draft.

This is a ten team keeper league with equal points for goals, assists and plus/minus. You would likely keep this player for the next 7-10 years barring trades.

My question is:

With all things being equal who would you chose with the 3rd pick?

Maybe there's a different choice?

Any insight would be welcome. I'm leaning towards Lindholm, but, obviously I'm having second thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

whlscowt

It's a tough decision that I think most people drafting in the 3-hole will face this year. You really can't go wrong with either, and in such situations I normally say just go with the player you like--especially if this is a league you expect to be in for years and years. No use holding onto a player you don't like.

However, because your league is small (even if it is a deep draft, it's 10 teams) and the short list of scoring categories I think the right choice is going with Jones. He'll be more fantasy relevant for you early on, and he has the potential to be a top 5-10 player for his position under that scoring criteria down the road. I can't say the same for the forwards. They'll be good-- but I don't know if they'll be that good.

Barkov's great--love the player, but he might never play top minutes for Florida because of the cast that's there (I guess it depends what happens with Huberdeau and if they put him back to the middle)--same with Lindholm (especially for the next few years with the top 6 positions pretty locked tight) whereas there is talk that Jones is going to play alongside Weber right from the start.

Under different circumstances I'd probably lean forward, but I just can't imagine any of those forwards having the value of Jones in a league like yours.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
I would trade down a spot or two and get Jones or Monahen. Yes I did say Sean Monahan because he's in the best situation. Calgary believe in him and he might become a top center they were looking for. When you are drafting after the entry draft, always pick what the player can contribute to X team and what are they expected to accomplish fom the get go. Like for instant I won the lottery pick in my league and went from 3rd to 1st. Then traded the 1st +++ for 2nd + +++. Then I took Drouin since I strongly believe Tampa at would pick him there and the thought of him playing on a line with Stamkis was just too great to pass up. Then I was drafting at 4,6,17... I was able to get Barkov since Jones went at 3. Then I took a gamble on Monahan since I though that Calgary would snag them there and got Lazar at 17. So in reality I was spot since Drouin was drafted by TBL, Barkov was a steal at 4th, Monahan was indeed drafted by Calgary and Lazar was taken at 17th overall. By the way I got Connor Hurley at 71st overall when in reality he was taken at 36th overall..

Here s my draft

2nd overall- Jonathan Drouin
4th overall- Aleksander Barkov
6th overall- Sean Monahan
17th overall- Curtis Lazar
33 overall- Marko Dano
35th overall- Ian McCoshen
41th overall- Artturi Lehkomen(just too good to pass up fantasy wise)
47th overall- Anthony Duclair- the kid took a step back this year but the kid got everything from speed,hands,accuracy,foot steps, hard shot to become a star. Will see if he got heart to ake it happen.
55th overall- Nick Sorensen- injuries got the best of him. If he can stay healthy he ll be a heck of steal at this position. The kid is mature behind is years. He just need to stay healthy.
71st overall- he's a project that become a grand slam. Very happy to get such a talent at this spot.
78th overall- Vincent Dunn- I know he went much later then anticipated but I m till happy he fell to Ottawa. This kid is one of the youngest draftee in the draft and had a point per game avg. not bad at all. He just need to show maturerity and be respectfull toward is peer.
79. Adam Tambellini- another project with history with the NHL(bloodline). A great shooter and accuracy is there but he need to be able to compete with the best.
89. Michael Downing- a solid D that can be trusted with any and every task giving. Should become a DD that plays Top 4.

How did I do with my drafting ? Like I mention we started and finish the draft before the real one started. We are 18gm.

Highbuds

Jun 8, 2005
Thanks very much for the feedback. Much appreciated.

TheNudge - That's a great draft! If I came away with Drouin, Barkov and Monahan it would be a great day. Unfortunately, I only have the one pick in the first - but, I do have two seconds.

Thanks again!

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
Try and get a top 7 by trading down and getting a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad