Fantasy baseball

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
League is set up

Okay guys the league is set up on Yahoo, it's a head to head league. Live draft on Sunday March 25th at 11am est. We will have a 12 team league, if it's not full by Saturday March 24th at 11am est I will close the league at whatever number of teams we have.

The league name is HFNHL and the password is HFNHL2012

We will make it a keeper league so it will continue each year, I will say 5 keepers per team that will allow for 25% roster to be kept. If anybody thinks this should be different we can discuss.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Okay guys the league is set up on Yahoo, it's a head to head league. Live draft on Sunday March 25th at 11am est. We will have a 12 team league, if it's not full by Saturday March 24th at 11am est I will close the league at whatever number of teams we have.

The league name is HFNHL and the password is HFNHL2012

We will make it a keeper league so it will continue each year, I will say 5 keepers per team that will allow for 25% roster to be kept. If anybody thinks this should be different we can discuss.

Jon - it asks for the league number (not name) when I try to join. Do you have that handy? And what's the setup - 5x5, 6x6...?

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
That's got me in, thanks Jon. Interesting categories - lots of offensive categories. Was there a defensive category option? Might make for some interesting different choices. But with the singles/doubles/triples categories added to the standard offensive categories, it's already weighted towards hitters over pitchers.

One question: in Yahoo, does "standard draft" mean a serpentine draft, or a draft order like the NHL?

Also, how does the minimum innings pitched (50) requirement work in a weekly head-to-head league?

Last edited:

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
That's got me in, thanks Jon. Interesting categories - lots of offensive categories. Was there a defensive category option? Might make for some interesting different choices. But with the singles/doubles/triples categories added to the standard offensive categories, it's already weighted towards hitters over pitchers.

One question: in Yahoo, does "standard draft" mean a serpentine draft, or a draft order like the NHL?

Also, how does the minimum innings pitched (50) requirement work in a weekly head-to-head league?

The draft is serpentine. Also I added loses, holds and complete games for pitchers to even out the categories between the two and also give a touch more value to relievers. I lowered the minimum innings to 15. I'm not sure your pitchers stats would count if your team didn't have a total of 50 innings pitched.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Cool, the Springfield Isotopes are lookin' forward to it. :)

Springfield_Isotopes

Last edited:

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Any chance we could change the draft time? I have a baptism to attend that day. If everyone wants to keep it as is, I understand. Even something later that Sunday (evening) would be better for me. I'd love to sign up, but probably won't if I can't make the draft.

Last edited:

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
Any chance we could change the draft time? I have a baptism to attend that day. If everyone wants to keep it as is, I understand. Even something later that Sunday (evening) would be better for me. I'd love to sign up, but probably won't if I can't make the draft.

I have no problem doing it later that sunday evening around 5pm est? That would be the last weekend to do it otherwise we miss week 1 because there are games in Japan on the Wednesday of that week. I doubt anybody wants to draft on a weekday.

So how is a time on that Sunday between 5 and 9 pm I have to take what's available.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Got 10 teams now, which would do. Still room for two more though.

I checked, and apparently Yahoo doesn't calculate a minimum innings pitched in a head-to-head format, so it doesn't matter what our setting is.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Got 10 teams now, which would do. Still room for two more though.

I checked, and apparently Yahoo doesn't calculate a minimum innings pitched in a head-to-head format, so it doesn't matter what our setting is.

Yes, I added a non HFNHL friend - who I am still trying to sign up as my AGM - Kirk will know him as he is the commish of my re-draft league - his name is Roy...

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Yes, I added a non HFNHL friend - who I am still trying to sign up as my AGM - Kirk will know him as he is the commish of my re-draft league - his name is Roy...

And on the adding non-HFNHL friend note...I can add one as well if need be. Right now he will end up being registered as a co-owner of my team but I can get him to take his own team if we end up at 11 people leading up to the draft. Still plenty of time to go though so if we can get a couple more HFNHLers I'll keep him as my co-owner.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Hey Jon et al. A few questions...

Min Innings Pitched: 15
... this means that your pitchers have to get at least 15 innings' work in for your pitching categories to count in a given week, right? Is there a maximum as well? I guess this is just to require teams to dress a couple of starters.

Max Acquisitions per Week: 6
So we can only add up to 6 players per week via... free agency and waivers, is that it? I don't know how this compares to other leagues, does this setting encourage or discourage pitcher streaming? Which brings us to...

Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow
Does this mean daily lineup changes? This would seem to encourage pitcher streaming, but I'm not sure how it factors into the Max Acq/Wk number. There's a two-day wait for waivers, but I believe there's no waiting period for a free agent... I just know that the more I read up on fantasy baseball, the more I realize I don't particularly enjoy the idea of having to pick up and sub in junk pitchers every night in order to be competitive.

Playoffs: None
Interesting. I guess I thought the point of a H2H league was that it gave you the possibility of playoffs - more fun, more realistic, I think (although I suppose it's a bummer for the handful of teams that wouldn't make the playoffs that the last couple of weeks of the season wouldn't matter).

Finally, do we know if there are two more GMs joining, or can we plan for being a 10-team league?

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
Hey Jon et al. A few questions...

Min Innings Pitched: 15
... this means that your pitchers have to get at least 15 innings' work in for your pitching categories to count in a given week, right? Is there a maximum as well? I guess this is just to require teams to dress a couple of starters.

Max Acquisitions per Week: 6
So we can only add up to 6 players per week via... free agency and waivers, is that it? I don't know how this compares to other leagues, does this setting encourage or discourage pitcher streaming? Which brings us to...

Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow
Does this mean daily lineup changes? This would seem to encourage pitcher streaming, but I'm not sure how it factors into the Max Acq/Wk number. There's a two-day wait for waivers, but I believe there's no waiting period for a free agent... I just know that the more I read up on fantasy baseball, the more I realize I don't particularly enjoy the idea of having to pick up and sub in junk pitchers every night in order to be competitive.

Playoffs: None
Interesting. I guess I thought the point of a H2H league was that it gave you the possibility of playoffs - more fun, more realistic, I think (although I suppose it's a bummer for the handful of teams that wouldn't make the playoffs that the last couple of weeks of the season wouldn't matter).

Finally, do we know if there are two more GMs joining, or can we plan for being a 10-team league?

Hey Doug yes 15 minimum inning it sort of prevent s a guy from pitching his closer one once and having a total ERA of zero and winning the points for ERA.

Yes only a maximum of 6 players maybe picked up per week.

Daily lineup changes is to have pitcher streaming, however there is little point in picking up a **** pitcher to get inning since categories like ERA, L, and WHIP will likely take a big hit.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North

With Jeff's friend/co-owner available to take a team, that gives us 12 guys.

Hey Doug yes 15 minimum inning it sort of prevent s a guy from pitching his closer one once and having a total ERA of zero and winning the points for ERA.

Yes only a maximum of 6 players maybe picked up per week.

Daily lineup changes is to have pitcher streaming, however there is little point in picking up a **** pitcher to get inning since categories like ERA, L, and WHIP will likely take a big hit.

From what I've been reading (being a fantasy baseball n00b), I gather the idea with streaming is to pick up guys who aren't necessarily crap (in a 12-team AL/NL mixed league, there should be plenty of decent quality pitchers available as free agents at any given moment), but are heading into favourable matchups - pitchers parks against weak hitting teams, lefties against lineups that struggle against them, etc. But you're right, at least a couple of our categories should help mitigate at least a little bit against that practice.

Not to worry, though. I look at this season as being an opportunity to learn, so just hoping I understand enough of what's going on to be able to at least be modestly competitive.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
I'd like to wait until Saturday to see if we get one more HFNHL guy to join. If not than I have no problem with having Jeff's buddy take the last spot.

As would I. Without him I'm totally screwed. :help:

There has to be someone else in here that's willing to take a team on....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->